Who have you purchased from?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troj

Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This really isn't intended to find out who everyone's favorite LPR manufacturer, but more to get folks to think about who they buy from, and whether or not they've considered the other options that are available.

The reality is that on the low power side of the hobby, there are a number of active and responsive manufacturers beyond "the big two" (Quest & Estes) that are making some really neat products, and treating their customers well.

As I think about what I've purchased, much of mine has come from one, I've made a single purchase from another, and haven't (yet) bought from two others that come to mind. Yet all have great reputations for their products, their instructions, and their customer service.

My point (? thought?) is this... We're all better off if all of these fine folks succeed. Next time you go to purchase a kit, consider sharing the love a bit more than you might have in the past.

-Kevin

I started out scratch-building in the early 90s.

My first kit was an Estes Nike-Apache.

Fast-forward to January 2008 and my first re-entry kit was a Quest Harpoon.

Since then I've purchased from Custom, Starlight, Cygnus, K&S, Flis, Dr. Zooch, and more Estes. I received a few Semroc kits for Secret Santa this past Christmas and actually PURCHASED my first Semroc at NARCON 2 weeks ago.

Engines have been mostly Estes. I currently have almost a dozen Quest motors to burn and a starter-pack's worth of MMX. I have one Aerotech E15-4W waiting for a clear, windless day and my Big Daddy.

Now I'm launching my own line of kits and hope to bring more joy to the rocketry world.

I've gotten kits from all of the above except for Zooch (but I really want some of his kits). Additionally, I've gotten kits from Art Applewhite, Custom Rockets, BoRocks, Pratt Hobbies, ASP, and Starlight. Great kits.

I have purchased from all the above listed vendors plus a couple not listed:

BoRocks
Hot Rod Rocketry
Custom Rockets
LOC/Precision(the mini's! ;))
Pem Tech
ASP
American Alliance Rocketry

Plus I am sure a couple more I can't think of right now...

i've purchased from all of the above, and a few of the smaller companies that need support as well.

I knew I was forgetting some folks, plus the software would only let me list 7 options. Had my brain been a bit more functional, I would've left Estes & Quest off the list, as part of my goal is to encourage folks to take a look at the offerings of the folks other than "the big two".

You guys have a nice diversity -- more so than I have, that's for sure! And that's something I need to "fix" (something which, I'm sure, will just break my 5 yr old's heart as more rockets come into the house... :grin:)

-Kevin

I try to by from most.

FlisKits, Jim is in my club, I see his passion for the hobby at every launch.

Semroc, Do you have to ask. Classics updated!

PemTech

Thrustline

Starlight

All great

I have bought from everyone on the list except Sunward and Squirrel Works. I do have an unbuilt SW Callisto given by a Secret Santa two years ago.

In the "Other" category I have bought kits from

Rokitflite
Roachwerks
Sirius
The Launch Pad

Just finished up a Pem Tech Kraken, but I won that one from EMRR. Nice kit.

Obviously without the "big two" the model rocketry hobby world would likely not exist, but for me at least, without the cottage industry players I would have lost interest long ago, and the kid's college fund would be much larger :eek:. The folks behind those companies are some of the finest people I've met, period. If Jim Flis were into kites instead of rockets, I'd probably be flying a kite today. If Carl/Sheryl/Bruce (Semroc) were into needlepoint, I'd be doing that. OK, well maybe not THAT extreme, but you get the point.

Sure they make cool kits/products, but you'll want to buy from these companies because they're good people and you'll enjoy getting to know them.

Same goes for those beyond the "medium two (Flis/Semroc)" as well--Angelo/Sunward, Wes/Zooch, Art/Applewhite, Andy/ASP, Don/Squirrel works, Lane/Pem Tech, Bob/Starlight--all great folks, along with countless others not plugged yet--John Dyer/Red River, Gordon/Roachwerks, Bill/BMS, Ken/QCR, Scott/Rocketflite, etc.

Art Applewhite, TLP, LOC/Precision, Rogue, VB, Orbital Engineering, Das Modell, think that's about it for rockets that can be flown on one or more D12's (or less).

Art Applewhite
Aerospace Specialty Products
Thrustline
Apogee Components
Rokitflite
TLP
Loc

I am sure there are one or two I missed, I have purchased from all of the manufactures in the poll with the exception of Squirrel Works though I do need (maybe not need ... WANT) to get a Red Barron and Dog Fight kits.

Hawks Hobby
Launch Pad 2000
Red River Rocketry
Pratt Hobbies
QuickBurst
Balsa Machining Service

Almost all the above with the addition of Roachwerks, Pratt, LOC and PML. Every single transaction with these folks has been cordial and rewarding.

Thanks for the poll, Kevin.

I had no idea we had as many customers on TRF as this poll seems to indicate.

Thanks to all for your input.

Thanks for the poll, Kevin.

Hey, when you're good, you're good! Cain't hide excellence ;)

By very large margins, Semroc and FlisKits. :D And they are battling it out, hammer and tong, for the lead, too - who will win? (Customers like me, that's who.) If you include parts, though, then the race is over. There is simply no contest...

Following a little way back in the chase group (but charging!) are ASP and Art Applewhite (quite a few from each).

