Which DSLR Camera: Canon T3i or Nikon D5100?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best for Rocketry: LPR/MPR Park launching: T3i or D5100?

• I have experience with the T3i and think it's a good choice

• I have experience with the D5100 and think it's a good choice

• I have experience with both and think they are equivalent for this application

• You're making a huge mistake! I'll comment in the Tips thread!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Marc_G

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
OK guys,

This is going to be the biggest rocketry-related investment I've made since becoming a BAR. I've gotten the go-ahead from my wife to stretch the camera budget from a higher end point and shoot up to an entry-level DLSR. I had thought it would be kind of a hard sell :bangpan: but my darling wife was very cool about it.

Over in the Galleries, Photo & Video Editing Tips section, I have an ongoing thread about the selection process. Click here to review it if interested. Probably a lot of folks don't even know that subforum, recently created, exists!

Anyway, I'm pretty much set on going the DLSR route, and let's face it, this isn't to snap better pictures of my kids. I want to get good pics of the rockets as they leave the pad, stage (if I'm lucky!), and return to Earth. After much research (and pulling of hair, and gnashing of teeth), I'm pretty settled on it being either the Canon T3i or the Nikon D5100. Cost differential between the two is not significant in this decision.

I've read reviews online, gotten input from several knowlegeable folks over in that subforum, and now as a final step I'm seeking first hand user input here. I figure this forum has more readership than the Galleries subsection on tips.

My application is generally solo launching at the park for LPR/lite MPR purposes.

I'm going to make it a short-burn poll, as I will probably buy one or the other in the next couple days. I'm purposefully keeping the responses tightly focused. Other discussion can go in the thread I started.

Request: I'm asking you to vote here, but please put all discussion over in the thread I referenced above.

Thanks all!

Marc

Last edited:
canon vs nikon - that can be as bad as ford vs chevy - both are good - I would just go on price unless you have friends who have either nikon or canon & would let you borrow lenses

This is the one I have:
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta55

The Sony Alpha A55.
Despite the brand, it's a great camera. Perfect for liftoff photos. It shoots faster then most DSLRs at 10Fps and is 16.2MP. Ive gotten some great liftoff shots with it so far at hellfire 17
7718885282_1806626126_b.jpg

Alex

I'll tell you right now that there are two big components to an SLR, the camera and the lens. Look at the various lenses being offered for the cameras before you make a decision. You need a good lens or you are wasting your money getting a good camera. I have been a Canon user for years and really like their stuff, but I have no expeirence with Nikon. As SteveF has said both Canon and Nikon make good stuff. However, some stuff is better than others from both Canon and Nikon. Generally, you pay for what you get. A cheap lens is usually a mediocre lens; although I have one really cheap Canon lens (about $100) that is excellent. There are websites you can go to do research on lenses. I'll say it again. a good piece of glass is just as important as the camera. I avoid third party lenses like the plague, although if you do your research you can find good ones. You also need to consider how close you will be to the rocket when you shoot it. You need some telephoto capability unless you are right on top of it.

An important thing to consider for liftoff shots is shutter speed. You want a camera that can shoot at least at a 1/1000 of a second; 1/1500 or 1/2000 would be better.

You might want to join the Canon users forum and ask about the rocket photography capabilities of the camera you are interested in. Nikon probably has a forum too, so join and ask questions.

I'll preface this by saying I’m a long time Canon user. As such, I’m not super familiar with Nikons, and with the number of Canon lenses and accessories I have I highly doubt I would ever switch. If you’re going to use either DSLR as a big point and shoot neither will give satisfactory results. But if you’re willing to learn either the T3i or the D5100 should provide satisfactory results. But I don’t think current generation of Canon DSLRs including T3i is as well suited to action/sports style photography as the current generation of Nikon DSLRs including the D5100 is. And action/sports photography is what shooting rocket photos is.

A good action/sports photography camera will have instant reaction to the shutter release, fast shutter speeds, a high fps rate, FAST lenses, and a killer autofocus system. The place the most of the current generation of Canon cameras falls down is on their autofocus system. Other than the EOS-1DC and the EOS-5D Mk III most of the current crop of Canon DSLRs have had issues with the autofocus system hunting on moving subjects. With my 60D I have photos were the first frame is in focus, then the next 2 focus on the background, the next 1 on the smoke, and the last one finally on the rocket again. And this is with the autofocus zones narrowed down to the flight path of the rocket. It is bad enough that I no longer bring the 60D to the field, but bring my 20D backup body instead. It doesn’t have the megapixels (8.2 vs. 18.1) or frame rate of the 60D nor the number of autofocus points (21 vs. 63) but it will follow and focus on the rocket as it takes off. Nikon has done a much better job on the autofocus in their current generation of DSLRs from everything I’ve read.

The other thing to consider is what glass (lenses) you will need. One nice thing with Canon is that there is a cheap killer lens in the 50mm f/1.8 prime lens. B&H sells them for about $120. Slightly stepping down the aperture will yield results similar to lenses costing 10x as much. On a crop camera like the 60D or T3i this equivalent to a 80mm lens, a mild telephoto. This is about right for shooting low power rockets in a park. I’m not aware of an equivalent lens for the Nikon.

That said, if I didn’t have so much invested in Canon equipment I would seriously consider the Nikon over the Canon at this point in time. You might also want to consider a micro 4/3s or mirror-less interchangeable lens camera, as these are getting pretty good, and have virtually all the control and speed as a DSLR at a slightly lower price point.

