LOC Minie-Magg for Level 1 cert.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well after two days of faffing about with a Fly Cutter, I actually have a bulkhead that will fit up into nose cone. I just need to land on the method I want to use to make an adjustable NC weight system. I know LOC makes them and it might have been cheaper to just buy it, but I'm already halfway down the rabbit hole of making my own now.

PSA if you use a fly cutter not only make sure the set screws are tight, use a long wrench to really REALLY tighten down those screws... Other wise they'll come flying out at the most inopportune moment. They are also almost impossible to find in the garage (well my garage) when they're flung out at 750 rpm.

Update:
Fate intervened to prevent me from getting my L1 with the Minnie-magg...
  • The fly cutter was already setup on my drill press
  • I had some scrap 1/4 furniture grade plywood
  • My 1-1/2" hole measured ~38mm
  • I had a spare 38mm LOC MT
  • LOC had a clearance 3" nose cone with a long shock cord and quick link for sale
  • I also had a spare 3" mail tube
  • Was going to be mixing up epoxy for the Minnie-magg nose cone repair anyways...
So why not build another rocket? A backup plan painted obnoxious Hi Vis Orange!

So I practiced with the fly cutter and hole saw and made 3 reasonably good centering rings. After messing around with Open Rocket and the miter saw I ended up with 3 identical fins. Several dollars worth of hardware from Lowes and I had everything to make a backup rocket... mostly from scratch.

Nose Cone
Nosecone.jpg

When I got to the launch site the weather was nice but windy. So I decided to fly the Creamsicle first since it would be more resistant to weather cocking and its design was more stable ~1.9 caliber. I picked up a CTI case and a H143 and set the delay to 7 seconds. After watching several rockets float off to the horizon, I decided to use a Jolly Logic chute release that I'd gotten myself for Xmas. I wasn't planning to use it for a cert flight, but given the wind, I felt like 30 minutes going over the directions a second and third time would be better idea than 30+ minutes of walking in hopes of finding my rocket. I also got some advice from folks at the launch on using the chute release (both pro and con). Ultimately I landed on using it set to 300'

I slightly angled the rocket into the wind and when the time came she leapt off rail and clocked slightly into the wind... motor ejected the laundry at or around apogee (at that point it was just a pixel) but it looked good to me. As the rocket fell the Nomex chute protector worked pretty well as a drogue and she floated down a bit slower than I expected. Just as the rocket passed over our heads the chute release activated, and the chute popped open with a satisfying poof. The rocket then carried ~50yds past us and into a field of deep soft grass and low shrubby trees. So I certified on the back-up rocket instead.

Post flight

IMG_2334 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Well after two days of faffing about with a Fly Cutter, I actually have a bulkhead that will fit up into nose cone. I just need to land on the method I want to use to make an adjustable NC weight system. I know LOC makes them and it might have been cheaper to just buy it, but I'm already halfway down the rabbit hole of making my own now.

PSA if you use a fly cutter not only make sure the set screws are tight, use a long wrench to really REALLY tighten down those screws... Other wise they'll come flying out at the most inopportune moment. They are also almost impossible to find in the garage (well my garage) when they're flung out at 750 rpm.

I tried using those fly cutters on my 5.5" build as I needed some custom rings... and they worked, eventually, to get those rings I needed. But the amount of effort and hassle and redoing it because it didn't quite get measured right, and then those dumb things spinning like death wheels. Argh. I have sworn off on them now.

I tried using those fly cutters on my 5.5" build as I needed some custom rings... and they worked, eventually, to get those rings I needed. But the amount of effort and hassle and redoing it because it didn't quite get measured right, and then those dumb things spinning like death wheels. Argh. I have sworn off on them now.
Yeah,
It's a real PITA. The method I settled on worked ok.
  1. Secure the piece you're cutting to a backing piece of wood with small nails on each corner of the piece you are cutting.
  2. Clamp the whole thing to the drill press so that the work is centered and very secure (prep is your friend!)
  3. Using calipers measure the centering bit width
  4. Divide the bit width by 2 (now you know the distance from the outside edge of the centering bit to the center of the bit.
  5. Take the desire radius of the ring you want to cut and subtract the number you calculated in step 4 (so now you know the distance from the edge of the centering bit to the INSIDE edge of the cutting bit)
  6. using your calipers, lock in the distance in step 5 and adjust the cutting bit so that it's properly spaced from the edge of the centering bit to the cutting bit.
  7. Tighten everything down like your life depends on it. Because it might!
  8. IF you need cut a doughnut shape (center cut out) you can also run some finishing nails into the area of your work that will become the ring so that after the first cut is made everything stays in place and centered on the drill press.
  9. Change the bit without moving the work and it should still be centered

Minnie-magg NC rebuild
  • I cut the back off the NC and used heat to reshape the cone.
  • Just leaving it on my work bench in the sun the plastic material memory kicked in and it partially reshaped itself.
  • After the heat gun It's probably 97% (still some slight lumps/depressions, but you've gotta look for them)
  • Used some Plastic weld I got at Home Depot to seal the seam splits
  • Placed a 5/16 carriage bolt round side down in the tip of the NC
  • Drove nails through the NC to hold the carriage bolt tightly in place (drove the nails so they held the square section of the carriage bolt)
  • Ran epoxy to fill behind the carriage bolt and up and over the flange of the bolt head up to the start of the threads
  • Put a fender washer down the threads to seat on top of the epoxy
  • Cut a bulkhead ring using the method posted above + cussing
  • Cut a slightly smaller bulkhead
  • Lined them up together and drilled holes for T nuts
  • Test fit into NC
  • Epoxied the bulkhead ring just above the shoulders of the NC
  • Epoxied up the T nuts, and eye bolt on the solid bulkheadIMG_2333 (1).jpg
It's out of focus but you can see the carriage bolt in the nose and a wingnut holding down a stack of fender washers. The washers are ~9gms each. This is a stack of 20 washers.

