65th Anniversary Estes Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool. I wonder why a balsa cone was chosen when the blow molded BBIII cone was available?

Could just be nostalgia and the "limited edition" factor. Seems like a run of 300 nose cones would probably be a quick, nice little job for some Chinese or maybe even onshore maker.
My guess is the balsa NC is both nostalgia and to make the kit feel “premium”.

The nose cone is different than the plastic cone that is currently available. When compared, the straight part of the nose cone is shorted on the balsa version as compared to the plastic. The profile is also just ever so slightly thicker as it tapers up toward the tip.

Interestingly the plastic nose cone looks more accurate when compared with the face card. The Balsa cone doesn't really have much of a flat side and what is there is much shorter than what is in the picture. If you want it to look like the face card you're better off using the plastic cone which is what anyone looking to clone this is going to need to do anyway.

I'm going to get started on cutting parts for a BT55 upscale for my next build.

19.jpg

Can we see it with the forward ends of the tenons in line?

I’d look myself but mine is still in Penrose for whatever reason.

Can we see it with the forward ends of the tenons in line?

I’d look myself but mine is still in Penrose for whatever reason.
I thought mine was stuck in Penrose (that's what the last USPS tracking status I had for it was) but then this morning it was in my Informed Delivery email and it did in fact arrive today. The box was in MUCH better condition than the one Ron (@Ronz Rocketz) got there in Hawaii.

Perhaps later this evening I can take that nose cone comparison picture for you. I have a Crossfire ISX kit out of the stash that I was going to build, so I can open it to get that nose cone out.

I just built a clone of it from the pictures. Turned out decent and pretty close to the kit.View attachment 574851
It’s missing something. I like the pattern, and I’m impressed with the quick cloning effort, but the 65th Anniversary graphic gives it a label, a face, something to connect with, that is not present here.

I feel like it needs the name plastered on it somewhere.

Here is my best guess for the Blue Sapphire Fins base on the pics posted above, since they included a scale (thank you for posting them), I was able to import the pics into CAD and get pretty close. Added the decals.
The E-Bay prices are total ridiculous so let the cloning begin.

Drawings for the fins were revised to match the scans recently posted on FB. Also here is a full size PDF. I rearrange the fins to fit on 3" balsa sheet.

Attachments

• Blue Sapphire Fins & Decals.jpg
    Blue Sapphire Fins & Decals.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Blue Sapphire Fins & Decals.pdf
    117.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
The EBay prices make me wish I'd bought a few. My buddy is thinking of selling his but it's opened so I'm not sure he'll get much but at least we were able to get the measurements out there for people to clone them.

I am willing to trade my Blue Sapphire towards a Black Star Explorer. It's the only "vintage" one I don't have that will be to much of a PITA to clone.

The EBay prices make me wish I'd bought a few. My buddy is thinking of selling his but it's opened so I'm not sure he'll get much but at least we were able to get the measurements out there for people to clone them.
I had to look at the ebay prices and it is surprising. I guess I could trade my kit for a 54/1706 case or a Loki J-474-CT reload.

Can someone post a hi-res scan of the face card? At least the 65th Anniversary logo part.

Back