What is the meaning or significance of "Astron" in Estes kit names?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil_w

OpenRocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a question of critical importance.

Looking through the 1968 Estes catalog (sent there by this thread) I, noticed that the majority of rockets in there have "Astron" as part of the name. Or I can't really tell if it's part of the name per se, the word is in a different font in the upper left of the picture of the rocket. Only a handful of rockets in the current Estes catalog still have Astron in the name (Elliptic II e.g.) I haven't been able to discern a pattern of which rockets get the Astron designation.

Does the word signify anything in particular? Is it actually part of the name? What is the deal exactly?

Awesome article! So the answer is... eh, not much significance. Hard to understand why it persists in a random few kits.

Hmmm... the original offerings of the premier company in the hobby ? The legacy of the Astron Rocket Society, the first beta testers ? A word Vern Estes made up 'cause it sounded "spacey" ? "Not much significance.", I beg to differ ! :)

More history:

https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/mrn/mrn0302.pdf

Last edited:
Hmmm... the original offerings of the premier company in the hobby ? The legacy of the Astron Rocket Society, the first beta testers ? A word Vern Estes made up 'cause it sounded "spacey" ? "Not much significance.", I beg to differ ! :)

Well, let's just say "historical significance", but not too much beyond that. ;)

Not to sound too much like a grump, but Estes has always had some pretty ... "cheesy" doesn't quite do it justice... marketing.

I remember getting the "Solar" launch controller (and the "Solar igniters") at age 12 with my Long John Silver starter pack, and when I realized that a) not only was it not solar powered, but also b) required 4 AA batteries, and then later, c) the thing ate batteries & 6 volts wasn't good enough to really launch rockets, I would have to buy the 12v Electron controller...

...I think I gave it my 12 year version of a "WTF? Over..."

I think what Vern was trying to say Astron ment "Above and Beyond" normal in product and customer service.
As well as literally, as what his rockets actually do.
The Astron name to a rocket is like...
is like the "Mr." in Mr. Estes.
And thanks for such a great read samb.
Really enjoyed it, especially the old photo's.

Not to sound too much like a grump, but Estes has always had some pretty ... "cheesy" doesn't quite do it justice... marketing.

I remember getting the "Solar" launch controller (and the "Solar igniters") at age 12 with my Long John Silver starter pack, and when I realized that a) not only was it not solar powered, but also b) required 4 AA batteries, and then later, c) the thing ate batteries & 6 volts wasn't good enough to really launch rockets, I would have to buy the 12v Electron controller...

...I think I gave it my 12 year version of a "WTF? Over..."

Not sure any of the launchers compare in the WTF category to the Estes Power-Pulse launcher which required a flat battery from Polaroid, the Pola-Pulse, expensive and short lived (both usage, and commercially)

Not sure any of the launchers compare in the WTF category to the Estes Power-Pulse launcher which required a flat battery from Polaroid, the Pola-Pulse, expensive and short lived (both usage, and commercially)

Remember the Centuri launcher that had a pneumatic plunger on a long tube that inflated a little balloon to close the switch contacts? THAT was a WTF for sure... I had one when I was a kid, and it worked "sometimes".

Servo-Launcher.

The ultimate in potential failure modes.

I had one.

Remember the Centuri launcher that had a pneumatic plunger on a long tube that inflated a little balloon to close the switch contacts? THAT was a WTF for sure... I had one when I was a kid, and it worked "sometimes".

So according to the Sport Rocketry article, even Vern is not entirely sure of its provenance :)

I remember as a pre-teen model rocket builder in the early 70s thinking it was taken from ASTRONautics or ASTRONaut. Certainly the "astro" part is relevant. Around that time lots of things had "-tron" tacked onto the end of their names. Remember the Tom Swift and Tom Swift Jr series of juvenile fiction? Even Tom Swift Jr had a "Space Solartron" and a "Subocean Geotron" :D

I had my morning tea in one of these this morning: https://www.zazzle.com/vintage_estes_astron_logo_mug-168589964808089558

I do tend to wait until they're having a sale to buy things like this.....

I've found the original Solar Launch Controller to work very nicely with current alkaline AAs. It is, after all, really electrically the same as all the variations of the Electron Beam since it appeared and replaced the Solar. I put an LED-based lamp in my original one to make it Q2G2-safe and use it from time-to-time.

Last edited:
Thanks to my daughter (and Bernard) I had my morning tea in one of these:

astron mug.jpg :grin:

Glad you got one or more. There was a brief 75% off mug sale before Christmas, so now I have a travel mug with the Astron logo on it. :)

I used the Polaroid batteries often because they were free. My grandmother had an SX-70 camera. She'd give me the used film packs and I'd salvage the batteries.

-- Roger

Back