New Estes Honest John now in stock

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EXPjawa

Reaction score
To anyone that's been waiting for the new Estes BT-60 Honest John (#7240), their site now shows it in stock. In fact, there is nothing on the "Coming Soon" page anymore, its all been moved over to the new release page. I just ordered one, and took the opportunity to order a pair of Scions, the only PSII kit I don't have.

I was really hoping this would be a PSII kit. Guess an F-35 will have to do.

Its probably a fair bet that Estes isn't doing anything more with the PSII line, at least not the builder's kits that might have some weight to them. Everything that we're seeing seems to indicate that they're selling off what stock is left, and finding new ways of selling some aspects of that (ie Scion & Sahara using up parts from other models). To add a scale-type like the Honest John when they seem to be divorcing themselves from rebranded Aerotech motors would be counter productive. I suppose they could update the old Maxi Honest John, but that used BT-80 tubing and not the heavier wall 2.5" from the PSII line. It would be nice if they did something like that, but until such time, I guess we'll have to be satisfied with this or maybe one of the Mad Cow kits...

Its starting to look like I'm going to have to expand into other manufacturers. I've held to Estes and scratch builds my whole life. But if they aren't going to evolve into true MPR, I'll have to look elsewhere.

The PSII line was a major factor for me entering 29mm motors and getting my L1. I may use AT motors, but I fly Estes rockets. That should say something to them. And there are always multiple people flying PSII kits at the launches. They are very popular.

I agree - I'm in the same boat. PSII kits are every launch that I've been to (and I don't mean the ones I bring), they're everywhere. I'm surprised that Estes seems willing to forgo that, but it does seem like that's the direction. But that's neither here nor there - I'm excited to get this HoJo kit. It might wind up at the top of build pile shortly. It sounds like it should have nice detail, within reason, and is a nice size for small to medium fields (its just about the same size as the BT-60 Nike Smoke I just built). I've been wanting to build an Honest John for a while, but the mini engine kit doesn't appear to be a good flyer, and I'm reluctant to actually build the Maxi Brute kit I managed to get a hold of. The likelihood is I'll wind up building a couple copies of the BT-60 HoJo, like I did with the V-2.

My mini flies well on an A10-3T, but Honest Johns are bad ass enough that a mini size doesn't cut it for cool factor.

Back