Where to get ematches?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just ordered 80 Firewire "Initiators" from MJG. Question for Mr. Electricmatch: You also have a product called "Composite Rocket Starter". Not clear what the difference is. I assume that the Firewires can be fired with a 9V battery and the Starters require 12V. Is that correct?

firewire requires just less than a volt to fire, and is a quick flame. used for altimiters, and any motor that they fit in, that has black powder, they will work for.

we have found composite motors are harder to light. so the red hot, and composite starters require 12 volts to fire, but as long as you keep the voltage applied, they will continue to burn(up to about 6 seconds) and light the harder to light motors.

The biggest problem for me with the Firewires is the length. I cut mine down to about 4 inches for use in charge wells. Just needs to get from the terminal block to the well. I like the Bilusocn because you can get them in one foot lengths. With the Firewires, I'd have to throw away almost three feet of copper every time I use one.

11-12-2018- we are testing the market, and have 1 foot now available at .60 each. I don't see us going smaller than that, so you still would have to cut them, but at least it's saving you some money. electricmatch.com/pyrotechnics/see/6/5/mjg-firewire-initiator

This site is not categorized and blocked at work. Is there info on the About page or the Contact page that indicates anything that might make them look legitimate?

If the site is blocked at work, use your smartphone or install a VPN...

Another note...If you need initiators for dual deploy electronics a cheap way is to use Christmas light bulbs (incandescent). they also come with the nifty handy re-usable socket plug. simply wrap about two or three wraps of scotch tape around the glass bulb, then carefully break the tip off the bulb with needlenose pliers. Voila! instant exposed bridge wire (The filament) fill the bulb with xxx, or xxxx black powder, tape it over. It is enough powder for a rocket payload up to bt55 by itself, put it in your little canister with more black powder for larger model rockets or high power. your bet bet is to buy a couple of strings on December 26 when they go on sale dirt cheap. (NOT for ignition of motors!!!)

Another note...If you need initiators for dual deploy electronics a cheap way is to use Christmas light bulbs (incandescent). they also come with the nifty handy re-usable socket plug. simply wrap about two or three wraps of scotch tape around the glass bulb, then carefully break the tip off the bulb with needlenose pliers. Voila! instant exposed bridge wire (The filament) fill the bulb with xxx, or xxxx black powder, tape it over. It is enough powder for a rocket payload up to bt55 by itself, put it in your little canister with more black powder for larger model rockets or high power. your bet bet is to buy a couple of strings on December 26 when they go on sale dirt cheap. (NOT for ignition of motors!!!)

I wonder if this might work for 98mm rocket motors. Hmm experiment on my test pad coming?

In the last 3 years I've seen more failures from christmas and flash bulb deployment charges than all other types, including motor eject, put together.

If you've perfected a technique that's foolproof, I suggest that you do a tutorial because the secrets to that success are either not well known or not well practiced.

In contrast, just about anyone can purchase a $1 ematch and have a reasonably high assurance of success each and every time.

In the last 3 years I've seen more failures from christmas and flash bulb deployment charges than all other types, including motor eject, put together.

If you've perfected a technique that's foolproof, I suggest that you do a tutorial because the secrets to that success are either not well known or not well practiced.

In contrast, just about anyone can purchase a $1 ematch and have a reasonably high assurance of success each and every time.

I'm not going to be risking my rockets that took months and as much as $2000 to build by firing deployment charges with broken Christmas tree light bulbs.

I'm not going to be risking my rockets that took months and as much as $2000 to build by firing deployment charges with broken Christmas tree light bulbs.

I agree 110%. Less than 1/4 of them that I've seen launched have worked, even when they're done with redundancy. I'd rather spend the $1 on an ematch than explain why I put an 8 pound fiberglass dart through somone's house, car, or their person.

Maybe that's the way it used to be done, but there are more reliable systems.

I wonder if this might work for 98mm rocket motors. Hmm experiment on my test pad coming?

I wouldn't use black powder for trying to light a 98mm motor, however it could start up something else, like a packet of thermite, and BKN03 pellets...

Black powder burns too fast and I am sure the glass would be terrible for the nozzle. As soon as I thought about it, I knew I had to repost, but you beat me to it.

I wouldn't use black powder for trying to light a 98mm motor, however it could start up something else, like a packet of thermite, and BKN03 pellets...

I've always wondered if you could use an Estes motor to light a AP large motor. (You'd have to mount it into a customer forward closure, so it may an unnecessarily expensive solution.) But in essence a BP motor is a "pellet" with a 0.5-1.0 second burn time that could easily be lit with an e-match.

I've always wondered if you could use an Estes motor to light a AP large motor. (You'd have to mount it into a customer forward closure, so it may an unnecessarily expensive solution.) But in essence a BP motor is a "pellet" with a 0.5-1.0 second burn time that could easily be lit with an e-match.

Soooo what would the point of that be? I'm sure it could be done I'm just trying to wrap my head around the why part.

I've had the same thought but even with 13mm Estes motors, you're stuck with a hard paper casing inside the motor that is just ripe for it to either restrict the nozzle or block it entirely and then you have an over-pressure event. You'd need something that burned away nearly completely.

It's worse than that. If we want to get silly, we could hypothesize making a rolled paper case for a BP motor out of flashpaper, but what about the clay nozzle? There's (I assume) no such thing as flashclay. And the notion is pretty darn silly.

I remember guys playing around with starting M motors with Estes A motors.(late 90's) Space Ship one used a J350 (like motor) to get it going. And the A_F guys used a J350 to lite their van.

Tony

Last year's record-breaking Mercury Redstone launch used a Q motor, which was lit by an igniter with the equivalent mass of an I motor. The joke on the field was, "What do you ignite a Q motor with?" "An I motor."

I just received my shipment of the firewire initiators and look forward to using them. They shipped quickly and look like they will work well. So far I am very pleased with the purchase.

Back