WILDMAN/CRAZY JIM Flying circus launching 27ft "MEGA" DarkStar at LDRS....."O" my!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yah, having the main going before lighting the outboards is important. We demonstrated the problems with not doing that with our first Delta III flight. :y:

-Kevin

You know what the solution to that problem is, right Kevin?

(Answer: More thermite :D)

As a matter of fact I talked to Iva today from the production company about who was going to be hosting and doing some of the interviews. It WILL be one of the Mythbusters.
Sorry I can't remember her name, it's the redhead who is a regular on the show. How did you know about it?

By the way it should air sometime in July.

Carrie is the one, she just delivered a baby and is back on the show!:cheers:

Carrie is the one, she just delivered a baby and is back on the show!:cheers:

Pssst, it's Kari..with a K..;)

Build is looking awesome so far! Man, I wish I could be up there participating in your rocket building mayhem!:bangbang:

Really? I always thought it was with a "C" Oh well, it never hurts to be politicly correct :D

SD

Today was a bear,

Cleaned up the mess in the shop from all the Chaos yesterday so we could get back to the project.
Nothing very exciting. Just injecting the massive internal fillets. Got 2 sets done, leaving for Bong launch in the morning so things will resume monday.

Pic of set of internal fillets, had to put flashlight into one of the 54 hole to see how we were doing.

100_4996.jpg

Parts came in for the Sweet 16 rocket, so I was busy with that also.

Put a super bevel on the fins

Glued up the Cr's and recovery harness.

Fitted and marked the fins

Sanded everything in preparation for assembly.

Got about 1/2 way with altbay. Rocket is basically a 6in nose cone with fins in a section of bt just long enough to hold fins and NC shoulder.

So the bay is recessed into the NC to allow room for chute.

Bay will be foamed in and the NC bulkplate doubles as the alt bay cap too. Apogee deploy main and go find it with the tracker. This one's in the first to 1000 ft race
Threaded rods will be foamed in to....go through bay and Nc Bp will be held on with nuts.
Going up on J 1999. ....500lbs of thrust for .6 sec.

Should weight around 10 lbs. Got a 75mm hole!

100_4999.jpg

100_5000.jpg

100_5001.jpg

100_5002.jpg

100_5004.jpg

Last edited:
As if that's not enough, we got to build another 6in rocket for Tim's entry into the Sweet 16.

On top of that I'm building a 6in Ultimate Wildman for an entry into the N-10,000 race, and Tim is building one for some one elses entry in the N-10,000 .......whew! All being built at the same time. 3 are ready for glue now and 2 alt bays are close. In just 3 days!

That's 4 six inch rockets complete with all the internals and The Mega.

5 large projects, all must be done by LDRS and going to launches every weekend. Work on the projects at night. Got to be some kind of record here!

Last shot is all the projects being worked on at the same time. Hope I get the right fins on the correct rockets. LOL

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name: 100_5005.jpg Views: 0 Size: 47.5 KB ID: 7629

100_5010.jpg

100_5005.jpg

100_5008.jpg

100_5013.jpg

100_5016.jpg

A lot got done today.

Stay tuned for all the chaos and mayhem. It's getting interesting. Good nite !

Sorry I'm not going into very much detail. Just isn't enough time.

Last edited:
5 large projects, all must be done by LDRS and going to launches every weekend. Work on the projects at night. Got to be some kind of record here!

The five projects wouldn't be so bad, considering how well you and Tim work together, and your build method.

Adding in the launches, though....yikes!

-Kevin

Man you guys are busy! I guess Tim has a clone?:confused2: His calendar in a couple instances listed as being at 2 locations at the same time! Wish I could do that bit of magic!:roll:

Specifically: June 10-15 LDRS and June 12&13 BONG also June 26 & 27 Quad Cities Air Show and June 25 & 27 NERFF..

I guess sleep IS overrated!:roll: At least there is a break at the end of September til Midwest Power at the end of October!

tell me about it :confused:
we got home at 8:30 went out to the shop to lay down another set of fillets on the mega and a little more touch up .
Tim
Wildman Hobbies
815-638-3200

Tim, Jim, if you're still reading this, check the Wildman sales email.
I just sent you some stuff on that circuit board you wanted me to design. It's probably close to ready.

I'm back in the saddle again, been sick as a dog since last Sat. TIM'S been pulling all the slack by himself on the big one

But I put a hurt'n on it today.

Some pics and updates....

Also building 2 Ultimate Wildman. Some are having problems with leaking when injecting a tip here:

When fitting your fins draw a line where fin meets body tube.

When you tack the fins on, now there is a visual for you to see if the fin is down all the way or not.

Did 6 fins today.

100_5018.jpg

100_5019.jpg

100_5021.jpg

100_5032.jpg

On the MEGA.....all fins are in and internal fillets have been injected and externals are done and sanded.

Tim putting thickened epoxy on the fins for a better finish.

