Personal Launch Report -- Tampa Bay Rocket Association Dec. 23 2023

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joekeyo

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Strongest wind that I have experienced at this location. Even using a JLCR, I walked over 2 1/2 miles.
Launched 4, 3 recovered.

First was the "Bumblebee" - long 3" BMS School Rocket pictured. Used G53-6FJ (drilled). Nominal flight. Altimeter indicated 1330'. Love the black smoke. I tested a new parachute that I made for my larger rockets. I thought the shroud lines were a little too long, so I reefed the shroud lines. The parachute had excellent performance. It was still billowing after the rocket landed.

Second was the SPEV 24 on an AT E28-7T. Good flight. Maiden flight. Its the black and white rocket pictured below. The rocket was inspired by NC and CRs 3D printed, as well as plywood, all provided by a friend (Thanks, Tom). The flight was nominal with no perceived roll. Good motor for this rocket, flew to a dot.

Third was the Big Daddy on a F35-6W (drilled). Good flight (mostly). Due to the high winds, it weather-cocked. It was down range at deployment and drifted further down range under the chute. After a prolonged search, I found the rocket in a cattle pond. The rocket was wet but intact. The rocket and electronics are drying out. We shall see.

The last flight for me, and the last flight at the range that day, was my BT-60 Alpha clone on a C6-7. Lost visual contact, lost rocket. I maintained visual contact with the rocket through the streamer deployment and early part of the recovery. Then I lost contact with the rocket. Since I was the only one watching it, the rocket was lost.

I would have launched more, but I spent a long time recovering my rockets.

spev24.jpgbumblebee.jpg

Back