X-Plane SST: Scratch Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a pleasant surprise today...

I balanced her with a 38mm 5 grain J-motor (the largest this would reasonably be expected to see). To get the CG 2 BT diameters ahead of CP required "only" 7 oz. lead.

I'll finish rigging her tonight / tomorrow and post a final weight.

Edit: I epoxied lead shot into the tip of the nose. I then added 2 layers of 6 oz glass cloth with 4 inches of overlap up the sides of the nosecone to add additional security to the shot.

Last edited:
That is absolutely amazing! Wonderful job!

Thank you. :cheers:

I added the Rail Buttons tonight. I used SC Precision Airfoil Rail Buttons. And rigged the Kevlar shock cord, quick links, swivel and parachute.

All that remains is fitting the nosecone bulkhead (I wanted to wait until the rocket was complete to add the nose weight)... thus waiting for the NC bulkhead.

Then getting the last 2 vinyls on.

Anyone have any thought on motor propellant choice for dramatic effect?

I'll be using a CTI 3G vs 4G... Impulse chosen based on final weight / flight profile sim.

Skidmark? Smokey Sam? Red vs Blue vs white flame?

I'm thinking the Blue Streak looks very military black ops high tech... thoughts?

I'm thinking the Blue Streak looks very military black ops high tech... thoughts?

Hmm, well, does the rocket with the decals on look military black ops high tech? I don't know, 'cause you haven't shown us yet! :wink: :tongue:

Anyone have any thought on motor propellant choice for dramatic effect?

I'll be using a CTI 3G vs 4G... Impulse chosen based on final weight / flight profile sim.

Skidmark? Smokey Sam? Red vs Blue vs white flame?

Skidmark is my favorite by far, followed closely by Smoky Sam. I haven't seen Blue Streak in person.

I think the Skid, seen one fly a Phoenix on a skid and that was just real sharp, it was an H123 and it really jumped off the pad and man don't you know it when it lights!!

I have a 3G Bluestreak I I am flying in a couple of weeks, but I haven't seen one in person, the only other one I could think of might be a vmax, but that could be a little hot for ya! LOL

Skids are loud and visually striking. The new Dark Matter looks good too, but you said you're going with CTI. A darker smoky load might match more with your military theme, though.

[YOUTUBE]Uz8PMY0xPkg[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]ZL1EFWmxnaY[/YOUTUBE]

LOC-IV_skidmark1.jpg

LOC-IV_skidmark2.jpg

LOC-IV_skidmark4.jpg

LOC-IV_smoky1.jpg

LOC-IV_smoky2.jpg

Skidmark is my favorite by far, followed closely by Smoky Sam. I haven't seen Blue Streak in person.

I think the Skid, seen one fly a Phoenix on a skid and that was just real sharp, it was an H123 and it really jumped off the pad and man don't you know it when it lights!!

I have a 3G Bluestreak I I am flying in a couple of weeks, but I haven't seen one in person, the only other one I could think of might be a vmax, but that could be a little hot for ya! LOL

SkidMark was high on my list,... I just thought it wasn't very military. But I do love the show! I'll see if it fits my need...

Edit: Sim data...

I-223 Skid sims to 2230 ft

I-180 Skid Sims to 1580 ft

I think I prefer the I-223 for a bit more go off the pad.

Last edited:
OUTSTANDING my friend, two thumbs up!!! Looking forward to your flight report!

Thanks. Your positive reviews mean a lot! :cheers:

Thanks, I somehow missed that-- I guess I thought I had read all of page 5 so I clicked on page 6. Turns out the "view first unread" link won't take you back a page if that's where the first unread post it.
Anyway, the decals look AWESOME! It really captures that X-15 style feel.
Can't wait to see her fly-- unless I miss seeing the pics, again. :tongue:

Thanks! She'll be flying in LaBelle at TRA Ft Myers if you ever make it there.

She's finished except for the last Vinyls which Mark (Stickershock23) made up today.

Nose cone bulkhead / eyebolt in. Rigged.

Final weight w/o motor. 87 ounces. (5 lbs - 7 ounces)

I flew an H170 4G Blue Streak late on a winter day last year when it was getting near dusk and it was spectacular under those conditions. The flame color really showed through. I've seen them in full daylight on the playa and they're not quite so impressive then, but still cool. I think it would be a good match for this machine. And I have to say you did a beautiful job :)

finishing touches on the way to you Simon.. it looks stupendous! My vote. something with lots of flame...

Thanks Mark! They arrived today. I'll get them applied tonight.

Spent a week in NYC with the family. Thanks for holding them to ship. Freedom tower is very impressive even at just a bit more than 1/2 complete...

Here are some completed shots... I'll post some pad shot's after the maiden flight.

X-101.jpg

X-102.jpg

X-103.jpg

X-104.jpg

The underside (marking for the retractable gear doors and payload bay doors). I used airfoiled rail buttons.

X-109.jpg

X-110.jpg

X-111.jpg

Man that is an amazing looking ship!!!

I still vote for a Skidmark, that would be a real nice fit for that girl!!!

Man that is an amazing looking ship!!!

I still vote for a Skidmark, that would be a real nice fit for that girl!!!

Thanks David. :cheers:

I'm finalizing my motor order tonight... It's going to be a skidmark.

Latest posts

Back