Pour it on.

Smooth it out.

All six were done today and sanded.

3 more body tubes and the R-das electronics arrived today.

Also just arrived the 60in X chute and Nomex protectors from Topflight. Nothing but the best for the Mega Thanks Gary!

100_5034.jpg

100_5035.jpg

100_5036.jpg

Last edited:
2 Ultimates get their Motor mount sub assemblies built.

Then installed.

And there fins tacked on.

After all needed parts are pre-sanded.

100_5037.jpg

100_5038.jpg

100_5043.jpg

100_5048.jpg

While one set of tacked on fins is cured.

The internals get injected.

As the other set of tacked on ones cures, waiting for its internals.

100_5044.jpg

100_5046.jpg

100_5052.jpg

Also working on my entry in the sweet 16 race. "Flying nose cone of Death" aka Iva gota Rocket.

Motor mount assembly goes in.

Fins tacked on.

3 sets of internal fillets done!

100_5050.jpg

100_5055.jpg

100_5065.jpg

Attachments

• 100_5052.jpg
    100_5052.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
End of day:

1 Ultimate fincan all internal fillets done.

1 Ultimate fincan all tacked 1 set internals done.

Nose cone of death. All internal done.

All above have finished MM assemblies and recovery harnesses finished.

All fillets and finish sanding work on MEGA done.

ME.....I'm done in! Tim way done in!

We leave for LDRS in one week to the day.

Must finish and PAINT the mega and all these, plus av-bays, electronics and recovery. Plus ground test.

And some of you guys are taking .....how long ? .........to build your Ultimate's.

100_5039.jpg

100_5066.jpg

100_5067.jpg

100_5069.jpg

Last edited:
And some of you guys are taking .....how long ? .........to build your Ultimate's.

Yeah, yeah... :p

How much 5 min epoxy are you guys using? I suspect a lot of what you're building with is fairly fast, to let you move at the pace you are.

-Kevin

5 Minute was only used to tack fins and to plug leaks for internal fillets .
I did also use 5 for the skim coat on the mega fins .
By the way if you haven't tried the west 5 minute epoxy yet ,that stuff is great
Tim

5 Minute was only used to tack fins and to plug leaks for internal fillets .
I did also use 5 for the skim coat on the mega fins .

Cool; really good use of it.

The stuff I have, unless it's in the 80+ range, takes a full 24 hours to cure. I need to move my build to the garage, and take advantage of the heat -- the basement is cool.

By the way if you haven't tried the west 5 minute epoxy yet ,that stuff is great

I may have to pick some up, specifically for that use. I finally finished off a gallon can of West resin that I bought....5 years ago?

-Kevin

Jim, you forgot to mention that all this was accomplished after a night shift at the foundry. :clap:

Light hearted sarcasm aside, kudos for demonstrating a mega build and several other Ultimate builds tangentially.

Yeah, yeah... :p

How much 5 min epoxy are you guys using? I suspect a lot of what you're building with is fairly fast, to let you move at the pace you are.

-Kevin

Actually I was waiting for this one! LOL

The 1 UW has NO 5 minute in it. Used 406 thickened epoxy to tack on the fins. Mixed batch a tad hot. Was stiff enough to inject in an hour. Just to show you can do it without 5.

This new 5 min. West stuff is 'da bomb" though. It will put your building faith into 5 minute epoxy. It cures clear and hard, just like the regular stuff.
But man you got to be fast. Once you start mixing it's 5 minutes till game over!.
No tackiness or rubbery feel to surface like many 5 minute brands. At least you fell good about using it along side of real epoxy.

Rail buttons, vent bands, Bulkplates to coupler plates, tacking CR's there are tons of uses for this new stuff. I'm using it where I would normally tack/use CA.

Jim, you forgot to mention that all this was accomplished after a night shift at the foundry. :clap:

And..... taking the Motor home in for new tires, replacing the shocks, [Tim did this himself] cutting the grass, cleaning the pond, doing laundry, cooking dinner, taking and shipping orders all day, photo documenting all this building with tons of pictures and posting the results.....shall I go on....LOL

And..... taking the Motor home in for new tires, replacing the shocks, [Tim did this himself] cutting the grass, cleaning the pond, doing laundry, cooking dinner, taking and shipping orders all day, photo documenting all this building with tons of pictures and posting the results.....shall I go on....LOL

...I cut the lawn yesterday...;)

What day do you guys plan on flying this monster? I am hoping on Sat. because that is when I will be there.

Dave

Yeah, but some of us have jo....oh, wait, you were describing work weren't you? :p

If you know what you're doing, and you and Tim obviously do and work well together, you can build really fast. We built our 24" dia Redstone in 5 weeks, including putting CF on the tube. In the same 5 weeks we also built the Goddard A-5.

-Kevin

Sounds like time to take a break and have a few cocktails.
You & Tim are getting to old to keep up this pace.:roll:

Back