What is the oldest rocket or altimeter your currently have?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbeggs

Reaction score
I currently have the first rocket I ever built. It was scratch built and is 2.6" in diameter, 39.9 inches long, has a PML plastic nose cone, 1/4" launch lugs, 29mm motor mount, PML piston for recovery and used four Aerotech Astrobee D plastic fins. It is currently in need of a new paint job but still around after 24 years. I also have a few Adept altimeters and timers with the oldest being an ALTS82-50K octagonal flat mount altimeter which actually used string to tie the battery down.

Attachments

• Ghost_I.jpg
    Ghost_I.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Adept_ALTS82-50K.jpg
    Adept_ALTS82-50K.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 9
1989, a flight computer build on a 6805 chip with EEPROM memory... It's somewhere hiding in the Rocket Lair. I sent a picture of it to "Mark" the guy that writes the Highpower rocketry books so might have that on a backup drive someplace. Was made by the Bother of the THOY rocket company and he was based out of Ypsilanti Michigan. He didn't make many... I knew 68xx machine code and thought I was going to add more features, life got in the way...

My 1991 LOC I-Rock [I got it Direct from Ron & Debs house] was destroyed about 7ish years ago at a Cleveland launch where Barry from LOC said this was the oldest LOC rocket he has seen on the PA. [It had the older LOC 5.5" nose cone that was sort of transparent plastic, not white so you had to paint it] The Motor Ejection charge failed and it was destroyed. Barry gave me a new I-Roc kit for free, really nice guy. CTI gave me a new motor, the delay had "snuffed out" as noticed in forensics.

Last edited:
I think the oldest rocket kit I have is a Estes mini-brute combo pack of the Javelin & Superflea from 1973/74

Attachments

• C679F2BE-A9A8-4917-A3F4-4EF7248BA775.jpeg
    C679F2BE-A9A8-4917-A3F4-4EF7248BA775.jpeg
    233.5 KB · Views: 2
Built rockets is a Estes Big Bertha built somewhere in the late ‘70’s. Still in flying condition. And I have a Olsen M2 altimeter that works well, but sucks the juice out of one 9V. Next time I fly it, I think I’ll see if I can set it up with dual batteries.

I have a 1963-64 Estes Space Plane kit still in the bag.

I still have my first altimeter which was an Adept unit. Purchased in January 1993.

My oldest altimeter is maybe 9 months old and hasn't been flown yet... still waiting to test fly it in my new AeroTech ARCAS that I converted to dual-deploy.

My oldest rocket is a two-stage Estes kit I built back in the early 1980's. My old brain doesn't remember the name of it anymore, but it has a clear payload section, and as already stated, is a two-stage rocket. Has been flown only twice in all those years; the second flight had a staging issue and the upper stage motor completely roasted the booster section, so I had to build another one.

1989, a flight computer build on a 6805 chip with EEPROM memory... It's somewhere hiding in the Rocket Lair. I sent a picture of it to "Mark" the guy that writes the Highpower rocketry books so might have that on a backup drive someplace. Was made by the Bother of the THOY rocket company and he was based out of Ypsilanti Michigan. He didn't make many... I knew 68xx machine code and thought I was going to add more features, life got in the way...

Tiffany’s Hobbies of Ypsilanti, I have one of their 4” Phoenix rockets, bought and built back in 1998 I believe, and never flown. Just got a set of decals applied to the rocket, so it’s high time I launch it. Now, if only my super-cautious rocket club needs to grow some and open up launch operations; since our season is November through May, maybe they will this year . . . except for the drought. Who knows.

Back