Quantcast

What is in Knoxville, TN?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

DRAGON64

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My wife is going on Friday for a Calligraphy meeting and class, and does not want to drive alone... so what is there to see rocketry-wise in Knoxville, TN? Specifically related to motors and reloads if possible. I would need to fill time all day on Saturday (9AM - 4PM).

If there is nothing rocketry related, then what would be cool to do in Knoxville to pass the time?

watheyak

Barnstormer
Reaction score
I recently had a couple days to fill in Knoxville. I didn't find anything specifically related to reloads or rocket-specific, really.

I often find myself with time to waste in random cities because of my job. My strategy is usually to hit as many hobby shops and outdoor stores as possible. There were a few decent hobby shops, for sure.

Oh yeah! There's there's the women's basketball hall of fame!

DRAGON64

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks guys... I really hope I can find something to do, as my wife is uncomfortable traveling solo. I have not been to a zoo in a long time. I may also look into some gun stores. Who knows, maybe there is an old mil-surp waiting on me.

LW Bercini

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Not rocketry related, but an interesting destination:

25 miles west of Knoxville is Oak Ridge TN, home of the American Museum of Science and Energy.

The museum also provides bus tours of the local sites of the Manhattan Project National Historical Park including the X-10 Graphite Reactor National Historic Landmark

Lowpuller

Reaction score
Which Saturday, we have a launch in Asheville on 10/22, limited to Gs.

Peartree

Cyborg Rocketeer
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Several decades ago there was a Worlds Fair in Knoxville. There might still be something of interest from that.

If you belong to AAA, grab one of their guidebooks for Kentucky and there are sure to be several pages dedicated to things in and around Knoxville. They also usually tell you hours of operation and prices. Always handy.

Woody's Workshop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
You going by way of Chattanooga, TN? If so, just off the freeway there is a nice new Knife showroom if your into knives.
6861 Mountain View Rd.
Ooltewah, TN
Just North of Chattanooga.
Hope to make it there someday myself.

Wizard

Reaction score
If you are into boats, there are several manufacturers near Knoxville - Skiers Choice (Supra, Moomba) is in Maryville and Mastercraft is in Vonore. If you contact them, you can often get some sort of factory tour.

Dave A

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
My wife is going on Friday for a Calligraphy meeting and class, and does not want to drive alone... so what is there to see rocketry-wise in Knoxville, TN? Specifically related to motors and reloads if possible. I would need to fill time all day on Saturday (9AM - 4PM).

If there is nothing rocketry related, then what would be cool to do in Knoxville to pass the time?
Oak Ridge Laboratory (they made the fuel for the Manhattan Project) visitor's center was an interesting tour. That was 20 years ago but I got to talk to some interesting folks. I noticed some volunteers (no pun intended) the ones with gray hair were probably old employees. I was right and got in some interesting stories from them. I could relate because my mother worked at the next generation plant, Savannah River Plant. Google says it's a 42 min drive.

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
I third the recommendation for Oak Ridge. The docent there was very interesting.

samb

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'd definitely like to see Oak Ridge. Isn't that where they were gonna make the fuel pellets for the atomic rocket cars we were all supposed to have by now ?

KennB

I-95 Envoy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Several decades ago there was a Worlds Fair in Knoxville. There might still be something of interest from that.

If you belong to AAA, grab one of their guidebooks for Kentucky and there are sure to be several pages dedicated to things in and around Knoxville. They also usually tell you hours of operation and prices. Always handy.
I attended the 1982 World's Fair in Knoxville and would be curious to hear what may remain from it. It seemed more like a trade show for energy companies compared to the 1964-65 World's Fair in New York. We got to enjoy lots of the countryside as our housing was about an hour outside of town.

rharshberger

Reaction score
I attended the 1982 World's Fair in Knoxville and would be curious to hear what may remain from it. It seemed more like a trade show for energy companies compared to the 1964-65 World's Fair in New York. We got to enjoy lots of the countryside as our housing was about an hour outside of town.
So did I, we made a school field trip from Cleveland, TN to Knoxville, mostly what remains now is the Sunsphere and the Tennessee Amphitheater and a pond from the original WF park, a couple of open areas nearby have been used to host concerts over the years.

Last edited:

DRAGON64

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
There seems to be a fair amount of stuff to do... I have also received a recommendation to rent a Harley and ride"The Dragons Tail" an 11-mile stretch of road in the Smokies with 318 curves... if only I knew how to ride!

Peartree

Cyborg Rocketeer
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I was there as well. That's why I remembered it was there.

KarlS

Reaction score
The "Tail of the Dragon" is NOT for beginners on rented bikes! Oak Ridge is the best choice.

rharshberger

Reaction score
The "Tail of the Dragon" is NOT for beginners on rented bikes! Oak Ridge is the best choice.
+1, its a fun but challenging ride for experienced riders, IMO the other traffic is actually more dangerous than the road itself.