NSL 2015

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are no mud bogs in Orangburg. The group maybe soft, but never mud bogs.

I'm curious, will anyone be flying a rocket at mach speeds, if that is even possible at the launch location?

Well, their is a bit of a selfish reason for my asking. I need my logger to go on a ride with a rocket that reaches mach :)

I'm curious, will anyone be flying a rocket at mach speeds, if that is even possible at the launch location?

Yes, mach flights happen more often than you may think at O'burg.

Not really by design so much....as just part of the flight profile.
I have had several mach flights with smaller airframes [38 & 54mm] on high thrust motors [white thunder, blue thunder, V-max] that were well within our 10,000 ft waiver.

I've not considered my self a "speed demon".

Will you be at NSL 2015 and if so do you think it would be possible to have my logger on-board for an estimated fastest flight, even though it might be a sub mach?

Yes I'll be there all 3 days.
Yes I'll do it.

How will it need to be placed?
Need vents to outside?
Smallest rocket will it fit in?

I have 38mm airframes up to 150mm airframes flying that weekend.
We can stick your unit [if small enough] in some Mini Wildman or Darkstar [38mm glass airframe] and fly several times on various hard hitting motors.
24CTI stuff.....V-max......green....blue....dual thrust....whatever you want. I do have trackers so that's not an issue. I'm flying them anyhow, would be nice to get some data. I usually just stick a motor & tracker in & let it rip. I could even make a small payload section for it if needed.

I'll be easy to find. Don & I will have the "SkyPyrate" banner out with other Pryrate flags flying high! We'll have a booth selling NSL 2015 commemorative kits.
3 of my large flights are featured on the NSL site. Pick one or all of them if you wish.

The 6in. 150mm "Bad to the Bone" would be a good one also. Doubt it will hit mach, but it's a cluster rocket with a large 54mm K lit on ground with 3-38'mm's air started. that will give you some nice data! My avatar rocket "Gone Banana's" will fly on a M weather permitting.

By the way should you need black powder, e-matches or motor igniters for anything, let me know, will gladly supply whatever you need [no -charge].
I just got back from Australia launch & I know bringing stuff with you is a no-no.
Looking forward to meeting you Leo.

Last edited:
That's great Jim.

Unit is 1.89 x 0.71 x 0.47 inches and weighs 0.25 oz. Hope that's small enough and not to heavy?

It needs to be inside an e-bay with preferably 3 vent holes.

Leo,

Same here. If you need supplies that you can't get from Jim. You are free to use any supplies I have in my trailer.

Jim, Chuck, that's very much appreciated!

I will try to support the vendors at the launch site and will take up your offers as last resort.

Jim mentioned it last night to me , about a ride along.
Maybe E-volution has some room depending on your setup, 38mm MD on a J570, last time was mach2.1 and 9K+ flight..

OK, I didn't know if I would finish this built in time but it worked out.

She will be flying at NSL 2015.

It will be a "world record" attempt for the smallest dual deploy 2-stage rocket flight.

Estes_Astron_Elliptic_II_DD_E-bay.jpg

I am working on getting approval for an earlier time on the field.

There are no mud bogs in Orangburg. The group maybe soft, but never mud bogs.

Hah! You were still "in country" during that ROSCO launch where they had harvested a large section of sod behind, and to the left of the regular launch control location. The prevailing winds were taking a lot of birds that way. It was no picnic retrieving rockets from knee deep, shoe-sucking mud.

Hah! You were still "in country" during that ROSCO launch where they had harvested a large section of sod behind, and to the left of the regular launch control location. The prevailing winds were taking a lot of birds that way. It was no picnic retrieving rockets from knee deep, shoe-sucking mud.

I was remembering that same day when I read Chucks's post. You would sink past your knees and if you were wearing shoes, they wouldn't come back up when you pulled your leg out! Ahhhh...memories. Mud bog!

Cheers,
Michael

I was remembering that same day when I read Chucks's post. You would sink past your knees and if you were wearing shoes, they wouldn't come back up when you pulled your leg out! Ahhhh...memories. Mud bog!

Cheers,
Michael

And of course, it would have to be me, that was first in on a retrieval. I got stuck. Then some really kind girl got a heads up and took her shoes off to get my rocket for me. I had no idea that it was mud. It looked hard enough to walk on. Everyone else was wise to it after I finally got myself out of it.

That was a bad day. One in 7 year in not bad.

Guys, the site will be available for you to park and set up a tent at 1700 or 5 pm on Friday 22 May. Anyone willing to show up and set up pads, please contact me.

That was a bad day. One in 7 year in not bad.

Guys, the site will be available for you to park and set up a tent at 1700 or 5 pm on Friday 22 May. Anyone willing to show up and set up pads, please contact me.
Does this mean, you can't set pads before 5 PM? We wanna be there as early as possible. If 5 PM is your window also, we should be able to help after getting tents pitched.

Just to clarify. Does that mean we're not allowed on site at all to park etc before 5:00?

That is correct. No fliers can park or set up tents until 5 pm on Friday 22 May.

Ok, here is a set up map for NSL 2015. Do not come to the field until after 5 pm. Flyers or spectators who parks and set up in admin or not in a the flyer/spectator areas will be required to move.

map-nsl2015jpeg.jpg

Back