What is technical name?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
vcp......................THANK YOU, UNBELIEVABLE DEAL.

I just got a few launch rails for free!!

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Rail has arrived, man this is heavy!!!

So I had a dig about work, found a 12mm OD stainless Steel sharft/rod that has an M6 thread on the inside. Result!!! Fact I found a few which will come home with me. Overall length is 140mm. The M6 thread is 20mm deep when tested with an M6 bolt.

The Rail is taped to M6 and is threaded 45mm deep

I'm going to buy some of these @ 60mm https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25123125...eName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The 12mm OD stainless Steel sharft/rod i'm going to cut down in length I think. It sit in the quick chuck 35mm.

I've been thinking how to hold my blast plate in place. Thread the 12mm shaft and use 2 nuts ether side to clamp it. I will have to add on the thickness of the bolts to the length of the rod. Presume 10mm thick each, so 20mm, rod @ 35mm in the chuck total 55mm length.

Should do the job.

I guess the comment I posted in another 'rail' thread didn't make it to this one. Misumi is another supplier of aluminum extrusion. It's pretty much the same as 80/20, but I'm sure it differs in some of the details - I don't know if existing rail buttons will fit. However, you can't beat this deal; $150 off on your first order from Misumi USA:

https://us.misumi-ec.com/news/topics/2014/01/misumi-first-150-promotion-terms-and-conditions.html

I haven't made my order yet, but have heard from several people who have. You don't have to be a 'company', individuals have had their order processed just fine; you do have to order by CC. USA only, sorry. You do have to pay postage, which I've heard is quite reasonable. You don't have to order more than $150. I believe it is limited to Misumi-branded materials. And, Misumi cuts to any specified length for free, IIRC.

Gary

Speaking of "Stiffer", I was looking at the various configurations of the 80/20 rail and was wondering why most use 1010 rail.

10 Series Rail.png

If stiffness is what we are looking for, why not use 1004 or even 1001 rail?

Speaking of "Stiffer", I was looking at the various configurations of the 80/20 rail and was wondering why most use 1010 rail.

View attachment 165324

If stiffness is what we are looking for, why not use 1004 or even 1001 rail?

Your quite correct!
personally I went with the 1004 for that very reason. slightly more expensive but a more robust stiffness.

Usually stiffness of the rail isn't the issue, but rather the connection between rail and pad.

The four slots lets you use it 4x longer before it must be cleaned.

You can also attach a piece of steel tubing to the launch rail by using bolts whose heads are ground down in order to slide into the slot in the rail. I just ground down some new ones for rail because the old ones were getting quite rusted. It's nice to be able to occasionally insert the bolt/tubing assembly into different slots in the rail in order to keep the wear and tear shared among all the surfaces.

Back