WILDMAN/CRAZY JIM Flying circus launching 27ft "MEGA" DarkStar at LDRS....."O" my!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today:

All internals on both UW done.

1 set each external fillets UW done.

Iva gota rocket, [sweet 16 racer] all 3 sets external done , sanded, ready for paint. Centering rings epoxied to airframe. [internal fillets]
NC partially foamed. Alt bay built and ready for installation in nose cone.

NC, payload, altimeter bay, BP's for same ,vent band all sanded ready for assembly, marked for vents, shear pins and alt bay vents. Pre fitted for correct fit. 1 UW.

100_5070.jpg

100_5072.jpg

100_5074.jpg

100_5078.jpg

A great deal of time spent in filling and sanding the fincan to ready for primer.

Then more sanding, filling, and at dark a final primer for the day.

The other 3 body tubes and couplers arrived today so they were fitted, sanded and primed. Now awaiting filler.

Tim used auto paint and fillers for Mega. I'm sick of sanding!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

100_5082.jpg

100_5083.jpg

100_5086.jpg

100_5087.jpg

A great deal of time spent in filling and sanding the fincan to ready for primer.

Then more sanding, filling, and at dark a final primer for the day.

The other 3 body tubes and couplers arrived today so they were fitted, sanded and primed. Now awaiting filler.

Tim used auto paint and fillers for Mega. I'm sick of sanding!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Jim It's looking sweet I gotta agree sanding is the only part of this hobby I really dont like.

Nice! Having the MMT/Fin Section standing up like that clearly demonstrates how Mega this rocket truly is.

I actually find sanding nice and relaxing...but...this one...:eyepop:

Jim, you never told us what you were useing for the laundry! So, what are you useing?

SD

Nice! Having the MMT/Fin Section standing up like that clearly demonstrates how Mega this rocket truly is.

I actually find sanding nice and relaxing...but...this one...:eyepop:

I have a 7.5 Hojo you can relax on.:pop:

Jim, you never told us what you were using for the laundry! So, what are you useing?

SD

I personally prefer powdered Tide fresh scent......

But the Mega likes.....

For the drogue: 60inch X form from Topflight ylw/blk

Main: 20ft sky angle wht/blk

Troj...pic reminds me of the scene in DR StrangleLove where the Slim Pickens rides the H-bomb cowboy style to his doom!

Last edited:
Another day spent sanding and re-priming.

Final weigh in of completed fin can....what a surprise...only 41lbs!

I think we might make only around 150lbs finished, ready to fly, not bad for 27 ft.

100_5089.jpg

100_5094.jpg

Finish coats [2] went on all the tubes and fincan.

First there was one, then the room gets crowded.

But before the finish coat, everything gets wet sanded with 1000 grit.

Then fins must be taped off, they will be yellow.

2 coats black. another looong day!

100_5095.jpg

100_5111.jpg

100_5103.jpg

100_5105.jpg

Last edited:
Also finished Iva prep... ready for its primer.

1 UM finished external fillets. payload, altbay, rivets etc. fillets sanded and it's ready for primer and filler.

Other UM got external fillets.

Along with filming all this for Discovery.

And 4 more rockets to paint!

Twenty some odd feet of black paint with 1000grit detail? Saaaweeet! This rocket's going to look like a supersonic limo!

If you get a second, what kind/brand of paint and sprayer? (I'm sure you guys didn't buy every rattle can in northern Illinois )

Last edited:
According to Iva [the person not the rocket LOL] it will air July 5th on Discovery and be a 1 hour show. Don't know what time though. I'm sure at LDRS I can find out and let everyone know.

Pretty amazing they can get all that editing done so quickly.

Just finished clear on 3 tubes. Fincan next...re-tape for yellow fins....then clear...will be done tonight.

According to Iva [the person not the rocket LOL] it will air July 5th on Discovery and be a 1 hour show. Don't know what time though. I'm sure at LDRS I can find out and let everyone know.

Pretty amazing they can get all that editing done so quickly.

Just finished clear on 3 tubes. Fincan next...re-tape for yellow fins....then clear...will be done tonight.

Yes thats is what I heard from Iva and Christin too. first week in July.

They are supposed to have 2 or 3 crews at LDRS filming. so it should be pretty cool ..

Don't forget, anyone can get in on the Special.. remember they are having an ODD ROCs contest hosted by Discovery.

One more thin I heard it will air on Discovery science

Sweet we can open our secret santa christmas in july gifts a day before the big show!

