Your strongest knot

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjp

Reaction score
Those of you who drill holes into your nose cone and pass the shockcord threw(in one hole and out the second),what is the strongest knot you use.So many knots,but which one works best?

I try to use a palamar know any time I can.. Strongest knot strenght of all knots.. Period......

Tom

I try to use a palamar know any time I can.. Strongest knot strenght of all knots.. Period......

Tom

I have to go with the palamar. It's simple and is about the strongest knot I know of. In fishing we call it the 100% knot--the line will break before the knot fails.

I have to go with the palamar. It's simple and is about the strongest knot I know of. In fishing we call it the 100% knot--the line will break before the knot fails.

Been tying that knot for 20 years as a semi pro bass fisherman.. out of thousands and thousands of knots... ive only had 1 knot fail... But thats a diffrent story...

Line will break before that knot... all the time..

Tom

Last edited:
I'll try the Palomar knot,Thanks everyone.cjp.

Palomar Knot for Bassin! Bowline for Nosecones. the difference is the material being tied. Mono strand lines all the previous post are correct Palomar is about as close to 100% line strength as you can get. Braided or Twisted line and Rope to remain permanently tight under strain or slack..it's the bowline hands down.

What's a good knot for tying shroud lines to parachutes?? I've been using something akin to a "surgeon's knot" that's like a square knot with an extra loop through the second square... the palomar doesn't look like it'd work on a parachute since you'd have to pass the chute through the knot in tying it, which would be pretty hard to do when both ends of the same line are attached to the edge of the chute, along with other lines...

Later! OL JR :)

I have usually used two half hitches to tie the shroud line to the shroud. The plastic will tear before the knot fails.

The bowline is not the best choice since it can come untied if it gets slack in the rope. If it stays taught it is a good choice.

Andrew

accooper said:
The bowline is not the best choice since it can come untied if it gets slack in the rope. If it stays taught it is a good choice.

Andrew

I misspoke. The bowline knot I use is a mountaineering bowline and it is a very secure knot that can easily be untied. After 35 years of climbing I can tie this one in my sleep and forget that it is a bit more than a simple bowline. I've heard it called a bowline with a Yosemite finish but to me it's just a "bowline".

For round cordage, a Figure 8 or Figure 9 if the knot is on the end of a rope, or Alpine(butterfly), if it's mid line.

If you're joining two ropes together, use a barrel knot on each end.

For webbing, a water knot is your best bet,; essentially its just an overhand knot in the webbing, with the tail passed through the rigging point, then back up through the knot, following it through.

I do use a lot of fly-fishing knots, but only on flies & leaders. Bowlines are for basic boat rigging & tag lines; even backed up, they reduce the strength of cordage more so than most other knots.

Trust me on this one, as I rely on my gear & methods on a daily basis.....

[video=youtube;ZGCKxN6VgCw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGCKxN6VgCw[/video]

Last edited:
palomar_knot.jpg
cool knot. Here's a website that has a nice diagram for tying one.
https://www.animatedknots.com/palomar/index.php

BABAR found it and I think it deserves a bump.. www.animatedknots.com

There is a picture index and a way to animate most knots.
Here is a tease of the picture quality...
On a side note...I have been annoying my friends for years by tying barrel knots into the ends of thier ropes..
Some want ropes with barrel knots tied every 2 feet for their sons fort yard piece.
The bowline in Florida is pronounced "Bolen or Bowlen". It is the basic knot to know when someone above you is feeding the rope back down to you In any rigging work.(you better not tie a slipknot Buddy!)
Back to rockets..honestly I usually tied a second end onto my "Bowline" it is found in the above website.
Several times I got lazy and a regular Bolen did the trick.
I really like the Palomar knot, and will be tying it on my test tie sessions.

Last edited:
I create an attachment loop for the nose cone by passing a short length of Kevlar through the holes and then joining the two ends together. I use a double fisherman's knot or a figure 8 bend for that. I attach a link to the end of the shock cord with a Uni knot and then clip the cord onto the loop via the link.

View attachment 82788

On a side note...I have been annoying my friends for years by tying barrel knots into the ends of thier ropes..
Some want ropes with barrel knots tied every 2 feet for their sons fort yard piece.
The bowline in Florida is pronounced "Bolen or Bowlen". It is the basic knot to know when someone above you is feeding the rope back down to you In any rigging work.(you better not tie a slipknot Buddy!)
Back to rockets..honestly I usually tied a second end onto my "Bowline" it is found in the above website.

Found a picture of my bowline (also pronounced "bowlen") on AnimatedKnots.com but they call it a bowline with a Yosemite tie off.

View attachment 82790

Two granny knots for the nc and scotch tape for the shroud lines..haven't lost..too many

Two granny knots for the nc and scotch tape for the shroud lines..haven't lost..too many
If I was to tie a shock cord end to an existing hard point (anchor point) on the base of a nose cone, I would likely use a round turn with two (or more) half hitches. Awesome knot, and easy as sin to tie.

I am really glad to see that Grog has added a "Splicing" section to his Animated Knots web site. That is something that I want to look into implementing, because eye splices are reputed to be very strong and they do not weaken the rope. Also, under "Rope Care" he has added some techniques for whipping the ends. Very useful!

Last edited:
When speaking of the strength of a knot it helps to know the background. First, all knots weaken the cord in which they are tied. Ten also in fishing you ate dealing with a medium that seemingly unties itself.

I would not use a fishing knot for my rockets as they will weaken that in which they are tied more than other knots.

I would use a figure eight if I want the knot to jam and not slip through an eye. I would use a bowline or two half hitches if I want the knot to loop around something. Bowline if the loop is to stay open, otherwise two half hitches.

I've always just used used two half hitches to attach the nose cone. Simple and I've never lost a rocket due to a failed knot.

I've always just used used two half hitches to attach the nose cone. Simple and I've never lost a rocket due to a failed knot.

Two half hitches? The half hitch is just that, a hitch. It is designed to hold when under tension and release easily. I just can't see using it for something like this. I use a half hitch to stabilize a long object that I am hoisting after using a clove hitch to the main point to secure it. Why? Because as soon as you remove the tension it comes apart.

To the original point, there is just about nothing that I don't use a figure-eight for in rope and cord. That is true when I tie stuff off on a rocket as well as when I am hanging off of the end of it in a harness. The figure-eight family can do everything a bowline can do and more while not reducing the strength of the rope as much. As was mentioned by someone else earlier, with webbing I use a water knot, the only knot that really should be used on tubular or flat webbing.

Non-slip mono knot, learned it from a fishing buddy. Works great on kevlar cord. Here is a link to a site that shows you how to tie it, along with hundreds of other knots:
https://www.animatedknots.com/nonsl...ge=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com
It is amazingly easy to untie too!

cool knot. Here's a website that has a nice diagram for tying one.
https://www.animatedknots.com/palomar/index.php

View attachment 82788

Several of us have referenced this site, which shows how few of us actually read a thread before replying in it. (One of my pet peeves)
There are probably dozens of good answers to this question, depending on what you are tying with and what you are tying to. So I guess the next question should be has anyone tied kevlar or nylon cord to an anchor of any type in a rocket and had the knot fail?

Back