Where do you buy your engines?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich56

Reaction score
After many years I’m getting back into model rocketry. I built a Hi Flier and Honest John (both big size). I’d be looking for D, E and F engines. I like to do business with Hobby Lobby but live pretty far from them. Does anybody buy engines mail order? If so from where? I’ll be launching from Palm Beach Florida area.
Is there a hazardous duty fee?

It's hard to beat buyrocketmotors.com for mail order for motors in that size range. There are a few motors that have hazmat fees, but they're fairly easy to avoid if you want.

For Estes BP motors, anything E12 or bigger requires a hazmat shipping fee.

For composite motors, it depends. I'm pretty sure all composite motors up to E do not require hazmat fees. Some F's do require it and some don't.

buyrocketmotors.com for Aerotech and Quest composites
acsupplyco.com for Estes BP.

After many years I’m getting back into model rocketry. I built a Hi Flier and Honest John (both big size). I’d be looking for D, E and F engines. I like to do business with Hobby Lobby but live pretty far from them. Does anybody buy engines mail order? If so from where? I’ll be launching from Palm Beach Florida area.
AC Supply (acsupplyco.com) is a good place for Estes BP motors. As mentioned above, Es and Fs will incur Hazmat fees, which is why I don't mail order them. Note that Estes 29mm E and F motors are also extremely hard to come by right now, because they've been out of production while Estes retools. They are supposed to go back into production soon.

However, there are many good composite options from Aerotech that do *not* require Hazmat. At 24mm, there's the E15/E20 (same motor under two names, one of my favorites), the E30, and the F44. Those will all work well in 29 mm rockets as well, with an adaptor. There are lots of 29 mm motors that are non-hazmat, but you have to pay attention to what you're buying because many of them *do* require hazmat. Best bang for your buck is the F67.

Single-use composites are just as easy to use as BP motors; the biggest difference is the igniter insertion is a slightly different procedure. Don't hesitate to try them. I usually buy mine from Balsa Machining but there are loads of good vendors. The aforementioned buyrocketmotors.com is certainly a good one.

Just a question. Do you attend local launches and do they have any vendor at those launches?

I’d be looking for D, E and F engines. [...] Does anybody buy engines mail order? If so from where?

For Estes black-powder engines, it's hard to beat 40% off all-the-time deals from ACsupply:
https://www.acsupplyco.com/estes-model-rockets/model-rocket-engines/estes-e-engines-24mm

Yes, for the larger motors that exceed some predetermined USPS black-powder shipping weight. That may, or may not be 30gms, but the list of HazMat motors can be found here:
https://www.balsamachining.com/#
Just a question. Do you attend local launches and do they have any vendor at those launches?

BTW, if there is a vendor, he will likely be the most expensive source of rocket motors around. ;-(.
Thus, you are still better off buying mail-order all non-HazMat motors, and picking up HazMat stuff from HobbyLobby (or grouping together one large HazMat mail-order that will last you a year).

I buy mine at the local launches, and guys, im all for saving some money, but giving our vendors money that they use to pay even the phone bill only supports yourself and this hobby.. look at the small local hobby stores...cheap skate people trying to save 50 cents are the reason the small shops are closed and why you can't walk in and buy motors.. now your giving the money to UPS and FEDEX... well done. 😡

I buy mine at the local launches, and guys, im all for saving some money, but giving our vendors money that they use to pay even the phone bill only supports yourself and this hobby.. look at the small local hobby stores...cheap skate people trying to save 50 cents are the reason the small shops are closed and why you can't walk in and buy motors.. now your giving the money to UPS and FEDEX... well done

Yesterday at 11:26 PM
The store I used to manage closed as a direct result of customers buying there merchandise online. (even from my own company) which took sales away from the store. 14 of us lost our jobs. If you can buy local I encourge it.

Back when Heavenly Hobbies used to be at our launches, I happily bought stuff from him there. I really miss that. Nowadays, with no on-site vendor, I have no choice but mail order for almost everything.

For hobby reloads, I don’t think you could find lower prices than at Hobbylinc. BuyRocketMotors is also a fast and reliable source, though I haven’t priced their hobby motors (E F G).

I will check out local launch sights in Vero Beach and Palm beach county when I get there. Yes giving local business some sales is a plan too.
I just found out my local NJ site has a altitude limit so I will check the Florida sites before buying E and F engines.
Thanks Gents

I'll second ACSupply for Estes Rockets and Motors. Prices can't be beat.

I've bought a bunch from Balsa Machine as well and his prices are great for Aerotech stuff but selection is limited. At least for motors I use.

Sirius Rocketry has a good selection at decent but not great prices but their service is AWESOME. I'll pay a little more to get my stuff handled quickly and correctly.

Rick & I started F.S.A. back in the mid-1980's . . . It was great, right from the start, and I'm glad to hear that is still true !

Dave F.

Back