What is it you like so much about...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing keeping Der Red Max alive is that it's design is in a kind of sweet spot for having fun with variant looks.
It's got a distinctive enough shape that it's instantly recognizable even with a different paint scheme, but it's simple and abstract enough that it's easy to use as a blank canvas.

If you put Hello Kitty decals on, say, a Wizard, it just looks like a generic Hello Kitty rocket.
If you put Hello Kitty decals on a Red Max it's very clearly a Der Hallo Katzchen.

Way too many impressionable white boys in the 60's, 70's and 80's that grew up with visions of cool decals dancing in their brains. With the catalog firmly in hand they fantasized about building and flying those dream boats mentioned above. How many chores had to be completed, lawns mowed, to get the few uninflated dollars of cash and coins to buy them. If you lived in a small town or the country you had to wait for the folks to take a trip to the big city whete you could find a hobby store. If you had a MIGHTY D you were the coolest kid in town!

Now all the boys are old, fat and trying to recapture the happiness of their youth. Plenty of cash now to be spent on flying the ones you loved or could not get as a boy. Big boys need bigger toys so upscales Rock! As hardened cold warriors they love the retro decals, just laughing off their non PC attributes. Merica rules! Big motors rule! Just some good ole boys, never meaning no harm. Someday the mountain might get 'em but the law never will!

Yeah, it was a bit of a weird feeling, to drop $300 at Acsupply and wallpaper my workshop with unbuilt Estes kits.

Last time I had any was thirty years ago. And we were making streamers out of anything, chutes out of zip lock bags, and cabbage or TP for wadding. A decent paint job was rare, because a can of paint was worth as much as the rocket.

Last edited:
Goblins and DRMs I always liked, Berthas not so much until recently. As a kid I laughed my head off at the silly decals on the DRM. Goblins go really high, so I made a souped-up standard size Goblin with glassed fins, Kevlar cord, 2 mil Mylar streamer, and a weighted nose cone that will take any motor that fits. I'm not sure how anyone could not like them!

Well, I've been gifted into Bertha-dom! One of the guys at work was cleaning out the garage and found an old Super Big Bertha kit. I went in to work yesterday and it was sitting on my toolbox...

Very cool! Looks like it needs at least a 29mm mount, though...

Doesn't SBB come with a 29mm motor mount? Or is there an older iteration that's a 24?

The original was 24mm. Then renamed the Broadsword. Still 24mm. Then the new SNB in 29mm to use the new E & F BP motors. I never had an original SBB, but I did build a Broadsword. Even made sure the 24/60 case would fit. Haven’t tried one yet tho…

These are a few of my not favorite things:
Estes:
Patriot
DRM
Goblin
Big Bertha
Rogue
Aero-Hi
Little John
Javelin
Super Flea
Mark II
Sky Hook
Bandit
WAC Corporal
Arcas

Or is there an older iteration that's a 24?
The Estes #2165 Super Big Bertha had a 24mm mount. D12-5 was the only recommended motor.
est2165.pdf (spacemodeling.org)
Die cut balsa with gusseted fins.
My clone build was destroyed on its' maiden by a motor CATO.
Rebuilt with HD tubing, ply TTW fins and centering rings, and Stickershock vinyl.
Flew well on its' maiden. Plenty of 24 mm AT and QJet motors to fly on.
0419220558[1].jpg

I got the Hogan's Heroes humor behind the Red Max even back in 1977, and I was pretty stupid in 1977. When I got back into the hobby in 2001, I was disappointed to see that it was no longer in the lineup, but I got why even then. When I discovered EMRR, I found a review of DRM and considered buying one of the kits available overseas at the time, but somehow wound up locating a nose cone in early 2002. Putting the rocket together was easy, but the decals were another story. I wound up printing them on clear inkjet paper and printing a guide copy on plain paper. I took that paper and taped it to a sheet of white adhesive shelf paper, then cut everything just inside the lines. I placed these white bits in appropriate spots on the body tube, then applied the black and clear decals over them. Looked great, and from ten feet you'd swear I found a set of vintage decals. That one is still flying, and since then I've added a couple to the collection. I think 27 or 28, but I tend to lose track. I have a MicroMaxx DRM ready for paint and a 3" that I plan to build as a 3x24mm cluster. I have vague plans to try to fly a bunch of them from MX to the Mega Max and have the Mega be my Level 1, but the key word is vague.

These are a few of my not favorite things:
Estes:
Patriot
DRM
Goblin
Big Bertha
Rogue
Aero-Hi
Little John
Javelin
Super Flea
Mark II
Sky Hook
Bandit
WAC Corporal
Arcas
Flown all but the Aero-Hi, Little John and Bandit, and have the parts for the first two and the Semroc kit for the Bandit.

Big Bertha: Meh... Never been my thing. I just can't get excited about it. I'm only interested in it for parts.

Der Red Max: This took a long time to grow on me. The tipping point was hearing Mel Brooks talk about how the best way to deflate the Nazis was to make fun of them. I realize that there is no Nazi markings for this kit. In looking at the original instructions, it has a MAD! Magazine/Laugh In vibe.

Goblin: Also took a long time to grow on me. I'm not overly thrilled with the original version (too small IMHO (I'm a big fan of getting my rockets back after a launch, and I'm worried that this one would be a one shot and lost situation)). However, upscaled to BT-60, or larger, it has my interest.

Citation Patriot: One of my first 10 rockets (possibly at the tail end of the first 5). Big, colorful, sexy... Great flier... Fun memories (It's first launch was at dusk, and I could see the flame all the way up, and I was barely able to see it as it came down, and was lucky enough to be able to catch it). I love my modifications of it (adding a 2nd stage, and payload section). This was one of the first ones that had a pretty good (not perfect) paint job.

