Idea's for A10-PT Engines

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1parrothead

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a bunch of A10-PT engines that were given to me. I know Estes intended them for Blurzz cars and Boost Gliders, but I have none of those and would like to use them up.

I have some smaller rockets without recovery systems that use A engines and was wondering if I can use these in them? What engines could I possibly substitute these for?

Jeff

I made an upscale of the Quest Harpoon - BT70, PNC BB80, lotsa fins. Powered by 5x cluster, D12 or E9, and four A10PTs.

Also, burn them in 4" diameter paper saucers. Lotsa fun, and easy recovery.

I made an upscale of the Quest Harpoon - BT70, PNC BB80, lotsa fins. Powered by 5x cluster, D12 or E9, and four A10PTs.

Also, burn them in 4" diameter paper saucers. Lotsa fun, and easy recovery.
Second both of these. Cluster them with regular motors that can eject the chute or streamer. It you have some spare BT-5 cones, can make nice outboard “pods” right next to main tube. Do NOT put them on fin tips unless you have a big central motor, like at least a 24mm C.

also perfect motors for small saucer rockets!

Hello all,
I have a bunch of A10-PT engines that were given to me. I know Estes intended them for Blurzz cars and Boost Gliders, but I have none of those and would like to use them up.

I have some smaller rockets without recovery systems that use A engines and was wondering if I can use these in them? What engines could I possibly substitute these for?

Jeff
Hello all,

Jeff
I hear they are heavier than other 13mm engines.
I think they could be fine with little stuff like this.
https://artapplewhite.com/

"Also, burn them in 4" diameter paper saucers. Lotsa fun, and easy recovery".
"Art Applewhite’s site for saucers and spinners"

I am interested in these idea's since I have never done any larger rockets with clusters. Can someone elaborate on a saucer?

Hello all,

Jeff
They could be good in side boosters.

To elaborate: non-ejecting side boosters, where an ejection charge is undesirable. I like the idea of sticking these in pods on 24mm rockets, where the central motor does most of the work, and the side boosters are there for effect and just a bit more umph. I haven't actually built one like that yet, though.

Last edited:
I use them in little cones 3D printed from the Art Applewhite site. Lots and lots of fun!

Could also make a 13mm powered Sputnik style rocket.

I've used them in Twin Factor and Odd'l Sputnik. (The extra weight dents the Sputnik on landing.)

If I had a bunch to use up, I'd look for a small saucer design for them.

Yup, saucers, spools and oddrocs.
Some kit suggestions:
Estes Destination Mars Leaper.
The recommended A10-3T can blow the styrofoam head off the astronaut if it's in too snugly.
Or if it CATOs.
The plugged A10 circumvents that. 😀
Estes Blenders.
Estes Twin Factor.
Use as the sustainer motor.
NewWay Boxie Birdie.

Could also make a 13mm powered Sputnik style rocket.
Or buy one.
https://www.siriusrocketry.biz/ishop/oddl-rockets-sputnik-1042.html

Looks extremely impressive with all those engines firing! Thanks for sharing.

3x A10's + E12 is quite a lot of power. How much Noseweight did you use?
I figured the outboard contribution would be negligible, but while total thrust of the A10s is about 1/14 that of the E, the PEAK thrust is about 1/3, and both A10 peaks a bit earlier than the E12, while weight is less than 1/10 that of the E12.

https://www.rocketreviews.com/compare-motors-899249.html
With all 4 burning this likely gets off the rod or rail pretty quick!

I figured the outboard contribution would be negligible, but while total thrust of the A10s is about 1/14 that of the E, the PEAK thrust is about 1/3, and both A10 peaks a bit earlier than the E12, while weight is less than 1/10 that of the E12.

https://www.rocketreviews.com/compare-motors-899249.html
With all 4 burning this likely gets off the rod or rail pretty quick!

That concept can also be applied to get E16/F15 motors, which have a surprisingly low initial thrust peak and take a long time to get there, off the rod/rail at a safer speed.

That concept can also be applied to get E16/F15 motors, which have a surprisingly low initial thrust peak and take a long time to get there, off the rod/rail at a safer speed.
My Estes Great Goblin has flown on an F15 and two A10s. I didn't get a video of that, but here it is on its maiden flight with an E12 and two A10s off a four foot rod.

Yea, add Quest B14s Blue Thunder to the motor mount to help boost then the long burn of the F15 :D

You could also use them in a Mosquito or with an engine reducer in Scout, Streak, Sprite or other tumble recovery rockets.
Not so sure about these.

I believe these are designed to require an ejection charge, for the Mosquito to eject the motor, still comes in ballistic but with blunt nose and low weight, not a big deal. Retaining the motor will make it come in harder, proooooobaaaaably still wouldn’t hurt anything it hit although I wonder if it landed on concrete or asphalt if it would crack the nose cone. Anyway, would definitely be flying it outside design parameters. You will notice in the instructions that Estes emphasizes even the motor casing tumbles, so it doesn’t come in ballistic.

Same for tumble recovery, these have an extended motor mount so motor is loaded “forward” to position the CG AHEAD of the CP for boost and coast phases, ejection charge kicks the motor casing “back” but doesn’t eject it, shifts the CG BEHIND the CP to make it unstable, thus the tumble. Without the ejection charge, the rocket REMAINS stable and come in ballistic. This is BOTH outside design parameters and potentially hazardous to bystanders, property, and the rocket.

From another viewpoint, because these rockets have no chute or parachute, they are challenging to track to begin with (Mosquito has a reputation for transmutation to a different space time continuum at ignition, never to be found in this universe again.). Flying them with PT motors will make their return to earth faster, and make keeping an eyeball on them even harder. Lawn darting the rockets intended for tumble recovery will also make finding them more challenging even in medium short grass.

http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/estes/est0801.pdf

http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/estes/k-15.pdf

Back