Whiplash build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To add to that, know what your rocket is likely to land on. My club flys at a sod farm, with several irrigation ditches on the field, which means that water landings occur from time to time. In the east and midwest, clubs tend to fly in grassy areas and farm fields, which tend to provide soft landing zones. Out west, many clubs fly in desert regions, with bare soil that is well packed and rocky. People flying in those areasoften use larger chutes to soften the landings. Moral of the story: know your field, and select and configure your rocket accordingly.

What should you do if there are lots of cow pies in your field? :lol:

I think that this kid is pulling the wool over everyones eyes. He is using a sale to get a fiberglass rocket excuse and get a novice LOC kit under the pretense that he will build it first and fly it a bunch then build the fiberglass kit. First, I am not sure if he has ever flown a rocket that he has built himself. Any question regarding his flight record has been ignored. He started a thread about going to his first launch but there was never any follow up on that adventure. From my point of view he is manipulating people to get what he wants and he is succeding. I am saying to give up and walk away, let his parents and mentor take over. I am by no means saying that he should stop pursuing this hobby and building and flying to his limits. But, when you read through some of his threads and see the advice and help that so many have given, only to fall on deaf ears unless it is the answer he wants to hear, then it is time to stop.

I think that this kid is pulling the wool over everyones eyes. He is using a sale to get a fiberglass rocket excuse and get a novice LOC kit under the pretense that he will build it first and fly it a bunch then build the fiberglass kit. First, I am not sure if he has ever flown a rocket that he has built himself. Any question regarding his flight record has been ignored. He started a thread about going to his first launch but there was never any follow up on that adventure. From my point of view he is manipulating people to get what he wants and he is succeding. I am saying to give up and walk away, let his parents and mentor take over. I am by no means saying that he should stop pursuing this hobby and building and flying to his limits. But, when you read through some of his threads and see the advice and help that so many have given, only to fall on deaf ears unless it is the answer he wants to hear, then it is time to stop.

Well said. This is how I'm feeling about this.

He used to have the number of each motor type (a fair number of A-E motors) in his signature, but as I recall, certain individuals with attitudes similar to your own complained about his signature being too long. So, he removed all that, and now other individuals are making assumptions. I'm not going to get into an argument over this, but I felt compelled to point out that he most certainly has flown plenty of rockets; probably at least as many, and in the same impulse range, as I've flown this year.

BB posted a pic of a pretty broad assortment of estes style rockets in his original build thread. I have no reason to doubt he flew the vast majority or all of them.

I don't think it's unreasonable for him to move on to E/F/G powered rockets.

Kevin has a very good point that cardboard rockets teach you good skills, that will stick with you for life. Fiberglass rockets are nigh on indestructible when flown with F and G motors... but at the cost of weight / performance.

Lets keep in mind his next rocket is hopefully one of many... whether it be cardboard or fiberglass... that does not mean future rockets will be one or the other.

BB has come a long way from the scratch HPR DD to a sensible project. If he wants it to be a FG,... and he likes the Dark Star,... go for a darkstar mini. that'll fly like snot on F's and G's all day long. It's cheap too...

Are we all so removed from being 13 when we all dreamed for something cool? BB's come a long way,... lets not lose him by being too rigid in what we think is best. So what if he builds this one out of F-glass...

The various kits listed are good choices and would work well in teaching you the basics and give you a lot of enjoyment. However, you have a partly completed rocket that while it is not suitable for its initial design goal, could be made into a perfectly usable rocket right now. Take the sustainer and correct the design and construction errors (recessed motor mount, gluing over paint, etc) and fly it midpower with motor ejection. You can never have too many rockets. In the future when high power techniques and electronics have been mastered a two stage high power project can be revisited.

Kevin has a very good point that cardboard rockets teach you good skills, that will stick with you for life. Fiberglass rockets are nigh on indestructible when flown with F and G motors... but at the cost of weight / performance.

Lets keep in mind his next rocket is hopefully one of many... whether it be cardboard or fiberglass... that does not mean future rockets will be one or the other.
BB, keep in mind that cardboard rockets can take more abuse than you'd think. Back in July, another member of my club launched a LOC Athena 3, which drifted into the parking area, bounced off of the club's gear trailer, and crashed through my rear windshield. The rocket survived, and was flown again shortly afterward.
Are we all so removed from being 13 when we all dreamed for something cool? BB's come a long way,... lets not lose him by being too rigid in what we think is best. So what if he builds this one out of F-glass...

Well put. I'm 24, and at his age, was in a similar position (expensive hobby, little money, can't drive, parents not much help, etc.). In most cases, I can understand why he's doing what he's doing, even if I don't agree with it. His fin beveling thread, for example, he was reluctant to try beveling fins freehanded for fear of wasting material. For someone in his position, completly understandable IMO.

In the beginning, Matt scared the HELL out of me...some of the things he was saying, even for a youngster, were obviously dangerous and ill advised from a building and flying standpoint.

HOWEVER...

I have seen real improvement in his ability to rationalize comments and suggestions from the TRF crew as well as his ability to really slip in a well thought out zing on the occasional unsuspecting individual. Despite all the negativism (some from me...), he has kept his composure and stayed true to his passion for the sport (regardless of how many rockets he has/hasn't flown).

I am comfortable with his last plan...to purchase an appropriate kit, follow both the directions and the tips from the TRF'ers who want to see him succeed, and get some reps in with MPR...

I remember when Matt's first plan was to build a Minimum Diameter 2 stage K805G to C6.
Our little blackbrandt is growing up!

Alex

I remember when Matt's first plan was to build a Minimum Diameter 2 stage K805G to C6.
Our little blackbrandt is growing up!

Alex

one day he will know how to build this....(i have been doing this since 1967 and it still eludes me....K675 Firestarter) K 675 FS RMS.jpg

Back