WILDMAN/CRAZY JIM Flying circus launching 27ft "MEGA" DarkStar at LDRS....."O" my!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a matter of fact I talked to Iva today from the production company about who was going to be hosting and doing some of the interviews. It WILL be one of the Mythbusters.
Sorry I can't remember her name, it's the redhead who is a regular on the show.

That would be Kari Byron....

-Kevin

This is disappointing. LDRS comes closer to me than ever and I still can't make the trip. Now you're going to tell me their is a 6 inch J drag race, along with this darkstar, another N10,000 drag race AND the Mythbusters?
:bang:

This is disappointing. LDRS comes closer to me than ever and I still can't make the trip. Now you're going to tell me their is a 6 inch J drag race, along with this darkstar, another N10,000 drag race AND the Mythbusters?

Regardless of the "special" stuff, I'd encourage anyone to travel to at least one national launch, when it's within a reasonable driving distance. (In this case, that means within 6 to 8 hours).

Even if you can only go for a day, it's well worth the trip. It's a great opportunity to meet people in person.

I'd hoped to make LDRS this year, but my house conspired against me.

-Kevin

Regardless of the "special" stuff, I'd encourage anyone to travel to at least one national launch, when it's within a reasonable driving distance. (In this case, that means within 6 to 8 hours).

Even if you can only go for a day, it's well worth the trip. It's a great opportunity to meet people in person.

I'd hoped to make LDRS this year, but my house conspired against me.

-Kevin

Dad and I were considering it before his hours at work got cut back. Hopefully his paycheck will go back to normal, it may be in the cards then. Too late for this year. where is LDRS 30 supposed to be at?

Dad and I were considering it before his hours at work got cut back. Hopefully his paycheck will go back to normal, it may be in the cards then. Too late for this year. where is LDRS 30 supposed to be at?

Next year's LDRS location won't be announced until the banquet at LDRS this year.

-Kevin

Next year's LDRS location won't be announced until the banquet at LDRS this year.

-Kevin
My hope is it will be in Argonia with Lance & Bob B. and the Kloud Busters group.
That site is a great place to fly and they know how to put on a good LDRS.

My hope is it will be in Argonia with Lance & Bob B. and the Kloud Busters group.
That site is a great place to fly and they know how to put on a good LDRS.

CENTER OF THE U.S. TOO--THIS EAST COAST/WEST COAST THING IS GETTING TIRING.

I'd put in a vote for black rock. I mean, 100k waivers? That'd be something to shoot for at LDRS.

Man, I'd fly all the way out again if they did it at BR again... but I know it can't happen.

The reason Tripoli ditched it as a site for LDRS after 1992 was simply that the site (and surrounding ammenities) couldn't handle the sheer number of people.

I for one am getting old and am well and trully DONE with the whole 'adventure' thing and would happily stay in a motel for a 6 day launch... but wouldn't want to camp on a freezing lakebed for a week :)

Bruno's will sleep 50, maybe 60 people tops... LDRS needs hotels/motels with capacity for at least 300+ people these days... the needs of the banquet alone rule out Gerlach as there simply isn't a building big enough.

Damn it'd be awesome though :)

Ben

I'm pretty sure Idaho-Lucerne is more than 12 hours.

Ben, driving to cali would be no problem. The funds are the problem here. If it were at BR I could pay for a good portion of the funding by next june.

and CJL is right. When we go to Disneyland Boise-Anaheim is about 15 and a half hours.

Things really picked up speed today.....Tim and I did our pre-build interviews for the Discovery channel at LDRS today. It took over 3hrs just to interview the 2 of us, before the rocket build started!

It's late and I'm going to keep the dialog short and to the point. Took some pics of the film crew and the build. I'll answer any questions later.

So for you viewing here ya go.....

The motor mount assembly and tubes. This will be built with the injection method to prove once and for all what its all about! We are speed building this huge rocket an it should be done in a week [Wildman style] Previously an unheard of thing. Most project this size take months of planning.

We decided to do it just 3 weeks ago and it really started today.

100_4923.jpg

100_4962.jpg

100_4967.jpg

100_4920.jpg

An old rocket propped against a tree for the backdrop during Tim's interview.

And some internal pics.

