Estes engines older than 50 years old

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nilo

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have 16 old Estes engines from way back late 1960's, so they are more than 50 years old.

Yesterday I decided to static ignite two of them to determine if they would ignite or CATO. To my surprise both of them ignited without any problem.

Now I'll use the remaining 14 to experiment with a rocket powered toy car, a rocket powered small boat, and a underwater launched rocket. There's a possibility that due to the age of the engines some may CATO. I'll keep an update if any do, and post it here.Meanwhile I think this is a small sample that these engines still work as long as the storage has been done correctly.

Attachments

• IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    514 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0045.jpg
    IMG_0045.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 0
I have 16 old Estes engines from way back late 1960's, so they are more than 50 years old.

Yesterday I decided to static ignite two of them to determine if they would ignite or CATO. To my surprise both of them ignited without any problem.

Now I'll use the remaining 14 to experiment with a rocket powered toy car, a rocket powered small boat, and a underwater launched rocket. There's a possibility that due to the age of the engines some may CATO. I'll keep an update if any do, and post it here.Meanwhile I think this is a small sample that these engines still work as long as the storage has been done correctly.
FWIW, I have been successfully launching a number of engines from 1985 with problems at all. And for most of that time they were not in a temperature or humidity controlled environment (by any means).
Have fun!

I have flown 50+ year old Estes motors with no issues at all. As long as they have been stored properly, they are fine.

Last December I flew an A.8-3 that was made in 1967. It worked beautifully, and being a pre-metric A, had low B total impulse. The rocket's altitude certainly showed that. https://flightsketch.com/flights/3869/

I have flown 50+ year old Estes motors with no issues at all. As long as they have been stored properly, they are fine.

Last December I flew an A.8-3 that was made in 1967. It worked beautifully, and being a pre-metric A, had low B total impulse. The rocket's altitude certainly showed that. https://flightsketch.com/flights/3869/
And mine most certainly were NOT stored properly!

If you have a club around someone would probably trade you 3 for 1 for those old motors for their collection.

I haven't flown anything that old but I have a number of motors from the 80's that I still fly without any issues. At one point I ended up with a ton of B4-6, B8-5 and B14's

The B14-5 is still one of my favorite motors and I wish they still made them. Really enjoyed them in my Big Bertha's back in the day.

I've had good success with old motors, as long as they were stored well. If they have an unknown history, I fly one in a throw-away rocket first, or a static fire.

It was almost 60 years ago and I think it was someone else's rocket, so I don't remember. Probably the booster did not glide. If I had a B14-0, I think I might clone a Black Widow and find out.
I’ve cloned TigerShark, which is I think a rebrand of the Black Widow. I don’t even think I could call the booster return “Falling with Style”:(

I don't think ANYBODY ever got the booster to glide. LOL
My clone booster glides quite well - built with Semroc parts. I've flown it about a dozen times, flies great on a B6-0 to A8-5. Have to replace the coupler every few flights, it gets pretty toasted.

Back