X-Plane SST: Scratch Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No kiddin, I didn't it was THAT big in the build pics, then again it does have a 38mm MMT...

I wonder if Mark has it up on his site yet? lol

Next time get a total body wrap, I did my L2 ship with one, it came out nearly perfect without a single wrinkle, I have a trick to keep em wrinkle free!!

No kiddin, I didn't it was THAT big in the build pics, then again it does have a 38mm MMT...

I wonder if Mark has it up on his site yet? lol

Next time get a total body wrap, I did my L2 ship with one, it came out nearly perfect without a single wrinkle, I have a trick to keep em wrinkle free!!

I like the size. She has presence! And it's not on Marks website yet... :wink:

How do you deal with the wrap at the fin can?

Simon

You did a fantastic job! I would hang it up from the ceiling and have it on display. It looks too cool to just stand it up in a corner. Fantastic job! You do great work!!:D

Absolutely beautiful build - and bigger than I thought it was. Can't wait to see launch pics/vids.

Simon

You did a fantastic job! I would hang it up from the ceiling and have it on display. It looks too cool to just stand it up in a corner. Fantastic job! You do great work!!:D

Absolutely beautiful build - and bigger than I thought it was. Can't wait to see launch pics/vids.

Thanks guys!

I'm looking forward to seeing her fly as well. Looks like it's going to be the first Saturday in November.

I like the size. She has presence! And it's not on Marks website yet... :wink:

How do you deal with the wrap at the fin can?

Mark is nice enough to mark the wrap, which makes is so much easier to do this, even if the mark is slightly off from the build, it still works this way...

It was easy for me to lay the wrap (which was 8 yards of vinyl) on a table, and with my wife's help, roll it onto the rocket, worked better than trying to do it upright for a full wrap.

That said, the fin can is something else altogether, that HAS to be cut, and all ya do is line it up (Mark actually marked it to where the fins where, so easy!) and use those pieces to fill in the space.

It looks perfect, really BIG, but perfect!!

Mark is nice enough to mark the wrap, which makes is so much easier to do this, even if the mark is slightly off from the build, it still works this way...

It was easy for me to lay the wrap (which was 8 yards of vinyl) on a table, and with my wife's help, roll it onto the rocket, worked better than trying to do it upright for a full wrap.

That said, the fin can is something else altogether, that HAS to be cut, and all ya do is line it up (Mark actually marked it to where the fins where, so easy!) and use those pieces to fill in the space.

It looks perfect, really BIG, but perfect!!

I'd love to do a wrap with the skin peeled pack to reveal the inner works....

X-Plane launch date set for Sat 11/3. I'm planning on doing my Level 2 with the Saturn V that day as well.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

That's awesome!!

I am hoping to get a chance over the next couple of weeks, one site the weather is starting to look poor, the other may not have a TAP or Prefect on site for my attempt, not sure I can make the next day, a research day yet...

That's awesome!!

I am hoping to get a chance over the next couple of weeks, one site the weather is starting to look poor, the other may not have a TAP or Prefect on site for my attempt, not sure I can make the next day, a research day yet...

Good luck! Weather interruptions are the worst!

Got a delivery from Wildman today...

X-118.jpg

Included were (2) I-223 Skid's, (2) I-287 Smokey's, and (4) I-345 White Thunders for the X-Plane.

X-119.jpgX-120.jpg

All on schedule for 11/3 launch.

My Saturn V will also be flying it's maiden flight (my Level 2 Cert attempt) the same day on a J335 Red Lightening.

And will also fly my PML Patriot on either an I-180 Skid or I-212 Smokey.

T-11 Days... :grin:

Got a delivery from Wildman today...

View attachment 102151

:y:
Sadly, it looks like I won't be able to make it out there on the third-- I have something else scheduled that day. :(
But I'll probably be able to come to one of the Tripoli Ft. Myers launches eventually. I take everything (with the possible exception of the Sat V) will be flying for quite some time? I'd love to see the X-plane in action! :grin:

:y:
Sadly, it looks like I won't be able to make it out there on the third-- I have something else scheduled that day. :(
But I'll probably be able to come to one of the Tripoli Ft. Myers launches eventually. I take everything (with the possible exception of the Sat V) will be flying for quite some time? I'd love to see the X-plane in action! :grin:

My hope / intention is that the Saturn V will be an occasional flyer... maybe 1-2x per year.

I built the X-Plane to Fly. She's not retiring until she'd not flight capable!

Holy Cow that's a big order!!

Guess if you want to save on hazmat that's the way to go!

Holy Cow that's a big order!!

Guess if you want to save on hazmat that's the way to go!

That's my thinking. 37 motors ordered... That reduces the HazMat to about $0.70/motor. Much more tolerable.

Not too far off from what I do, granted gas these day's isn't as cheap, but...

We go to as many launches as we can, and I know the Motorman (for us) is gonna be there, just save up a bit and get what we need, whether we fly or not.

Last time I only flew two, but I bought 5, and 5 the last time, and at least 5 the next launch.

Not quite 37, but the gas was worth watching other rockets go up...just sayin!!

Then again, my work schedule allows for a few days off at a time...one advantage to it!!

Still on schedule for Saturday launch. All sims have been run.

Maiden flight CTI I-223 Skid.
Second flight, if time CTI I-287 Smokey.

T-2 Days.

Still on schedule for Saturday launch. All sims have been run.

Maiden flight CTI I-223 Skid.
Second flight, if time CTI I-287 Smokey.

T-2 Days.

Man, I'm excited, and I won't even be there!

Looking forward to your post flight report. That's one hell of a build--just beautiful..Good luck and good winds--H

Latest posts

Back