Did Estes Discontinue the Honest John 7240?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was it not a big mistake for OOP 'ING the original.kit which was around 24 inches in height. Bring that baby back.
Estes Kit #7240 is just under 23” in height, but has been discontinued. They do however still have it in stock and lots of other hobby shops.
https://estesrockets.com/product/007240-honest-john/
I wish Estes would bring back the Maxi-Brute of it, 37” in height,
http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/nostalgia/77est040.html
Boyce Aerospace Hobbies sells a Builders Kit of it,
https://boyceaerospacehobbies.com/c...products/1-9th-scale-honest-john-builders-kit

I built one of the Estes mini honest john kits last a couple weeks ago, and the fins are obviously much smaller than the old 70's Estes kit (both are BT50 with similar size nosecones). It looks to me like the mini's fins are smaller than scale, but I'll have to measure them to check. If that's true, I'll definitely have to build another "mini" that's closer to actual scale dimensions. The mini is also shorter than the 70's version. If it were a bit longer and had larger fins, it might not require so much clay in the nose...

I built one of the Estes mini honest john kits last a couple weeks ago, and the fins are obviously much smaller than the old 70's Estes kit (both are BT50 with similar size nosecones). It looks to me like the mini's fins are smaller than scale, but I'll have to measure them to check. If that's true, I'll definitely have to build another "mini" that's closer to actual scale dimensions. The mini is also shorter than the 70's version. If it were a bit longer and had larger fins, it might not require so much clay in the nose...
I hate the tiny fins. I’m going to kit bash a mini HJ, make it longer and use a 18mm motor mount.

I hate the tiny fins. I’m going to kit bash a mini HJ, make it longer and use a 18mm motor mount.
It sure looks like most of the photos of real-life HJs show larger fins. I'm baffled why Estes went with the tiny fins on the 'mini. I bought three of them when they were $3 each, and I'm definitely going to build one with dimensions scaled to match the Stein drawing. It will also get scale launch lugs on one side like the old kit. I may just have to tolerate the "innie" spin thrusters. Adding scale ones to a plastic nose cone seems like a PITA — maybe I'll try that with the third nosecone. I'm sure I could fabricate some decent cardstock thrusters, but getting them glued to a plastic nosecone will probably result in a mess.

The other thing that bugs me a bit about the 'mini' is that the spin thrusters are recessed in to the nosecone. All the photos I've found of real HJs show the thrusters protruding like my old kit from the 70's...

There are two different versions of the real Honest John - one with big fins and the external spin motors (M31), and the other with small fins and the recessed spin motors (M50). Estes has modeled both versions over the years.

There are two different versions of the real Honest John - one with big fins and the external spin motors (M31), and the other with small fins and the recessed spin motors (M50). Estes has modeled both versions over the years.
Ah, There's the clue I was missing. Now that I know what to search for, I've found photos of the M50, and the 'mini does look right compared to them. I see that the M31 had 4 sets of spin motors and the M50 had three. There do seem to be plenty of photos of the M31 which are obviously mislabeled as M50s.

Can I still whine about the Estes decal that says "US MILITARY" instead of "US ARMY"? ;)

HoJo? My favorite -

rebeljohn_med.png

https://www.rocketarium.com/Rockets/Rebel-John

Just done a HoJo fin can for 2.6 tube. Scaled for tube OD. You'd need a coupler and some centering rings to give internal structure. If anyone wants the file PM me. Norm.
1642460384096.png

It sure looks like most of the photos of real-life HJs show larger fins. I'm baffled why Estes went with the tiny fins on the 'mini. I bought three of them when they were $3 each, and I'm definitely going to build one with dimensions scaled to match the Stein drawing. It will also get scale launch lugs on one side like the old kit. I may just have to tolerate the "innie" spin thrusters. Adding scale ones to a plastic nose cone seems like a PITA — maybe I'll try that with the third nosecone. I'm sure I could fabricate some decent cardstock thrusters, but getting them glued to a plastic nosecone will probably result in a mess.
Probably used the patriot fins.

Printed today. Gave a good test of the fin program. HoJo Fin Can 2.6"OD 130mm root cord 115mm fin height 30mm tip cord.3.5 hour print 0.8mm nozzle. In natural ABS. In the rain... and obviously in Australia the rain falls the other way.....
1642489410784.png

When I picked up several of these $3 kits I put one in the build pile and pulled the big re-issue (#2166) out of the closet to build at the same time.

But I have decided that the rockets gathering dust in the garage waiting for paint have to be cleared out first. Unfortunately this means reaching for a can of old Krylon and discovering it no longer works.

Back