Exemplary in support: Excelsior Rocketry.

Others in the pack include ARG, Edmonds, Thrustline (recently rejoined the race after an extended absence), Venus Model Rocketry (now withdrawn) and Apogee Components (erstwhile as ever).

Oh, and back in the pack, a number of representatives from Estes and a few from Quest, too.

Rolling up to the start line, and ready to jump in any minute now: Red River (very much), Sirius, PemTech (ready to jump the gun), Mercury, Madcow, TLP, Dr. Zooch, Cosmodrome and QModeling.

And a host of others are lining up...

The purse for this race may have shrunk quite a bit recently, but it is still breaking ratings records!

MarkII

You got one vote from me because you stocked a nose cone I couldn't find anywhere else. :)

This really isn't intended to find out who everyone's favorite LPR manufacturer, but more to get folks to think about who they buy from, and whether or not they've considered the other options that are available.

The reality is that on the low power side of the hobby, there are a number of active and responsive manufacturers beyond "the big two" (Quest & Estes) that are making some really neat products, and treating their customers well.
Why are Estes and Quest combined into a single entry?

All of the above plus many, many, many more. Too many to list here.
That's what happens when you've been in the hobby a long time.
I became a BAR back in 1984. :)

Why are Estes and Quest combined into a single entry?

Polls only allow a max of 7 entries, and to be honest, I was more interested in the other manufacturers.

Had my brain been a bit more functional, to be quite honest, I would have left Quest & Estes off the list and put someone else in that spot. I've had folks list manufacturers that I own products from, and I couldn't think of their names at the time I did the poll. :rolleyes:

-Kevin

I neglected to check Estes and Quest when adding my vote to the poll.

Also purchased Starlight kits from the LHS and parts from many manufacturers through BRS Hobbies.

Here's my first post since re-registering after the TRF crash.

I just bought a low-power cluster rocket from Quasar One. It looks like a good way to learn about clustering before trying it on larger rockets. So far I'm impressed with the quality of materials, packaging, and directions.

I'm also impressed with my purchases from Dr. Zooch, Flis kits, and Semroc.

In addition to Quest, Estes, Aerotech, Dr. Zooch, Semroc, and Custom--I have also purchased from Cosmodrome, Pratt, TLP, Madcow, Shrox, Apogee/Dynastar, Edmonds Aerospace, and Scalekits.

For LPR, I've purchased mainly from Flis and Apogee, with some from Squirrel Works as well. In all cases, the service has been nothing short of exceptional, and I have so many small free gifts floating around my house from flis and apogee that I'm not sure how they ever manage to make a profit. I have nothing but good things to say about any of them.

Last edited:
I must say... I'm very impressed by the diversity of manufacturers that have been supported!

-Kevin

I haven't gotten BoRocks yet from the previous postings. Other than that, I would add:

Aerotech, American Alliance, Apogee, Advanced Rocketry Corporation, Advanced Rocketry Group, Art Applewhite, ASP, BMS, Binder Designs, Canaroc, Centuri, Cosmodrome, Custom, Cygnus, Dr. Zooch Dynastar, Edmonds, First Flight, Fliskits, FSI, Hawks Hobby, Holverson Designs, HotRod, InFlight, K&S, The Launch Pad, Leading Edge, LOC, Madcow, Mercury Engineering, Millford, Model Minutes, MPC, MRC, Noris, Northcoast, Obital Engineering, Pemberton Technologies, Peter Alway, Public Missiles, QModeling, Red River, Roachworks, Rokitflite, Roto0Rocket, Semroc, Sheri's Hot Rockets, Sirius, Sky, Squirrel Works, Starlight, Sunward, Thrustline, Vincent Hobbies and West Coast Rocketry.

Of those that are still in business, I have to say that all of them have treated me well. Of those that are OOP, they treated me well in their day or Danny Sagstetter has done so in their stead now.

There are a few out there I have not tried...but I will.

All in all, the people workign in this business are great and I am happy to be not only a customer but a satisfied customer who longs for more and whose wife runs more slowly than I do!

Last edited:
Flis, TLP, Heavenly Hobbies. A Dogfight from SW is on my wish list.

I haven't gotten BoRocks yet from the previous postings. Other than that, I would add:

Aerotech, American Alliance, Apogee, Advanced Rocketry Corporation, Advanced Rocketry Group, Art Applewhite, ASP, BMS, Binder Designs, Canaroc, Centuri, Cosmodrome, Custom, Cygnus, Dr. Zooch Dynastar, Edmonds, First Flight, Fliskits, FSI, Hawks Hobby, Holverson Designs, [etc., etc.]...
What, no Coaster? No RDC? :confused: And say it ain't so... no MMI? :eek:

John, I'm disappointed... :rolleyes:

:D

MarkII

P.S.: You didn't mention your Carlisle Rock-A-Chute, either. You DO have one of those too, don't you? ;)

Last edited:
What, no Coaster? No RDC? :confused: And say it ain't so... no MMI? :eek:

John, I'm disappointed... :rolleyes:

:D

MarkII

P.S.: You didn't mention your Carlisle Rock-A-Chute, either. You DO have one of those too, don't you? ;)

I'm the one who is disappointed...but wifey is not.

Back