When is the Starship orbital launch?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool so far. I’m surprised how much venting there is off Starship. Everyday Astronaut thinks the payload bay door is stuck open.

EDIT: Sounds like he is wrong about the door.

Looks like Starship may be tumbling, judging from the video.
Edit: camera is on the end of a flap, never mind.
Nah, you were right, pretty clearly looked like it was tumbling, more so as heating started in earnest.
Early in re-entry saw what looked like foam bits flying off.

Nah, you were right, pretty clearly looked like it was tumbling, more so as heating started in earnest.
Early in re-entry saw what looked like foam bits flying off.
I was wondering about that, but there's no foam at all on the vehicle IIRC. So - what... didn't look like heat tiles. Wouldn't be ice by then, right?

A lot of tiles came off, but the ship is stainless, so likely survived.... the camera melted. Oh wait, they lost telemetry

Yeah, looks like it broke up upon reentry.
Wonder if there was some hardware damage from the hot staging again?
That would explain the venting and tumbling.

I did notice that as Starship was re-entering the atmosphere and just before telemetry was lost, that there were several large chunks of material being expelled. I' guessing those may have been chunks of the heat tiles.
Not sure if they were tiles themselves or the ceramic backup material from already lost tiles. It can't be frost material since there is no air or water vapour in space. Still - it all looked very white.

Which reminds me, white = meringue = pie. Its PI Day. I need to partake; I going to head out to my local bakery right now.

Edit: I'm back. I got the Saskatoon Berry pie instead of Lemon Meringue to celebrate. Yummy!

Last edited:
Since the relight test didn't work, it's likely they couldn't rely on any reentry burns. To keep within the designated safe zone, I'm assuming there was a self-destruct. Without the reentry burn, it exceeded the speed of the tiles and the structure after that.

Back