L2 Binder Design Velociraptor Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Copper tube is fine. I use it on nearly all my builds. In my book a lot better than cleaning up PVC shrapnel which I've done a few times. Just make sure you don't inadvertently short the match (a small piece of tape works or keep the protective cap on).

I've turned aluminum ones on a lathe (no longer have access to), commercial caps on a Wildman AvBay or just used a glove fingertip and left it loose (most common). I'm trying out 1" PVC plugs on the L3 rocket I'm building; they can hold ~10 grams of BP. Containment with black powder is much less critical than with Pyrodex, so I'm not worried about blowing the PVC out with 2 layers of electrical tape on top and a circumferential winding to keep the loose ends secured. Fill any extra space with a bit of dog barf (insulation) and everything is awesome. Replace caps every few launches as needed for aesthetics and charring.

Doug

Just curious... Why?

Inadvertent shorts, excess metal for no reason, extra weight, caps too large for the application resulting in extra measures needed to keep the BP in contact with the match.

The charge holders only need to hold 1 to 1.5 grams. FWIW, I use the smallest CPVC caps. It's a yellow color, not the regular white PVC.

Also, I wouldn't cut the copper ones off. Just be careful to avoid shorting and use a method to keep the powder contained and touching the match. I just wanted everyone to know that I don't endorse using them for the reasons listed above.

Last edited:
All shear pins and av-bay screws/t-nuts installed. This baby is ready for paint!

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1440551988.322489.jpg

Passed the L2 written test this evening. Planning to certi-fly on September 19th. Need to get that painting and ground testing done...

All shear pins and av-bay screws/t-nuts installed. This baby is ready for paint!

View attachment 270738

Very nice, you have come along way in a short amount of time, excellent! Take your time on the finishing work, and you will be rewarded with a beautiful rocket "kick-fanny" looking rocket.

Passed the L2 written test this evening. Planning to certi-fly on September 19th. Need to get that painting and ground testing done...

Ground test before painting maybe(?) That way if there is any need to rework a portion of the rocket you will not mess up a nice paint job.

Congrats! Good luck on the flight.

Agreed, good luck and congratulations on the written test... you are almost ready to rip the skies!

Sigh. Failed ground testing today. I'm using Pyrodex, Christmas tree lights and rubber glove tips but all signs are pointing towards packing pressure issues.

When I tested charges outside the rocket, I felt like I was getting consistent packs and pops after some fizzle fails but I again failed when I went inboard.

I will work more this weekend to refine my packing process.

That will not work. Use your charge wells. Put in your e-match with the match head (preffered) or your Christmas tree light (poor second choice) slightly off the bottom of the well. Then pour in your BP, fill the well with dog barf slightly compressed, Put several pieces of black electrical tape over the charge well in an x-pattern, and then put wraps of tape over the upper sides of the charge well covering the ends of the X-tapes. This will confine the Pyrodex(R) to 100-200 psi and ignite all of the particles before the tape releases.

PS. That's why folks use centrifuge tubes......

Bob

^There it is. I'm going to try to get my hands on some real BP and e matches this week.

Ahhhh the satisfying crack of BP in the evening. I put together a charge and fired without the rocket assembled. I just wanted to make sure it worked. Work it did.

My wife would have preferred the rocket was assembled to muffle the sound some.

I won't be able to do much more until Sunday when I hope to fully ground test then begin painting this bad boy!

Ahhhh the satisfying crack of BP in the evening. I put together a charge and fired without the rocket assembled. I just wanted to make sure it worked. Work it did.

My wife would have preferred the rocket was assembled to muffle the sound some.

I won't be able to do much more until Sunday when I hope to fully ground test then begin painting this bad boy!

I love the smell of BP smoke in the morning....

Ground testing done. 2g BP for the drogue. 1g for the main. Both packed with dog barf and secured with electric tape. If you listen carefully, you can hear my sarcastic wife/videographer respond to my pre-test statement that "it won't be that loud." The following videos are from round 2 of testing:

[YOUTUBE]yaOwRG9plUc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]ocLUDuwb6xc[/YOUTUBE]

Now on to paint. The kiddo, who gets to make all the paint selections, chose a light pastel green for the occasion. I'll be in Muncie, Indiana next Saturday (19th) to fly this beast along with an Aerotech Warthog I have built but not flown.

*ETA: Missed a word.

Good luck with your flight, I would
Like to see this fly! Been watching with interest because this kit is on my want list.
As for me off to PURDY but I will have to make up to Muncie sometime

One thing is for sure, I definitely make rockets look good from afar..... I'll post some pics tonight after the decals are on but suffice it to say that I won't be devastated when the finish receives some landing damage. I will not be providing closeups...

One thing is for sure, I definitely make rockets look good from afar..... I'll post some pics tonight after the decals are on but suffice it to say that I won't be devastated when the finish receives some landing damage. I will not be providing closeups...

Oh! Hold on Now! We are in this for the "full monty"! Now is not the time to be holding out on your rocket buds... We don't need porosity images, but the rocket should fill the frame etc. Oh and make it quick, Chop! Chop!

Seriously though, it can't be all that bad... can it(?)

As promised.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1442447779.402977.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1442447789.785159.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1442447798.853709.jpg

I had to decide between touch ups/extra coats and getting my keychain camera mounted (without just taping to the side) before Saturday's launch. I chose camera.

View from the flight line this morning:

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1442666813.188562.jpg

Weather says it will clear out in about an hour. Let's hope they are right.

:(

Going to try again in the morning. After the rain stopped, the wind would not do us any favors. I cut my losses at noon.

Weather looks much better in the AM.

Edit: Weird wording.

Last edited:
Is this Muncie? Good luck today, looks like a beautiful clear morning if this is where I think it is, wish I could make it there to watch the flight

This was at Muncie!

I am now a member of the broke L2 club and the mile-high club with a 716mph flight to 6171' AGL.

[YOUTUBE]8_KM5f19aoI[/YOUTUBE]

Sorry for the 90 seconds of pinky during the decent.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1442781824.353949.jpg

Thanks! The only thing I am sad about is the flight took off some of the decals and I didn't take a picture with them pre-flight. I'll have to order some replacements.

Back