X-15 Variant Delta wing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveNeill

SNG Studio Ventura
Reaction score
I had long lost this artwork of my X-15 Delta wing. I use to sell these and if I was to do it again it would have an epoxy glass fuse and resin parts.

I also found lots of pictures of it being made.IMG-1450.jpg IMG-1451.jpg X-15_front_cover.jpg framed_up2.JPG framed_up3.JPG framed_up4.JPG

It's funny people always model that in black it definitely would have needed the ablative, and the "shuttered" eye windshield as it was intended to go faster than the Mach 6.7 that the A-2 did:) I agree it does look good in black though....That's a good size for that model.

I agree that would be neat, I did one for RC that was not to scale, and of course had lots of markings that probably wouldn't be on a flight vehicle, just like on later flights they left off a lot of the markings from the fuse on the real thing, I know this version was stretched, but I assume it would also have required the strap on tanks as well to make speeds up to Mach 8......

IMG_20180529_152316220-1024x576.jpg

Last edited:
Really cool. My plan is to make a epoxy glass fuse. I know how to make them light. The rest balsa.

Well Frank I'm starting on the epoxy glass version next week. Seems we have motivated each other here but one is a rocket and the other a rocket glider. The best of both worlds.
This model will have a epoxy glass fuse and a resin cast nose cone. Everything including the wing filets, panel lines and hatches, and the vertical stabs will be part of the fuse. The wings will be laser cut in balsa although I'm wondering model ply might not be a better option for the wings and the tail feathers.
I could make the wings too in glass with a real airfoil shape but I question it's worth at this scale since the airfoil was minimal anyway on this flying brick.
Anyway the plug starts next week.

I think choice of the wings all depends on weight and motor you intend to use and the CG required, fiberglass or ply will definitely hold up better under landings, but in this size they may be too heavy and require a much larger motor and much more nose weight.

My thoughts exactly. The glass I can get pretty light. I use to make epoxy glass RC jet kits and it's amazing how light you can get them.

Back