I need the idiot's guide to airbrushing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua F Thomas

Reaction score
I've got two new models that will need painting and I want to get into airbrushing. I would prefer recommendations for the least-headache way to get started; simplicity over features/complexity.

Recommended airbrush vendor/model and paint brands for a beginner?
Most common reasons for failure?
Things I will need other than the brush and the paint?

I would prefer not to buy an air compressor unless it's cheap, where I define 'cheap' here as < $20. I'm fine with single-use CO2 cartridges for the time being. I want to get started with airbrushing, not invest for years (yet).

Thanks in advance!

Go to https://tcpglobal.com/collections/airbrush-systems-paasche
Complete systems for around $200 including the compressor.
I purchased mine many years ago when I was building 1/32 scale aircraft models. I love it, and it is still going strong.
I know you say cheap, but look it over, you might find what you are looking for.
The compressors are also an item available used on eBay if you want to go that route.
I could never get the pressurized cans to work to my satisfaction.

I used one a bit at work. I have no idea what model it was but it was probably pretty expensive.

However, as a total beginner, I just followed the instructions that came with the bottle and things worked out pretty well. I'd say that constant movement of the spray-head is crucial and maintaining the right distance between the target and head is also important, though there is some wiggle room. The only issue I had was when I used an old bottle of paint that had been left open too long which clogged the device, but after soaking it in solvent for a bit, it came right out.

Go to https://tcpglobal.com/collections/airbrush-systems-paasche
Complete systems for around $200 including the compressor.
I purchased mine many years ago when I was building 1/32 scale aircraft models. I love it, and it is still going strong.
I know you say cheap, but look it over, you might find what you are looking for.
The compressors are also an item available used on eBay if you want to go that route.
I could never get the pressurized cans to work to my satisfaction.

$200 is more than twice I'd like to spend. What's the < $75 solution?

I have good luck with the Central Pneumatic air brush from Harbor Freight. Its cheap but does a pretty decent job. I also have the air brush compressor. Its quiet and does what its supposed to, but you may want a better moisture separator.

https://www.harborfreight.com/34-and-3-oz-airbrush-kit-62294.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/1-6-hp-40-psi-oilless-airbrush-compressor-93657.html

What ever you buy take the time to learn and experiment with it. Your first few paint jobs wont turn out the best just dont give up.

Airbrushes are "you get what you pay for". Spend as much as you can afford and buy it just once, instead of cheap and then a better one. I have several Iwata, very good. I also have Paasche, and Badger. I would consider Badger a good entry level brush. There are internal mix, best, and external mix. You can get gravity feed and siphon feed. Do a search on both terms as that will provide pics and details better than I can explain. You can use canned air, Badger makes an adapter for using a spare tire, never tried it though. You do not need a large compressor with big CFM for a small airbrush. Lots of hobby size ones will work fine. But you will need some way to regulate air pressure to the brush. Some brushes have them built in, I use one that is built into my water trap. I have sprayed everything from Imron to water base paints, all will work in an airbrush. If you have used a certain paint in the past that you are comfortable with, stick with it. When you get it, practice on some printer paper. Learn to control the finger valve, how far to hold it from work surface, the more you push down, the more air flows. The more you pull back, the more paint flows. Good luck. Pics, pics, and more pics when you are done.

I'll venture an opinion and suggest that the Paasche H single-action airbrush is a great choice. Not only will it provide a gentle entry, it will also provide a lifetime of reliable service, and replacement parts are widely available if needed. I've had one for 20 years, and have never needed the backup airbrush that I purchased.

A cheap Harbor Freight compressor will be fine, but get a decent brush.

Your next question will be "how do I get this F#$(&* thing to work?" The answer is simple: use acrylics, either Tamiya, Gunze, Vallejo, or Mission.

James

I'll second the suggestion for the Paasche model H. Be sure to get the medium #3 or large #5 tip. The small #1 is not going to work very well with acrylics, it requires very low viscosity and is a PITA to keep clean. Costs $33-35 online. With proper care it will last for decades. I've used a similar design Binks Wren since 1975 and it still works.

For air source, I've tried the canned propellant and it was really unsatisfactory; I can't recommend that, even as a stopgap. The HF 3-gal "hotdog" compressor is $55 and should work fine (but consider it expendable). Do not get anything with less capacity. It puts out 1 SCFM @40psi, just at the top of the Paasche recommendation of 0.5 to 1 scfm at 20-45 PSI. Also it has an output regulator and gauge, so all you need to add is an inline moisture trap, which can be had for $8 or less from Amazon, search for "air oil separator", also maybe at HF. You'll need also some Teflon pipe thread tape and perhaps a few hose fittings and adapters, which you can probably all get at HF too.

I'd strongly recommend avoiding the smaller (and more expensive) airbrush compressors; they have to run all the time to maintain pressure so you get constant noise. They also do not have a reservoir so the air supply tends to have pulses, and they generate a lot less pressure. They are marginal if you want to be able to get 40-45 PSI at the gun unless you eliminate all leaks in your air lines.

Overall I think the budget for new equipment is about $105-110...it doesn't quite reach your $75 target, but you can try to push it down by carefully rummaging E-bay or Craigslist.

Back