John Boren Interview On The Model Rocket Show

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott_650

Reaction score
Some tantalizing stuff from JB’s interview on TMRS 3.1:

- A new upscale using the 3” PSII DBRM nose cone. Which will it be? Here’s an edited list of most of the kits that used the 60AH cone, my guess is the Maxi Icarus or the Omega but wouldn’t an upscaled Patrol Cruiser Excalibur be awesome? Unlikely but awesome.

Patriot
Omega
Renegade
Mean Machine
Blue Ninja
Maxi Icarus
Patrol Cruiser Excalibur
Long John Silver
Arrow
Army Hawk
Screamin' Mimi

So what’s your guess?

- the new 29mm F50-ish motor is pretty much done testing and coming in the next year or so.

- a two-stage “minimum diameter” which I assume is BT-60 based, PSII kit.

- as has been discussed many, many times the “classic” plywood parts PSII kits - Leviathan, Argent, Ventris etc won’t be back unless Estes comes up with motors to fly them.

- Boren pretty much came out and said that the Mercury Atlas is coming soon.

- glider and helicopter kits don’t sell well but John loves designing them so we’ll keep seeing them but not too many at a time.

- a possible sci-fi kit that JB hasn’t shown management yet that he said was even more intricate than the QCC Explorer and the Black Star Voyager (his favorite design, by the way).

- a possible new scale sounding rocket.

- JB talked about Estes’ efforts to work out licensing with aerospace companies for additional scale kits. He talked at length about his personal Soyuz build.

- some possible new building tools - I’m betting sets of the slip-on style fin alignment tools.

- bring-backs will be one or two a year or every two years - John related he likes upsizing the bring-backs, they’re more interesting to design.

Which will it be? Here’s an edited list of most of the kits that used the 60AH cone,
It is worth noting that the BNC/PNC-55AO nose cone has a very similar shape to the 60-sized cone used in the kits you listed. Perhaps the list of upscaling possibilities should be expanded to include kits that used those cones?

There's a 226% Bandit in the corner of my workshop, f'rinstance...

MEGA MEAN MACHINE PLZ

The rest is great news, but I wish they would tell us when the B.O.S.S. is coming out.
Not sure how heavy a 3” MMM would end up - but if they do one I hope it’s in a classic livery, the current “car-toons” style decal doesn’t do much for me - but the packaging alone probably means it isn’t likely. But a 12 foot tall MMM would be pretty nifty!

It is worth noting that the BNC/PNC-55AO nose cone has a very similar shape to the 60-sized cone used in the kits you listed. Perhaps the list of upscaling possibilities should be expanded to include kits that used those cones?

There's a 226% Bandit in the corner of my workshop, f'rinstance...
I’d go for a Big Bandit - though once you open the 55AO box there’s some intriguing possibilities, a big BOMARC for instance? Or, even though they’ve been done elsewhere, a Big Blue Bird Zero, Goblin or Scamp?

But my choice from the 55AO cone kits is, of course, Space Station Aquarius!

Some tantalizing stuff from JB’s interview on TMRS 3.1:

- a two-stage “minimum diameter” which I assume is BT-60 based, PSII kit.

The SO LONG kit is the new PSII minimum diameter kit.

The SO LONG model is two stage 29mm motor powered. It uses 29mm tubes and a new long cone shaped nose cone. It will go over 3000 feet with 'F' motors.

The SO LONG kit is the new PSII minimum diameter kit.

The SO LONG model is two stage 29mm motor powered. It uses 29mm tubes and a new long cone shaped nose cone. It will go over 3000 feet with 'F' motors.
Some kits just name themselves, I guess.

All this has me very excited, actually. I’ll definitely be adjusting my “to build” list based on this.

Just curious: where can I get the episode? It doesn’t appear to be on the show’s website, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or Google Podcasts.

My vote: OMEGA! Though I wouldn't be surprised if it was the Citation Patriot or Maxi Icarus.

I would look at the classic 55AO models. The Bandit would be my first choice. A PSII Goblin would be straightforward, or possibly a Photon Probe??

Just curious: where can I get the episode? It doesn’t appear to be on the show’s website, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or Google Podcasts.
Patreon supporters get early access - not sure when they open up for full-access but it’s not long.

I would look at the classic 55AO models. The Bandit would be my first choice. A PSII Goblin would be straightforward, or possibly a Photon Probe??
I’d be surprised if it’s Goblin since you can already get a big Goblin from NCR or LOC. A big Photon Probe would be a surprise but a pleasant one!

I’d be surprised if it’s Goblin since you can already get a big Goblin from NCR or LOC. A big Photon Probe would be a surprise but a pleasant one!
The NCR and LOC versions are GINOs, the nosecone is all wrong. Well, the NCR is a Hobgoblin. The Goblin was the first thing that popped in my head as it is still a reasonable size for an F15 motor.

The NCR and LOC versions are GINOs, the nosecone is all wrong. Well, the NCR is a Hobgoblin. The Goblin was the first thing that popped in my head as it is still a reasonable size for an F15 motor.
Well, considering the rivalry between Team Goblin and Team DRM you could be right - a 3” Goblin might even work over a adapted E12, which some of the other possibilities wouldn’t.

Patreon supporters get early access - not sure when they open up for full-access but it’s not long.
Their last episode that’s available elsewhere was put out in February. Looks like I’m coughing up.
A screen cap from the Estes presentation during NARCON courtesy of “turbofireball” on YORF showing the So Long:
That’s pretty!

James, do you think Galactic Manufacturing will make/sell the plywood fins and CR’s for it?
Probably, as Mike cut the fin cores for me. I just need to finish the model and snap some photos.

It's Mike's final decision, though.

It's been over a week...cmon' guys. It's gonna be irrelevant by the time you post the episode...

Back