Motor side of fincan with Tim inspecting.

Recovery side.

Motors installed to help alignment issues. No tubes, just motors through the rings. Not enough room for the regular MM tubes.

100_4924.jpg

100_4928.jpg

100_4947.jpg

100_4950.jpg

100_4963.jpg

Last edited:
More internals and the inside build interview.

Camera man takes a break to Ham it up for "my" camera.

Tim and Kristin reviewing some shots

100_4966.jpg

100_4937.jpg

100_4946.jpg

100_4944.jpg

Attachments

• 100_4963.jpg
    100_4963.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 53
Tim tried to get me to put a bag over my head, but I wasn't buying it!! [At least not till after a few]

The Carbon fins

Super nice bevel

Note the curved detail on the rear of the front fin where it will meet the airframe. Just awesome...... Beveled AND a tapered curve.

They weigh just a pound or 2 a piece. Use vinyl foam cores and carbon plate that was made!

The fins have the tabs due to the length of airframe fincan. Fincan will be 2 tube and we did not want to slot part of the coupler. It must come apart to travel.

100_4942.jpg

100_4951.jpg

100_4955.jpg

100_4957.jpg

100_4958.jpg

Five minute epoxy goes on.

Insert fins

No fancy alignment guides. Eyeball it Wildman style.

We do however have a fin holder instead of guide!

Nice beverage holder.....look in motor mount!

Took a whole bottle [set] of new West 5 minute to tack the fins. This is really great stuff. When dry you can't tell it apart from the normal West.

100_4974.jpg

100_4981.jpg

100_4972.jpg

100_4975.jpg

100_4984.jpg

Last edited:
The Mega resting for the night.

The chaos and mayhem resulting from the days build and filming.

I'd say one heck of a lot done for 1 day, wouldn't you?

All that remains of the fincan is injecting the internal fillets and the external ones. There will be a small external, then some glass strips, finally a larger external to finish up

100_4988.jpg

100_4987.jpg

Last edited:
Finally this picture deserves it's own post.

No it's not a new 2 stage Wildman rocket:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Yes that's a 6in. Ultimate Wildman[minus fins] stuck through the motor mount tube just to show the scale and size of this thing!!!!

Good Night one and all!!!!! Sleep tight little rocket. You'll need your rest.

100_4991.jpg

You guys got all this done with a production crew hanging out as well? Wow! It's like watching a five hundred car rocket building freight train. The momentum of this build is absolutely spectacular! :headbang:

Lookin' good, guys!

Fast builds are easy, if you've got a group that knows what they're doing. We built a 24" Redstone in 5 weeks, and did the Pershing II even faster.

You two have done this a few times, and know your system, which makes it go really fast.

BTW, I see you found a use for Tim -- as a fin holder. :)

-Kevin

Some one asked about the 54's coming up to pressure ?
We don't even know If we are using any yet .
The holes are there if we need them and then we will determine the size and type needed to get our thrust to weight .
Yesterday was just nuts, it reminded me of the marines .
Hurry up and wait .
I was out in the shop at 7 packing orders before everyone arrived .
Then nobody was there until 10:30.
we actually started building the rocket at about 4:00 less all of the time for the film crew
Just to put it into perspective that part of the shop we were in is 25 x 25
and clean until we started .
I just went out there and it looks like a there was a rocket party out there ,oh ya there was :)
Tim
Wildman Hobbies
815-638-3200
BTW

Some one asked about the 54's coming up to pressure ?
We don't even know If we are using any yet

Sorry Tim, sometimes I can be a little cryptic.

It would be very impressive to get the 54's fired up as close to the ground as possible after the central motor gets the rocket safely moving skywords. (Extra propellant burning where people can actually see and hear it)

I purchased a Raven specifically for the above purpose. I can program/lend it to you if you don't already have one.

Scott

Last edited:
It would be very impressive to get the 54's fired up as close to the ground as possible after the central motor gets the rocket safely moving skywords. (Extra propellant burning where people can actually see and hear it)

Yah, having the main going before lighting the outboards is important. We demonstrated the problems with not doing that with our first Delta III flight. :y:

-Kevin

Great rocket.... but where are the pictures of Kari!!!!!

Last edited:
Back