Yet another paint (airbrush) question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astrowolf67

Reaction score
Okay, so following the advice found here on the forum, I've quit thinning acrylics with water, and started using airbrush medium (thanks Andy!!). I've come to the conclusion now, that I CAN use an airbrush with the right stuff :D What I now need, is one that can spray a larger area. I've got some paint, that I'd like to use for the main color, but the smaller air brushes I've got would take forever to cover the rocket with. I've seen this little generic thing on ebay, and wondered if it might work.

https://cgi.ebay.com/PRECISION-AIRB...5QQihZ008QQcategoryZ28111QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If not, what would be a good, cheap (I know, good and cheap don't mix) broad coverage gun, that would work with a small 2 gallon/ .35 SCFM@90 PSI/ 98PSI max compressor? The compressor is a small cheapie from Wal Mart, that I've used quite a bit around the house, mainly for tires, and light airbrushing, but I don't think it could handle a larger auto type sprayer. And, yes, I have a moisture trap on it.

Do you have any freinds that work in autobody shops?
I would try a Detail Gun. There are many makes and models out there. You get what you pay for with inexpensive paint guns, but I have lucked out with some "cheepo" guns that work nicely. An inexpensive Detail Gun may be just fine for rockets.
See if you could borrow one for a day? You may really like it?

Take a look here for some ideas.

https://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=detail+gun

Now the air supply may be an issue with only a 2gal. tank? I think that .35 SCFM@90 PSI/ 98PSI max, is very small and the compressor will have to cycle on and off many times to give reasonable air (even at 35psi gun pressure).

See if you can borrow a bigger portable compressor? I have a 13gal Campbell Hausfeld /Wallymart Special. I've used this a LOT. Even painted a few cars with it. It really is way too small for that though.
Another tip while you mention moisture traps, try useing an in-line trap at the gun, as well. These are cheap at LowesHome Depot.

Good Luck!

I "took the plunge" and bought a nice $50 paint gun at Lowes. Ingersoll Rand HLVP gravity sprayer. It has 35PSI max and a 125cc cup and should work great fo your needs. I bought a female air hose connector to connect ot my airhose. Let me advise you to build a small paintbooth otherwise you will have a matching rocket/house/vehicle set :p I made mine out of PVC too 10' lenths of 3/4" PVC and cut them to 5' to make a 5X5 booth.I made 90degree corners by glueing T's and elbow's together. Like HotRod said you ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!! that is why I have no withdraws from getting this. It is good size since I am moving into HPR as the rockets get larger. I will put this to the test with a 10" Polecat Aerospace's SatV and see how it preforms.

thanx, Ben

Airbrush medium, sort of like Reducer or thinner, but formulated for acrylics. Very nice results with out the "spatter factor" of thinning with water.

Michaels arts and crafts. But, sometimes hard to get an emlpoyee that knows what it is or where it is kept.:( In my local store it is up front near the checkout, in a locked cage.

Any art supply store should have it or mail order house for AIR brush supplies.

Let me post links to some of my favorites.

https://www.coastairbrush.com/

https://www.dixieart.com/

https://www.signwarehouse.com/c-A-EM.html

Look around here if for no other reasons then for ideas.
I'm considering doing some "Lowrider" rockets! Probably fatboy clones..... nice big body tubes to work on!:D

More ideas?

https://howtoairbrush.com/

https://www.gotpaint.com./

https://www.xtremekreations.com/gallery.html

Painting can become an all consuming addiction! Kind of like Rockets.

Airbrush medium, according to the label, is a blend of acrylic polymers, and flow agents, formulated to thin acrylic paints with out reducing the adhesion qualities. Before using the medium, my previous attempts were total failures. I was thinning with water, and the paint ran every where, took forever to dry, and could be scratched off with a feather (not really, but you know what I mean). I've been playing the past few nights, using the medium, and I'm getting results 100's of times better than before.

I got it at my local Hobby Lobby. And, it's not cheap. An 8oz bottle was 8.99. It wasn't with the airbrush supplies, I found it in with the art supplies. The brand is Liquitex. There was a section with about 20 rows of different bottles of solutions and additives that all looked the same, you just have to look at each one and read the label.

David,good start using the right thinner

and you don't need a hvlp gun just yet.. Just remember you will need a large tip, alot of airbrushes come with a small(or mabey medium) tip so you can detail a 1/48 model airplane real nice.
but that won't do well on ,for example, a loc minie magg.
I use a paashe h and a vl both with the largest tips.(#5 ) they will spray a 1-1/2 wide pattern no problem !
the beauty is you can still get detail from the airbrush you won't get from an automotive gun by changing the tips and pressure.

and from my experience, thats plenty for up to 6" dia rockets.

