Why A10 is my fav motor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The launch lugs on those rockets are ginormous.. ;)

Seems like these would be perfect candidates for launching out of a piece of pvc tubing... and thus... no launch lugs. :dontknow:

I like the A10 mostly because it's available in a booster - A10-0 to A10-0 to A10-3 makes for a fun 3 stage flight.

See, I don’t know if I could ever pick a favorite motor, but the A10 is something that I think every rocketeer should try and most should keep in their range box. They’re like $12 for a pack of 4, they come in plugged, booster, and single-stage variants, and they have good lift capacity. I don’t see an excuse not to.

About the only issue is the aforementioned CATO tendency. They’re not as notorious as the E and F motors but that is a risk you take when you fly one.

I prefer the F-111E

Oh... this isn't a plane... ;)

I'll show myself out...
I was a crew chief on the F-111E at Upper Heyford.
Alas the F-111F at Lakenheath had the F100 turbofan instead of the TF-30 making it far superior.
Still the E could fly TFR into the USSR and deliver a few special weapons.

I finished on the Glass Cockpit D model in New Mexico. Alas the tech at the time was not up to the task

Oh come on... its spectactular either way! If your dumb enough to build a model just to watch a chance it might blow up..... then you are in the wrong hobby.
Wrong. If you're dumb enough to put a CATO prone motor into an expensive model and wreck it then you're in the wrong hobby.
ways-to-overcome-frustration-and-deal-with-anger.jpg

Last edited:
Golly, I'm sooo dumb! Lost my mini HOJO to an A10 CATO.

Good bye Whooshing Crane, E12, twice CATOED!
FB_IMG_1628571153542.jpg

So long Smaug, E9 CATO

IMG_20151121_124448234.jpg

Hasta la vista baby! Pro Series 2 kitbash to an E9.

IMG_20140329_152607581.jpg

A10 Catoed on Sharknader's first flight, but with 12 motors it didn't matter. Had spread out the sin!

20210703_092436.jpg

Maybe I am just building the wrong kind of rockets. 3-4FNC with only one reliable motor. That's smart. It's not the motor's fault, it's my fault! Such a gaslighting Estes shill too. :)

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the small motors too.

In addition to being inexpensive, the performance is great! In a small to medium size rocket will just disappear when the button is pushed.

I also like building the small rockets. They go together quick and you can mess around with some unusual ideas without much risk.

Best of all, these little things are fun!

(I must admit, though, that getting a chute packed in a BT-20 tube seems to be more of a challenge now than it was when I was a kid!)

Here are a few rockets from my 13mm fleet:

Super Snark
1677891886814.png

Scale Skybolt missile
1677892390160.png

Old school design
1677892631807.png

And my nutty Hypersonic Research Vehicle. Twin 13mm boost gilder. (Awaiting balancing, stability testing, recovery streamers and guts for first flight!)
1677895640983.png

Back