(note I didn't measure out the spacing of the T nuts very well so that kinda blows)

IMG_2332 (1).jpg
I meant to have the math / scratch notes facing up and out of sight, but as I mentioned the t nuts aren't symmetrical so I had to have the bulkhead facing in this direction.

But overall the rebuilt nose cone feels VERY solid and nose heavy. I can change the weight in the NC by adding or taking away fender washers. I even made a PVC tool to slot over the wingnut for easy assembly/disassembly

At some point in the future this will be an Ebay.

You can also use the Minie Magg for your L2. I used mine for that with a JCLR. Do the L1, take the test, do the L2, both in the same day. THEN, start doing dual deploy if you want to go for L3. For my L2 I used an Aerotech J270W DMS, 3,250', fully visible the entire flight.

You can also use the Minie Magg for your L2. I used mine for that with a JCLR. Do the L1, take the test, do the L2, both in the same day. THEN, start doing dual deploy if you want to go for L3. For my L2 I used an Aerotech J270W DMS, 3,250', fully visible the entire flight.
Yeah I may do that. I did end up flying the Minnie-magg too and it would have been a successful certification. After having success with the orange rocket and the chute release, I bought another h143 and sent her up on it. It also weather cocked a bit, but didn't get nearly the same height as the orange rocket, which was expected because the Minnie-magg is chonky.

I set the JL to 200' and again the large nomex chute protector worked well as a streamer but she was falling much faster. It made the experience more exhilarating and I was glad when the JL deployed and the chute popped right open seemingly in the nick of time. It landed on the field ~100 yards up wind from the launch rod. Nice soft landing, no damage.

I don't think I'll use the 200' setting again, too close for comfort and everything has to go just right. It was fun though.

@Reid --

I couldn't view your video thru my browser on TRF but I downloaded it and it played fine in VLC on my Desktop ...

Nice flight !

It kinda looked and sounded like Texas what with all that wind :)

Where on earth do you fly ?

And good thing you DID use your JLCR with that CTI H143 Smokey Sam !

Thanks for the video and congratulations again !

-- kjh

EDIT: a VLC snapshot:
vlcsnap-2024-01-04-11h17m39s506-rot.png

Last edited:
@Reid --

I couldn't view your video thru my browser on TRF but I downloaded it and it played fine in VLC on my Desktop ...

Nice flight !

It kinda looked and sounded like Texas what with all that wind :)

Where on earth do you fly ?

And good thing you DID use your JLCR with that CTI H143 Smokey Sam !

Thanks for the video and congratulations again !

-- kjh

EDIT: a VLC snapshot:
View attachment 622831
Yeah, I saw a few pop at the top and drift off so I wanted none of that.
The launch site is just SW of Melbourne FL (Palm Bay)

https://www.spaceportrocketry.org/index.html

Yes, I certified on the orange rocket with JLCR. I also flew the Minie-magg successfully. Details in post #34
Congratulations!!!! I really like the Mini-Magg.

I just need a smaller build pile to fit a Mini Magg in.
Current build pile:
  • 4" Fiberglass Honest John (75 to 80% complete)
  • Bullet Bobby XXL (50 to 65% complete)
  • Wildman Carbon Mach 2 (35 to 65% complete)
  • Level 3 Ultimate Wildman (5-7% complete)

Congratulations!!!! I really like the Mini-Magg.

I just need a smaller build pile to fit a Mini Magg in.
Current build pile:
  • 4" Fiberglass Honest John (75 to 80% complete)
  • Bullet Bobby XXL (50 to 65% complete)
  • Wildman Carbon Mach 2 (35 to 65% complete)
  • Level 3 Ultimate Wildman (5-7% complete)

I am drooling for a Wildman Mach2 it's probably beyond my experience level, but I am going to get one when they're back in stock. I have been checking the site... I'll buy it and wait to start it till the proverbial decks are clear.

Right now I've got everything set aside to build an Eggtimer Quasar... so that's going to be next.

As for a "pile" of partially built rockets, I couldn't manage that. I don't know how anybody starts another build with one partially done. (Not throwing shade on you or anyone else) I just couldn't manage. I need a linear flow from a=>b otherwise I get lost in the sauce. If I start it, I have to finish it, otherwise it feels like Damocles' sword.

Last edited:
I have a couple kits I got because they were "limited production" or something I wanted for the future and a good deal popped up. I happily flew my Mini-Magg for 2 years without a backup, now I have 5 projects in the pile somehow.

I am drooling for a Wildman Mach2 it's probably beyond my experience level, but I am going to get one when they're back in stock. I have been checking the site... I'll buy it and wait to start it till the proverbial decks are clear.

Right now I've got everything set aside to build an Eggtimer Quasar... so that's going to be next.

As for a "pile" of partially built rockets, I couldn't manage that. I don't know how anybody starts another build with one partially done. (Not throwing shade on you or anyone else) I just couldn't manage. I need a linear flow from a=>b otherwise I get lost in the sauce. If I start it, I have to finish it, otherwise it feels like Damocles' sword.
I take my time on each build and most steps take me 20 min or less but the epoxy takes longer to cure so I run a sort of assembly line.

Back