You might be a child in the 70s if:

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you pulled into a gas station there were still attendants who checked your oil, coolant level, tire pressure and wiped your windshield. That was my first part time job. I was a senior in high school.
The mechanics used to pull us over to help them when we weren't busy at the pumps.
Learned a lot about cars at that job.
Ethyl was 39.9 cents/gal.
A new Jaguar XKE was a whopping $9000.
A new subcompact was $2000.
Added mods to my car from stuff I ordered from JC Whitney.
Japanese cars were considered tin can death traps.
The "good" old days.

You might be a child of the 70's if you watched Star Wars on the big screen more than once

Han shot first.
How many times?
For me it was 17 times. My best friend was over 125 times.
The closest theater to have it playing was in Boise, a 45 mile drive away.
It was held over in the theater for over a year. Those don't happen now.

Waiting in a line that ran around the ice rink at the Galleria in Houston to see Star Wars when it first came out.

Learning to play D&D from a small white box with three little booklets and being excited that Greyhawk, Blackmoor, and Eldritch Wizardry came out.

Hanging out at Radio Shack
Ah yes... the local Radio Shack was 1/2 block away from me. I spent so much time there that the manager used to give me some of his returned "broken" stuff. (FYI, Radio Shack didn't have a "return to factory" policy since they WERE the factory. The stores were required to absorb the cost if it was under $100 retail.) I made an R/C radio set out of a couple of "bad" walkie talkies (on Channel 14, of course)... I was probably in 6th grade or so.

Waiting in a line that ran around the ice rink at the Galleria in Houston to see Star Wars when it first came out.

Learning to play D&D from a small white box with three little booklets and being excited that Greyhawk, Blackmoor, and Eldritch Wizardry came out.
I came in a little later than that. AD&D, studying virtually every word of the Player's Handbook (and of course the other books later).

Back