What's your "Star Trek Number"? (Loosely based on "Bacon Number")

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
met and talked with Mae Jemison after a presntiaton she gave. First Black Female Astronaut and TNG Guest Star!

Not sure if doing cover art for Simon & Schuster Star Trek novels counts as anything? Or doing art for the original TNG Tech Manual (FASA)?

I'm friends with a number of folks who've worked as production crew on the various series in model making, set construction, and concept design. One of them managed the original early 90's restoration of the Smithsonian's Enterprise.

I met Colm Meaney once at a shop in town. He was here (Western Mass.) visiting family.

So I dunno how this works and what kind of numbers that scores. I flunked Bacon Math in H.S. I didn't mention the various Trek personalities I've met at cons as that wouldn't seem to count for much.... but again. Bacon Math dropout....

My vote would be that actually getting paid to do something in the Trek-iverse should give you a Trek-number of 1.

I met George Takei at a book signing. And I've met Whoopie Goldberg.

Not sure if doing cover art for Simon & Schuster Star Trek novels counts as anything? Or doing art for the original TNG Tech Manual (FASA)?

My vote would be that actually getting paid to do something in the Trek-iverse should give you a Trek-number of 1.

Kevin Bacon himself has a Bacon Score of 0. Hence, anyone working in Star Trek, both in front of the camera, and behind it, would have a Star Trek Score of 0 - right? 0 being better than 1.

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing mine is two. I was in the presence of many astronauts when I worked at space camp in 2008, and it seems likely to me that at least one of them knew Mae Jemison.

The Davidson Center where they moved their Saturn V had just been completed and they threw a big 50th anniversary of NASA shindig right after my training period was complete. I ended up as a doorman gawking with awe (hopefully not too much) as Buzz Aldrin, Michael Collins, Dick Gordon, Charlie Duke, and others walked in past me.

I also shook hands with Story Musgrave and Georg von Tiesenhausen, the last of the rocketmen that came over from Germany with von Braun. Von Tiesenhausen was also a big fan of Arthur C Clarke and we chatted about his books a little bit. That was fun.

Dang that was a great job. Pay sucked though.

Back