2-Stage Estes Indicator Upscale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy cow !

I saw the connection clips on the receiver and it looks like maybe a clip whip could be connected for Estes ignitors, as long as it provides enough current ?

For $30, it is worth a shot !

Thanks again !

-- kjh
It should easily provide enough current for the MJG igniters. I have also successfully used it with Estes igniters, but I haven't tried them clustered in parallel yet.

For my Estes igniters, I just cannibalized about 3 feet of cable with flat clips from an old/broken Estes controller. I'm sure you could easily do the same with some cheap alligator test leads from Amazon or a local electronics store.

How did you make out? I have a customer asking if the alpha would fire the estes igniters. I knjow they provide the current, but not sure if they need a longer pulse.
100% success rate so far. Small sample size of only about 10 flights though, including 5ish on this rocket.

FWIW I used MJG igniters for most of these launches, especially the clusters. But it seems to fire single Estes igniters with no issue.

A shorter pulse might still be a good thing anyway, as well as a lipo / USB rechargeable option.

As soon as the weather is better and/or time allows, I'll use it again and gather some more data. I'll also specifically try clustering Estes ingiters, with and without the nail polish / black powder treatment.

The 10w diode lasers are sub $400 in places and will cut up to 1/4” ply with no issue.
it's the $400 that's the issue for my finance department.

I can probably swing the 10w upgrade for the TTS-55 though, since it's just the diode / emitter section.

it's the $400 that's the issue for my finance department.

I can probably swing the 10w upgrade for the TTS-55 though, since it's just the diode / emitter section.
This is a bit of a thread hijack, but how do I go from 1:1 scale drawing of fins on a piece of paper to smoking plywood fin in my hand using the TTS-55? I ask because I've never used either a 3D printer or a cutter of any kind (not even a Cricut), and I'm kind of intimidated by the workflow.

This is a bit of a thread hijack, but how do I go from 1:1 scale drawing of fins on a piece of paper to smoking plywood fin in my hand using the TTS-55? I ask because I've never used either a 3D printer or a cutter of any kind (not even a Cricut), and I'm kind of intimidated by the workflow.
No worries.

A cutter is a good place to start.

Here's how I do it now:

1) Create the fins in Openrocket. I use the "freeform" fin tool and measure by hand, or import the photo of the fins with a ruler for reference into MS Paint, set the measurement units to inches, and trace the edges using the line tool. You can also import the photo directly into Lightburn and trace the outline there, although I prefer to use Openrocket first for consistency's sake.

Or (and this is the much preferred method) just look up the existing Rocksim file on the internet and import it.

2) Use the scale tool in Openrocket to make them the correct size. (Tip: use the attached chart as a scaling reference. For instance, going from a BT-50 rocket to a BT-60 rocket is a scale factor of 1.68, according to the chart. So you'd scale the fin to 168% using the scaling tool).

3) Tweak the fins as needed (I like to get them to the nearest round 1/8" or so)

4) Export the fins to a .pdf using the Export tool in Openrocket

5) Open (NOT import) the .pdf in Lightburn. Lightburn automagically recognizes the line shapes in the .pdf as laser cuts.

6) Delete the scale ruler.

7) Select both the fin and fin tab (if you have one) and make it a single piece using the combining tool in Lightburn

8) Send it to the laser.

The only extra step is, especially with a new laser or when cutting new material, to do a cut test. Lightburn has a built-in tool that will generate all kinds of tests; in general I like to do the one with "passes vs speed". On my low-powered laser, 5mm/s at 100% power for 15 passes gives the cleanest edges with the least amount of charring / burn-through.

Attachments

• Body+Tube+Ratios+V2.pdf
    67.2 KB · Views: 0
For anyone interested, I'm currently working on a modular booster design for this rocket. I originally made 2 boosters (both still intact), but I have an idea for a modular design that can support a pretty wide range of motor configs:

1x18
2x18
3x18
1x24 short
1x24 long
1x29

I'll post the new OR files tonight. This might end up being my most versatile rocket in my fleet so far.

Back