I can't wait to watch it, Sadly my chances of going got scrubbed when Dad's hours got cut back. I was really excited, but now I have to wait. If anyone wants to drag along a very excited 14 year old from idaho, I'm in :p

You guys are getting a lot done, way fast. It's going to be a pretty awesome sight when that skidmark O takes that thing for a ride.

the primer is ppg DZ3 lacquer , there is nothing like Lacquer primer you can put over anything and its dries instantly .the paint is also ppg DBU 2 part base coat clear coat .
Its great stuff fast drying and tough easy to use .
Tim

Saturday the flag from Mark Rose stationed at Kandahar air base arrived! It will be flown in the mega.Hopefully unfurling during main deployment.

What a great idea Mark came up with. He had the flag flown over the base then in a few planes during their missions. Thanks buddy! Hope all is well with you and the troops your stationed with. Please tell them and the pilots involved: thank you from Tim and I and the rest of us over here!

image5.jpg

image8.jpg

image21.jpg

image31.jpg

image35.jpg

Note that the one pic is a drawing a solder did on a desert dust covered table with his fingers!

Some of the planes the flag flew in during missions.

Which ones will be announced later.

image14.jpg

image45.jpg

image65.jpg

image98.jpg

All the tubes were finished today with their final colors and clear coats.

Black paint from yesterday covered and fins ready for the yellow.

After paint , paper and tape removed for final clear coats over the whole thing

100_5116.jpg

100_5133.jpg

Finally finished with the super shiny clear!

The first pic was taken right after spraying it on.
No the pic is not bad.
There is so much overspray/fog in the air the flash reflected in it, hiding the rocket.

1/2 hour later after it settled then I got a good shot.

You can see the fog escaping out the door when I photographed the tubes drying outside LOL The bright spot on the tubes is my flash reflecting in the spectacular shine!!!!!

Yes we wore respirators, no the rocket did not!

More rockets in the background all getting painted tomorrow. [leaning on the shop.]

Can you guess what they are?

WILDMEN......of course! 3 & 4 inch.

Stickershocks decals go on tomorrow! Ya hooo!

100_5135.jpg

100_5139.jpg

100_5141.jpg

100_5123.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool! Those colors are nice looking!

The flag is pretty awesome too! Love the A-10 warthog, that looks like the un manned predator, and a C-130! Correct?

Every picture you post makes me die a little inside, for not being able to see it live.

Maybe you should bring it to black rock for XPRS and do it again? :D

the primer is ppg DZ3 lacquer , there is nothing like Lacquer primer you can put over anything and its dries instantly .the paint is also ppg DBU 2 part base coat clear coat .
Its great stuff fast drying and tough easy to use .
Tim

Thanx Tim!

Looks really nice, guys, and the flag idea is really cool.

You should make a poster of this picture

attachment.php

And have it up when you're prepping the rocket.

-Kevin

After seeing the Mega's raw size while being painted, that 3'x5' US flag will look like a little postage stamp in the recovery laundry :jaw:! That was the only size available in the Kandahar base exchange.

CJ/Tim, I am thrilled it got there in time! I can't tell you how much I wish I could have been there to see it in person. I am sure ROCKETS magazine will be there to video it, so I'll watch via DVD as soon as I can (can't get to YouTube here, but can get RP and TRF, thankfully). And, if anyone posts pictures of LDRS on RP or TRF, I would sure love to see them. I cannot see linked web pictures (i.e. Smugmug, Photobucket, Google, etc), but I can see any "attached files" photos within RP/TRF.

In case anyone's curious how or why the flag idea got started, when I read of the Mega project being done by my rocket mentor, CJ, I did my best to think of something I could do to contribute from the sandbox. If you don't know CJ, he epitomizes the type of rocketeer that pays forward, and readily helps others at every opportunity (like on TRF). And, CJ always makes a rocket launch more entertaining just by being there. For Wildman Tim, it's my belief that without vendors like Wildman Rocketry making a pittance of a profit (hopefully) to sustain our dreams, our hobby wouldn't exist. Wildman Rocketry leads this small industry in many ways, especially in innovation and service. Projects like the Mega and rocketeers like CJ & Tim keep the rocketry passion alive for us all.

So, you two Wildmen are awesome, and your Mega project is very inspiring--thank you. I hope the combat experienced, Afghanistan sent US Flag honors you both, your Mega, and provides good rocketry vibes for a awe-inspiring, successful flight. Go rock the LDRS house!

Mark it will be my honor and privilege to put the flag in the Mega .
I am sure photo's will be poster here please share them with everyone who flew the flag before us .
I personally want to thank you and all of the other servicemen and women over there.
I look forward to seeing you
Stay safe
Tim

Mark,

That is just way too cool. I want to personally thank you and all your buddies for doing what you to keep us free!

Wish you could be here to see it in person.. But hey.. Octoberfest is in Las Vegas. maybe we will see you there!

Back