Do NOT try and catch that rocket........................

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxQ

Tripoli 2747
Reaction score
Recovering Shuttle SRBs.......
Arcing over at 1:13.
Think these are sonic booms at 6:03

[video=youtube;Gbtulv0mnlU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbtulv0mnlU[/video]

Last edited:
It would be very surprising to me if recovering and reusing the SRBs was actually more cost effective than making new ones for each mission.

There doesn't appear to be much to them after they're recovered except for an empty shell which needs to be completely dismantled and cleaned before it can be put back together and reused. The cost of new empty shells seems like it would be much less than the cost of maintaining those two ships, the crew to get the SRBs, the cleaning and refurbishing of the shells, etc.

Anyone have a breakdown on these expenses?

It would be very surprising to me if recovering and reusing the SRBs was actually more cost effective than making new ones for each mission.

There doesn't appear to be much to them after they're recovered except for an empty shell which needs to be completely dismantled and cleaned before it can be put back together and reused. The cost of new empty shells seems like it would be much less than the cost of maintaining those two ships, the crew to get the SRBs, the cleaning and refurbishing of the shells, etc.

I know I want my casings back after a flight! Hah.

Well, if you can believe this. NO figures given in the report, just this claim:

"Refurbishment of SRB components is cost effective and conserves resources. This allows for reuse of SRB's, thus saving money for the program versus building new SRB's for each launch."

SRB REFURBISHMENT PRACTICES

https://oce.jpl.nasa.gov/practices/ops01.pdf

Back