What's your favorite aerotech propellant? poll

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your favorite aerotech rocket propellant?

• Black Max

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Black Jack

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Blue Thunder

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Dark Matter

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Metalstorm

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Mojave Green

• Classic

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • New Blue Thunder

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Propellant X

• Redline

Votes: 13 24.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
#1 - White Lightning
#2 - Blue Thunder
#3 - Black Jack

The other formulae did not exist when I moved to L.A. in 2001 and un-BAR'd myself ...

-- kjh

What's not to love ( 1.9 inch Vulcanette on J350W at Springfest 2000 )

vulcanette.jpg

Try the K1103X. 400 free N-s in the same case.

Then ZEDL1 said:

I have 2 of those but have yet to fly them. I'll look forward to doing that.

---

Thanks for the hints Rocketjunkie and ZEDL1 !

I have never flown Propellant X but I will definitely try the K1103X next time I've got a waiver and a launch site good for 9000 ft AGL :)

-- kjh

Redline for aesthetics. PropellantX for Acceleration off the pad. Especially the H999 in a light weight rocket.
William
William --

Nice !

All three of the 38mm Propellant-X Motors ( H669, H999, I1299 ) look like rocket crushers and accelerometer defeaters.

Especially the H999 and I1299 motors, both of which sim over 200 Gs in my 38mm, 375 gm La Pequeña Vulcanita !

And I would also be reluctant to fly the H999 or the I1299 without some sort of mod like Adrian A's An H motor pretending to be a K to transfer the thrust to the fwd AV-Bay without depending on the air frame's structural integrity ...

-- kjh

William --

Nice !

All three of the 38mm Propellant-X Motors ( H669, H999, I1299 ) look like rocket crushers and accelerometer defeaters.

Especially the H999 and I1299 motors, both of which sim over 200 Gs in my 38mm, 375 gm La Pequeña Vulcanita !

And I would also be reluctant to fly the H999 or the I1299 without some sort of mod like Adrian A's An H motor pretending to be a K to transfer the thrust to the fwd AV-Bay without depending on the air frame's structural integrity ...

-- kjh
Those are warp 9 motors

White Lightning.

Never heard of "Classic."
Apparently it’s an approximate recreation of the original Enerjet propellant. Translucent, almost invisible flame and little or no smoke almost gives the impression that it’s being propelled magnetically off the rod.

I flew an F52C in a Star Orbiter and the thing screamed to what must have been close to 2000 ft. Not bad for $35-for-2.

Apparently it’s an approximate recreation of the original Enerjet propellant. Translucent, almost invisible flame and little or no smoke almost gives the impression that it’s being propelled magnetically off the rod.

I flew an F52C in a Star Orbiter and the thing screamed to what must have been close to 2000 ft. Not bad for $35-for-2.
smstachwick --

2000 ft on Fiesta Island ?

You are my hero :)

-- kjh( who used to fly at F.I. as often as possible with DART in the good-ole days )

p.s. Harry the Motor Man brings the E24C, F52C and F67C with various delays to our TX launches ... gotta try some !

Can I vote for the Boost/Sustain combo of Warp 9 to White Lightning? I love a long burn motor but that initial boost using the Warp 9 is a stroke of genius.

Good heavens no! Do I really seem that insane? This was at Lucerne Dry Lake, where a flight like that stands a chance of coming back.

Whew !

I had to go swimming with the Jellyfishes surrounding F.I. once because Sergent John Thompson, USMC was not there that morning :)

-- kjh( :) insanity is all a matter of perspective I suppose :) )

smstachwick --

2000 ft on Fiesta Island ?

You are my hero :)

-- kjh( who used to fly at F.I. as often as possible with DART in the good-ole days )

p.s. Harry the Motor Man brings the E24C, F52C and F67C with various delays to our TX launches ... gotta try some !

I used to fly at Fiesta quite a bit myself! In all the time I flew there I never put one in the drink, but came awful close!

Back pre 9-11, there were several of us that flew pretty high there. Apparently, the 1000' limit was in place back then, but no one cared or mentioned it, so we never worried about it. The wind was the limiting factor.

When the wind allowed, I would load a G64w into a THOY wasp and let 'er rip. Did the sims years later and realized that it was going to 2200' if it was going an inch... :oops: The Vaughn Javelin and Aerotech Arcas simmed out a little lower, but still WAY over 1k!

I used to reef the chute all the way up to the canopy. It made kind of a "ballute" and brought it down fast, but soft enough to land in that semi-soft sand with no damage.

Of course, after 9-11 things changed quite a bit and we had to be more respectful of the "waiver".

Good times!

Ares you SERIOUS right now??????? You have to READ the WHOLE post! It says that the poll would not let me put any more options on it so if you vote white lightning or warp 9 or whatever else wasn't on there you can post it on the thread!!! I already said this.

Ares you SERIOUS right now??????? You have to READ the WHOLE post! It says that the poll would not let me put any more options on it so if you vote white lightning or warp 9 or whatever else wasn't on there you can post it on the thread!!! I already said this.
Hate to break it to you, most people just check New or the poll.

Every poll will have methodological hurdles, try not to worry about it.

I know... it's just people really need to start reading the whole thing otherwise they could be missing out. It's not just with this poll, it's with everything.

I know... it's just people really need to start reading the whole thing otherwise they could be missing out. It's not just with this poll, it's with everything.
This is a regular design challenge with voluntary polling. Pollsters need to take people’s patience into account and design their polls around this for the best results.

This is a regular design challenge with voluntary polling. Pollsters need to take people’s patience into account and design their polls around this for the best results.
Hey, I'm not trying to conduct some giant important research experiment, I'm just trying to see what other people like compared to what I like. If they want to not read the whole thing and get themselves confused, I'm fine with it. Just got frustrated because I already answered the question of "where'd it go" to another person on the thread, and I was annoyed that I had to do it again. But yes, you are right.

White Lightning.

Never heard of "Classic."

classic was before WL, it was clear, no smoke; just like an EnerJet... When Danville II came around every one wanted a White Lighting motor

I have at least one classic F 1988 motor here I think if I look good for it in the lair

Last edited:
I was taking Videos on a Video camcorder at that time was a rare costly thing at the time unless you had lots more money then I did , but I had to have one anyway.

However a lady next to me was also videoing at the Dare II on her camera and on one Clip I last sent to Frank at PML some decades ago as I copied it I could hear her say ; "I hope this next one is a A White Lightning"

I can no longer find the videos of Dare II & III I sent to Frank.. so I guess they are gone forever unless Frank still has a copy of them on the DIsks

In addition, you probably want to put the most popular and well-known answer among the 10 choices.

Aerotech makes a lot of good propellants, I cast my vote for Propellant X, but I have several favorites.
  • Redline is amazing. A good Redline motor is just unbelievably red. It's the reddest red. Pictures can't do it justice.
  • Warp 9 and Super Thunder are both amazing. Seeing a rocket teleport of the pad with a rush of sound never gets old. And if you manage to snag a good picture, they're both beautiful. And the endburning motors that use them are capable of some ridiculous altitudes.
  • Dark Matter is a decent sparky. Maybe not quite as dramatic as a good Skidmark, but much more consistent.
  • New Blue Thunder is a great combination of pretty good performance, and good visuals. A great blue propellant that I wish Aerotech would do more with.

Back