Astron Omega w/Cineroc: First seen (by me) in the 1971 Estes catalog that I got from my band teacher who sold me his Saturn V, Estes Trident, Centuri V2, and Mach 10 kits. I fell in love with its lines and the beautiful markings... The idea of being able to film a launch was very appealing. However, I was too late (by 8 years) to buy one of them, and didn't get online until the 90s, and was very limited in my abilities to afford the hobby prior to 2013, when I spotted Techmoan's videos on the 808 camera. I'm still trying to get the final work done on the CinerocDV project... I just can't find someone with the time, resources, and skills to copy the camera shroud to push this over the top.

Astron Cherokee-D: Colorful, Sexy, D powered... Likely my 3rd kit. Need I say more?

Super sleek streamlined rockets, while exciting to watch screaming out of sight, are mostly boring to look at on the ground. The DRM, Goblin and BB can look good sitting on the ground, yes primarily from the decals, but oversize fins also give you more to look at. They also fly slower (mostly) and remain in sight longer... If you want speed and altitude, it's a simple formula, 3FNC built as light as possible for the desired performance, but most are hard to tell apart. So, I like these for their distinctive looks, a good amount of nostalgia, plus their flight characteristics. Truth be told, I just love anything rocketry... 😁

The one I was given is a #2165, 24mm. I gave some thought to building it as is, since we have a lot more in the way of motor choices in 24mm these days, But I'll most likely install a 29mm mount and maybe an av-bay.

I'm pretty sure it'll be one of these two paint schemes though. (Yeah, I know, that's a Ranger, but the paint looks nice...)
1650412902514.png
1650413299870.png

There are a few rockets that are MASSIVELY popular but don't particularly appeal to me at all. That said, I'm very genuinely interested in what it is about these designs that is so appealing that some folks have several in their fleet, often in different sizes!

These are the designs I was thinking of (Feel free to add to this list):

Big Bertha
Der Red Max
Goblin
Citation Patriot

Is it the shape, decor, performance, nostalgia, other?

So if you're a big fan of one of these give us some Idea as to what it its that makes it so special for you!
You are correct sir. None of these kits have any appeal for me. But I figure if somebody likes them, then let them build and fly with them and I will just go my own way. I am a sucker for any scale kits of real built rockets. That's how I roll. Some like the goofy nauseous coloured Estes kits that look like they were designed to attract kids...

You know how to really get me salivating - show me another Black Brant kit... ha ha ha... :bravo: :dancingelephant: :headspinning::popcorn:

Big edit. My post was out of place, sorry.

To the OP's point regarding many of the mentioned rockets (including the Big Daddy I didn't see mentioned), I like short fat rockets. Can't say for sure why. I also like minimum and sub-minimum diameter extremely anorexic rockets.

Last edited:
the only old "Run of the Mill" super popular models that I like is the Fat Boy. And that is because at my grandson's first launch that was their favorite rocket ...It was easy for them to see, didn't go very high, and they could carry it back very easily in one hand. So they wanted me to make/ get more of them, and now I just finished three short fat rockets. ;)

The one I was given is a #2165, 24mm. I gave some thought to building it as is, since we have a lot more in the way of motor choices in 24mm these days, But I'll most likely install a 29mm mount and maybe an av-bay.

I'm pretty sure it'll be one of these two paint schemes though. (Yeah, I know, that's a Ranger, but the paint looks nice...)
View attachment 515001
View attachment 515008

$2.75 for a Cherokee-D. Those were the days.

I am a Viking fan, don't know why, just like the way they fly.
I have a fleet from BT-5 mini engine to BT-80 29mm EM.
I am also a Big Berth Bertha fan, great flights. Have a few with mods. Sold my Bertha Butt to someone on here when the fire happened.
Strange as it seams, another one of my favorites is the Army Patriot M-104. Less forgiving on wind, but fly's a little higher than a BB.
And the Sky Writer (even though it's an E2X) is a good flyer. I had to scoop a few up at $5 a pop.
And of course the Alpha. But not the Alpha 3. I've never seen one without warped fins on the fin can.
I could on and on, but I got things to do today.

I'm in the same boat, none of the rocket listed in the OP really appeal to me. Especially Big Bertha: the name and shape of the fins and nose cone are really a turn off for me. I think it's just nostalgia for most people. I do have a Baby Bertha and a Citation Patriot in my flying fleet, but I don't salivate over/worship them. I bought one of those MDRM kits that were on sale on Amazon just because of the deal, but I plan on finishing it in a sport scheme, not the goofy pseudo-German markings.

The only duplicates I have are a small V2 kit I built. Then I scratch built a 4" one. I scratch built 2 Nike Smokes. A 3' long 2.6" single deploy with a 29mm mmt. The other is a 3" 6 footer dual deploy with a 38mm mmt. At some point I'll build a bigger V2.
I’d love to do a 3” Smoke from scratch. How’d you fabricate the nose cone?

I’d love to do a 3” Smoke from scratch. How’d you fabricate the nose cone?
I used a paper mache craft cone. I have used several to make nose cones. They come in a lot of sizes. I coated them with wood filler. I like GoodFilla filler. It is very smooth. Sanded. Then more filler and prime. It was easy to get a good finish. Here is one I did And one I haven't done anything to. I got them from Amazon. I did two Nike Smokes with them. A 2.6" and a 3". I have used them for tail cones too.20210824_165912[1074].jpg20210802_124921[932].jpg20210802_124914[933].jpg

Back