LOC X-15

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Schwantz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
No, LOC does not make one, yet. But I was bored being home on the 4th so Jason sent me a bunch of stuff. Thought I'd make a X-15. It has a 5.5" main tube, 68" long. Am awaiting the longer canopy as the stubby one was just not quite right. Be here tomorrow, thanks Jason. Wings, tail and stabs are all 1/4" PLY with the verticals also having 1/2" balsa glued to them and then sanded to the wedge. 54MMT, DD. Planning on K's to fly her.

Attachments

• X-15 013.JPG
    X-15 013.JPG
    852.6 KB · Views: 1
  • X-15 012.JPG
    X-15 012.JPG
    812.7 KB · Views: 1
  • X-15 011.JPG
    X-15 011.JPG
    854.9 KB · Views: 0
  • X-15 010.JPG
    X-15 010.JPG
    579.6 KB · Views: 0
  • X-15 005.JPG
    X-15 005.JPG
    528 KB · Views: 0
Looks really cool! Two questions:
1. Why is the airframe silver in the second post?
2. Since the main wings seem to go all the way through the airframe, what's the motor length limited to?

Entire plane will be covered in aluminum foil tape. Fullsize is inconel, which is silver. But with the tape I can add all the rivets and scale detail. Also, the color of the airframe varied from flight to flight depending on the burning and the heat it encountered. With the aluminum underneath I can burnish the paint off in certain areas and airbrush hot sections onto the airframe. MMT will take 54/1706, K 550's K2050ST. She'll scoot on those.

Never mind I got that wrong it is 6" in diameter! Even Better! I don't have one, this photo is from the website. Hope to have one someday, though!
1689107557295.png

I agree, but I like to put giant motors in rockets and still have them not go out of sight. Looks a lot cooler on scale rockets in my opinion.

Awesome project. I have almost all the parts to start on my 6" version. FG nose, phenolic tubes, 1/4" ply wings and 3" motor mount. Probably a winter build though.

This has to be the best X-15 model I've ever seen. Please send the design to LOC! There's a good chance they'll kit it.

Really? LOC doesn't strike me as a manufacturer that would make a super detailed scale kit. I don't think they have anything like that in their current lineup nor have they ever have before...Guess they could surprise me...

Hi Dave, this is NOT a LOC kit. I just made it out of LOC parts. I also assume that LOC would not go into this detail, but you never know.

She is in the paint booth. I am in need of decals, nomenclature, stars and bars and such. I have spoken with Mark at Sticker Shock at length. He is not able to cut small enough lettering, and his work is great by the way. Pro Mark graphics, where I have had dry transfers made for 20 years is out of production. Does anyone know of another shop that can do dry transfers? Thanks.

Back