What's your most expedient, rat rocket you've ever made,

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knuckledragger

TLAR Engineering hack
Reaction score
something you threw together without concern for spirals, fillets, or colors just so you could fly the bejeezus out of it?

Last edited:
3"/38mm scratch built from whatever I could scrape up immediately to feed my building jones. Centering rings from 3/8" plywood, 1 length of LOC body tube. NC, chute, etc borrowed from another rocket. Divided my only piece of fin stock into thirds, used a straight edge to make roots, then shaped what was leftover and cut it. Homely in all white, but it's the only rattle can I had. The maiden flight on I300T alleviated any concern about it's worthiness. Instantly became my favorite flier.

Well-deserved upgrades and changes followed, including it's very own nose cone, parachute and black paint. This is the only picture I can find, on J350W in DD mode.

Floyd on J350 June 1998.jpg

My level 2 rocket.
Was at LDRS at Black Rock, first day a L2 cert flight could be done, the motor on first attempt was a single use J125 that ejected right at burnout. I had to do the flight on that day, doing it on the second day would be not as good.
So I needed another. In the motor box I had a K125 single use 98. 20 second burn.
I bought from PML a 4” Patriot with a 29mm mount, glued the fins so they didn’t protrude inside airframe tube so the motor would fit, with the fin tabs they stuck way out. We did a quick estimate on CP and added weight to nose using dirt and epoxy.
It was an ugly spud.
I launched it 45 minutes after first attempt shredded.

M

My L2. I haven't been able to fly much these last couple of years, but I was at the UPS store and they had these 3in mailing tubes.... so I woodglued a tubefin, added a strap from one of the boys' old carseats, stuck in a Big Daddy nosecone, then drove straight to LDRS.

Last edited:
I slapped together some 13mm MD rockets for my kid and I to paint together after he inadvertantly crushed a rocket I had put more effort into.

Basically I wanted something he could play with, leftover fin cans and scrap parts made for a pair of 20 minute builds.

One was crushed after flight #1. It's half bent but still flies straight!

IMG_20190815_232442771.jpg
The middle rocket is the first mpr I built in 2017 as a BAR. Its named "Recon 1 1/2", its first flight was not stable but landed. I have sense made the canards much smaller and added a short piece of body tube and nose cone over the conical cone. The booster started life as a Estes snap shot camera rocket. The fins have broken off and glued back on a lot. I had issues with the recovery gear but after 17 flights ranging from a 18mm c6-3 to a econojet F44w-8 it's a nice straight fling rocket and my go to test flight for launching at local parks.

IMG_20190901_204226329.jpg
On the left a MD single use c6-7 with a golf tee nose cone and steel fishing line recovery harness/tumble recovery. If flew great at the HP launch to 1200-1400'. OR simed to 1650'. I should have brought a golf ball for the recovery shot.

20200817_092703.jpg

Last edited:
I had a box of miscellaneous parts that I'd bought en mass from someone leaving the hobby. It sincluded some parts I didn't think I'd use, like a one piece molded plastic fin can, motor mount, and engine retainer (18 mm) for BT-60, and a nose cone with a ribbed shoulder that was really a little too big for a BT-60. Then one day I needed something to test a home made propellant, so I took a full length of BT-60; sanded down the ribs on the nose cone, and it still was a really tight fit so I glued it in; cut the tube below the cone and installed coupler; glued in the fin can; added a shock cord by the tri-fold on both ends; and a parachute. I gave it a shot and the motor was a complete failure. It burned nicely but generated no thrust to speak of, and the rocket never even moved.

Later I gave it a paint job with no filling anything. It's still yet to fly. It's name is "Dispensable".

Pictures later.

Back