what would be suitable for a D12-7?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjphoenix

Reaction score
Somehow I ended up with a pack of these, and I was wondering what rocket they would be most suited for. For sure they won't work in my Big Daddy or Executioner. I'm guessing they might work in a CherokeeD. The CherokeeD IIRC is BT55 diameter. Are there any BT60 diameter kits intended for D engines that might fly with a D12-7 (or maybe a D12-5)? Would a D12-7 put a CherokeeD out of sight?

A D12-7 is going to put any model way up there (1000ft +). If you are going to use them in a Cherokee-D, I would downsize the 'chute to 12" or 10" to aid in getting it back. The upper stage of a CC-Express or a Big Bertha with a 24mm motor mount are a couple of suggestions to help you use the D12-7s.

Hello,

I use d12-7s on light 24 mm kits, such as the Goblin, I used one on my semroc magnum hornet, and I will use them on the Cherokee D once It get it finished. I have a few other 18 mm estes designs I changed to 24 mm in which they are good, maybe a bit too long, such as my Big Red Max and Super alpha

They are also great for the upper stages of 2 stage rockets.

So upper stages, or fairly light models.
enjoy! overpowering rockets is fun!

My brother used to use them in the second stage of his delta clipper. Light and thin.

If the Stormcaster is light, a D12-7 works great. A Goblin is just awesome on that motor.

Estes Laser Lance will fly to about 900 ft.on that motor. Maybe higher if you build your own fins for it instead of using the bulky set up that comes in the kit.

My Estes SCRAM BT60 upscale handles the D12-7 very nicely....but tends to perform better on D12-5s

It is my understanding that a D12-3 , D12-5, or D12-7 all have the same power, but have different delay times for the ejection charge 3 seconds, 5 seconds, and 7 seconds respectively.

Worked great in the upper stage of my Comanche 3D. Yup, made with all D engines. Used the engines as the stage couplers. Flew great until I tried a E9 in the upper stage. It didn't light and the upper came in ballistic :( .
Oh well, I got another new kit to try it again :) .
Adrian

Hmm. I see there is a Mini Comanche 3. Hmmm. 18mm m/d three stage?

Last edited:
Back