BTW, if you want a really good source for camera techniques, go to https://www.learn.usa.canon.com/ This is Canon’s learning center, and while some of the tutorials are specific to a Canon camera, most are not and give good information on how to setup and use your DSLR. https://www.dpreview.com/ and https://www.fredmiranda.com/ are also good sites to learn more about the cameras.

Here is the Canon users forum I mentioned earlier. It is run by users, not by Canon. https://photography-on-the.net/forum/ You might be able to search the forum for a thread similar to what you need. However, I have found asking specific questions works well.

Another great resource is Ken Rockwell. He is a VERY experienced user that gives honest reviews of all types of camera equipment. https://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm

tonka gave you the details on the cheap Canon lens I was thinking about. It is the 50mm, 1.8 Mark II. One warning; it has a plastic lens barrel so it will not stand up to abuse. However, the optics are ridicously good for a such an inexpensive lens.

The build quality of the Canon 50mm f\1.8 leaves a bit to be desired, but it is so cheap that I don't mind trashing it. The same cannot be said for my L glass.

Canon lenses are superb and the control system is extremely intuitive. Go Canon IMO.
cheers
fred

I have a Canon 30D and 7D. I love them. The ultrasonic focus and image stabilization are unbeatable. I am thinking about upgrading my lense to a Pro 70-200mm Zoom with a low f stop. It shoots video and photos and will do an 18 meg photo at 8 shot per second. 8 f/s is enough to capture even vmax.

I am a Nikon guy myself, but here is my take on it. Both Canon and Nikon make great equipment and you will get a perfectly serviceable system for your needs with either. What it really came down to for me when I bought in to the Nikon system, was the way the controls and menus are laid out. The Nikon way of doing things was more natural for me, so I went with them. I would strongly recommend visiting a proper camera store if possible and give both systems a good test drive to see which suits you better. Also I would stay away from mirrorless cameras for now, from my research, their hybrid AF systems aren't quite up to snuff for action photography yet. Whatever you decide, really take the time to learn your equipment and its strengths and weaknesses and how to set it for the types of shooting you want to do. Hope this helps.

2x for Ken Rockwell. https://kenrockwell.com/ He leans towards Nikon but also has fair reviews of Canon. Keep in mind that you are buying into a lens system rather than a specific body. The lenses will outlive the body many times over.

Interesting comment about the hunting on the auto-focus, as with my 20D, I don't have that problem. I select a single auto-focus point, place it on the base on the rocket, then hold it in focus lock.

In regards to picking Canon versus Nikon, the difference isn't that significant. The real investment is going to be in the lenses, anyway -- I can do things with a 70-200 f/2.8 at the field that I cannot do with my 55-200 f/4-5.5. Glass matters. Bigtime.

-Kevin

And it should be mentioned that a lens made for a Canon camera will not work on a Nikon and vice versa. Also, lenses made for film cameras probably won't work on a digital camera. If they do, you will probably lose a lot of functionality like auto focus.

If your budget allows, I would get a better lens and an OK camera. As many have said, the lens will outlive the camera.

By the way, Marc_G almost cost me $3,500. When I looked for the Ken Rockwell site I stumbled on the Canon 5D Mark III review he made. HOLY SHUTTER SPEED BATMAN!!! What a nice camera. The camera autocorrects for defects in the lens optics. I use a photo correction program from DXO to do that now. It is amazing what a difference it makes even with a really good camera and a really good lens.

I have been using Canon gear for a long time. I have 3 DSLRs, 20D, 60D, and 5D Mark II. I use them for primarily 2 things, shooting racecars and rockets. I have not had an opportunity to use the 60D at a launch yet but will be testing it at this fall's Red Glare. I have no reason to believe it will not work well as my racing shots have been great so far. Several folks have mentioned the lenses and I agree, get the best glass you can afford. Don't be afraid of 3rd party lenses like Tamron and Sigma, they make a good product and can be less expensive than those made by Canon. I have no experience with Nikon and cannot comment on them other than to say they are also excellent gear.

I was a pro and shot 6x6 for many years. There are some things to look at that are beyond the name, both Cannon and Nikon are great cameras, but some of the things they can do are really cool and necessary were not always listed in the reviews. They may not be important to you at all, but the features way down in the menus need to be looked at before you decide.

High frame rates are standard on both as well as high shutter speed and auto focus lock and mirror lock up and a big buffer for continuous shooting.

Alway press the shutter button at T-2 and you will catch the lift off, it makes a lot of pics of the rocket just sitting but when the action starts your 1/1000th of a second separation pics are very cool.

A good Tripod is also a good investment Bogen are real good and functional.

Alway press the shutter button at T-2 and you will catch the lift off, it makes a lot of pics of the rocket just sitting but when the action starts your 1/1000th of a second separation pics are very cool.
I wish my camera could shoot 1000 fps to get that 1/1000 separation. :wink: And I usually press the release at T-1, our LCOs will too often do things like "Launching in 3, 2, oh I forgot to select the pad, 1, 0" resulting in 12 frames of the rocket sitting on the pad and 1 of the rocket half after the shooting speed slowing when the buffer fills up.

Get both of these cameras and fiddle with the controls and how they fit in your hands. There may be a feature or two that one has and the doesn't have that you might want. I have a Nikon D300 and my friend has a Canon equivalent but I don't like the layout of the canon buttons and menus and the same is for my friend when was checking out my camera. It really becomes personal preference.

Back