Airbrush medium is availiable at hobby lobby in the hobby /oil paints isle.there are several manufactures , I also use the Liquitex brand from hobby lobby
or at Michaels.
The paint I use (createx brand) sprays best between 30-45 psi.
the key things are , large tip, proper thinner (medium) , and a little trial and error.

heres some larger rockets done only with the airbrush. and acrylics, (and liquitex medium when needed )

Minie Magg

4" V2

Big Daddy

3" F-104
;)

I am very happy with the prices and service from- Dixie art
check out the Passche H or VL, (don't forget to get a #5 tip and neede with these if you do, better yet the full set of all three sizes)
https://www.dixieart.com

lots of options/brands but I only have experience with those 2 Paasche models
and they both work great.

I'll second that motion. Passche double action, cant' go wrong. I had to retire my first one last year. Dam thing only lasted 25 years for me!:p
The detail guns were just my sugestions, I am not a rocket painting expert. I deal with much larger tings (cars, trucks, railroad equipment).
Best idea is experiment. Find what you like. I like big coverage with few pases, it may be a short attention span thing?

stymye: Question for you.
I would like your thoughts. On createx brand. Much debated in the auto paint world. I tried some (autoAir brand but same thing) probably 2 years ago. Absoulotely hated it. Poor adheasion loooong dry time.
Now it is suposedly re-formulated? I went out and picked up a few colors, but have not tried them yet. A Rocket may be the perfect test.
Do you need to heat set these before you clear? Or do you intercoat, then clear?

Thanks in advance:)

Andy, thanks for the advice, and encouragement. Funny you should mention the Minnie Magg, that's what I'm getting ready to paint! I have an Aztek airbrush, that I need to get out and work with. My tests I've been doing so far this week, have been with an elcheapo from Big Lots, and I was suprised at the results I obtained with it.

We are not going to be able to make it down to the launch this weekend (large financial set back last week), so I plan to try to get the Magg painted.

Andy, what clear coat are you using? The shine on your Magg is nice!

The paints I've got so far, have been:
Createx (haven't had to thin any yet)
FolkArt (found at Wal Mart, needed thinning)
Apple Barrel (also from Wal Mart, haven't tried any yet)

Originally posted by HotRod Lincoln
Stymye: Question for you.
I would like your thoughts. On createx brand. Much debated in the auto paint world. I tried some (autoAir brand but same thing) probably 2 years ago. Absoulotely hated it. Poor adheasion loooong dry time.
Now it is suposedly re-formulated? I went out and picked up a few colors, but have not tried them yet. A Rocket may be the perfect test.
Do you need to heat set these before you clear? Or do you intercoat, then clear?

Thanks in advance:)

Hotrod, The AA has been reformulated.and works very well
thats what Nub Graphics from the OCC shows uses.
I use the regular colors not the AA, however I did paint the V2 I posted with auto air . not much difference to me except the AA colors are a little more vibrant and yes definately always heat dry each coat for 3-5 minutes.

for intercoat I use krylon clear. it masks easily without pulling up any paint.

a big rule with acrylics is you can't mask on top of it, you have to put a clear coat down, than you can tape it.

On the Paasche, what's the difference between the VL and the H? Not a lot of info for beginners on their sites nor any other sites I googled up. Thx.

The H is single action the VL is double action.
There are many different airbrush options out there. I would always suggest a double action brush. Bigger learning curve but more versitile.
The Paasche is considered by many to be a very old school item. But, old fasion or not, it is the brand I like best. :)

Also, ya'll correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the H is an external mix, and the VL, is an internal.

So you say I need a larger tip/needle for spraying large areas with acrylic? I bought a new tip for my Aztek yesterday, it's their high flow nozzle, which the package says is a 1.02mm. It's the biggest one the local HL carries. I'm also going Monday, after the coupon comes out of course, and picking up an Aztek A220 (very similar to the Badger 250), single action, external mix set. I've found some good online reviews, that suggest this model is great for broad area coverage. And, with HL's coupon, it won't cost that much. I might try to get my hands on a Micheals coupon, and go there tomorrow and see what they have. They don't list any airbrushes on their web site, but I know my local one has some locked up at the front of the store.

Hotrod, I've been browsing the sites you listed above, there's some great info in there, thanks!

Back