• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

What's your favorite body tube diameter?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketryBen

Reaction score
This is kinda a runoff from the other thread, but this is slightly different.

What's your favorite body tube diameter?
24mm
29mm [1.1 inches]
38mm [1.6 inches]
54mm [2.2 inches]
2.56 inches
75mm [3 inches]
98mm [4 inches]

I'm just looking to see what people think.

This is just a fun thread to see what the most favorite body tube diameter is.
My favorite is 2.2 inches, easy to work with, not too big, not too small. I like it, anything between a E-J motors work great for it.

What do you think?

I like 38mm/BT-60. 18mm is nice and low, 24mm is plenty of altitude without too much stress, and 29mm is just insane.

I don’t have a strong favorite, but if I could only have one rocket at a time, the first one I’d build would be four inch diameter with a 75 mm motor mount and two adapters, to 54 and 38.

BT-55 (33mm) for its rigidity, BT-70 (56mm) because it's just a nice diameter to work with.

I really want the 15" Polecat Thunderstorm, but no one's selling it right now. The bigger, the better!

Four inch, it is a very convenient size, since you can get your hand into it.

Last edited:
I am split between the 4” with 75mm motor mount. As Steve Shannon mentioned, this with a couple of adapters makes for an incredibly flexible package.

Secondly, I really like a 54mm airframe setup as minimum diameter, and then adapters to 38 and 29.

BT-60 has to be my favorite (LP only here)
You can all the way up to 29mm w/o certification, and down to 13mm clusters.
Long or short, you can dial a rocket into your flying space nicely.
Plus, the Jolly Logic Chute Release will fit into it for even better recovery performance!
Thanks Mr. Beans!

My favorite is 4", but I build more 3". I can usually fly them on both G's and H's, depending on the field.

3" LOC & Madcow tubing is my favorite.
Perfect for 29 & 38mm MMTs. If you're adventurous, you can try a 54mm motor in 3 inch tubing.
2.6" tubing is probably my second favorite, but 3" is more roomy, easy to work with, and well, I just like it a lot!! :)

Thanks,

Back