What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 24.

I did not fall to pieces more than twice today. Mostly when measuring her for a nice box with a plaque. Okay, this may seem shameless, I wish one of you craftsman could make a box engraved or wood cut or something with a Valentine and Rocket themed custom box for her. I'd then buy a plaque. I do not have a lot of dough. But any ideas? 9x7x5 inch. Or maybe not. Sorry.... just wish I had the skills or the laser cutter.

We returned some clothes to Kohls. I mean they COULD NOT HAVE BEEN NICER! Seriously. In an age where being kind is a completely forgotten idea, they were incredible. They took back tagged clothes that I had no receipt for. No, they did not give me full price. However odds are my lovely Kim did not pay full price. That is not who she was. She knew the value of everything. AND the price. And she knew how combining the two into a bargain when she saw one. Her only issue was knowing when to stop. Just like me with rockets. (I have 400 kits - think about that. If I built and finished one a week that is 7.5 years of building. And I assure you I can not build and FINISH one a week). So I did not, nor to this day will ever, criticize her for what gave her pleasure. It's just BOTH of us over spent a bit. And that chicken has come home to roost.

That's it for the day. I put her next to me in bed and cried my eyeballs out for a good hour last night. And my friends have donated so much in the gofundme page. I also get mail and things from others near and far. It gives one hope that people, not men, not women, not XXXX, but PEOPLE do care about each other. If we just listen to our better side.

My Kim would agree. Good God almighty I miss her.

One foot in front of the other.
When my wife was clearing her uncle’s estate, she found that most major companies have a customer service department specifically for bereaved people. They are far nicer than the regular customer service folks.

Day 25

Cried. Cried some more. She was a kitty mom. Fourteen of them over the 27 years we knew each other. She was a "Cat Whisperer". There was no cat she could not tame and make them into loverbugs.

Donated some stuff. Returned more stuff to Kohls. They were great again. Just wish I knew what to spend all the Kohls gift card money on. There is little I need. I mean in essentials.

Got a card from my Dad's half-riother and wife. Wow. Just wow. Speechless. Especially from relatives that I barely have visited with. I hope I can rectify that at some point in the near future. Life is indeed too damn short.

Looked into putting a trailer hitch on the 2009 ML350. $600 bucks from Uhaul. I just wanted to use it with a metal cargo platform I have to carry stuff. Not actually tow trailer. But that's what they want. Back about 10 years ago it was $325 for the QX-4. Alas while I could order a hitch for under $200, I don't really have a clue when it comes to installing it. And I presume I don't have the right tools anyways. Maybe look into simple crossbars for the cargo rails. But I am a little long in tooth to be trying to lift things up there...

Sister and I went to the beach. Gorgeous day. Cool onshore breeze. Teared up a tad. Why had I not driven, wheeled, or walked Kim down here more? 1.3km? Dunno. There'll always be time to do that right? Except when there is not. Have mentioned how I miss her terribly? Just in case I did not, I do.
One foot...

Donated some stuff. Returned more stuff to Kohls. They were great again. Just wish I knew what to spend all the Kohls gift card money on. There is little I need. I mean in essentials.
There are ways to sell those things. I don't think you can count on getting full value unless it's going to a friend or family member; anyone else will be looking for a bargain. Still maybe you'll get 75%, 90%, I don't know. Also, it's possible that Khol's has partner companies that take its cards, though a quick Google search only turned up a French counterpart of Alta Beauty.

At worst, you could donate them to a shelter, food bank, or other charity that knows what to do with them; they get the money, and you get a charitable donation on your taxes.

And all of that is after buying what little you do need, of course.

Looked into putting a trailer hitch on the 2009 ML350. $600 bucks from Uhaul. I just wanted to use it with a metal cargo platform I have to carry stuff. Not actually tow trailer. But that's what they want. Back about 10 years ago it was $325 for the QX-4.
Is this something you're thinking you'll use a lot? If not, $600 would get you several days of a rental vehicle with the hitch.

We adopted two littermates 18 years ago. Both polydactyls.

Just rereading some posts. Polydactyls are colloquially known as 'Hemingway Cats'. Ernest had quite a number of them and allowed them to breed at his Florida home. Descaendenta

Always wanted one (because... Hemingway), but cats and endangered wildlife just don't go together.

Listened to the rain overnight. We had 90 mm (or 3.54 ", or 0.736 dried muskrat pelts) of rain in 12 hours. If it were February I wouldn't flinch, but this is very late in the season for such heavy rain.

Heading out to grab a week of so of supplies in case we lose the access road (again). 🤠

Listened to the rain overnight. We had 90 mm (or 3.54 ", or 0.736 dried muskrat pelts) of rain in 12 hours. If it were February I wouldn't flinch, but this is very late in the season for such heavy rain.

Heading out to grab a week of so of supplies in case we lose the access road (again). 🤠
ok, what season is it down there?

Day 25

Cried. Cried some more. She was a kitty mom. Fourteen of them over the 27 years we knew each other. She was a "Cat Whisperer". There was no cat she could not tame and make them into loverbugs.

Got a card from my Dad's half-riother and wife. Wow. Just wow. Speechless. Especially from relatives that I barely have visited with. I hope I can rectify that at some point in the near future. Life is indeed too damn short.

Looked into putting a trailer hitch on the 2009 ML350. $600 bucks from Uhaul. I just wanted to use it with a metal cargo platform I have to carry stuff. Not actually tow trailer. But that's what they want. Back about 10 years ago it was $325 for the QX-4. Alas while I could order a hitch for under $200, I don't really have a clue when it comes to installing it. And I presume I don't have the right tools anyways. Maybe look into simple crossbars for the cargo rails. But I am a little long in tooth to be trying to lift things up there...

Sister and I went to the beach. Gorgeous day. Cool onshore breeze. Teared up a tad. Why had I not driven, wheeled, or walked Kim down here more? 1.3km? Dunno. There'll always be time to do that right? Except when there is not. Have mentioned how I miss her terribly? Just in case I did not, I do.
One foot...

It might be worth checking with a Pepboys or similar if they are in your area. I believe they will install a hitch if you buy it there and it might be more economical. Also, possibly look into 4 wheel drive shops.

Sandy.

[pushes glasses up nose] Ackshully, it's 4.810 muskrat pelts to the inch not 4.810 inches to the muskrat pelt, so 3.54 inches is 17.03 muskrat pelts. If you're going to mock our stupid system of units, at least get it right. 😁

Here's hoping the road survives.

Day 26.

Not much different. Emotions? Look back here... Lather rinse and repeat. Kohls returns... all done finally. The best I can figure is over the past year, she was not sure of her size anymore. So she'd order a small and medium of the same thing fully intending to return the one that did not fit. Kohls as I have found out, it is REALLY good about that.

Sent some papers to shredding. $25 for 25 pounds. Long overdue.

Sister leaves tonight to get back to her life. In two weeks she has been a whirlwind of help. I'll miss her.

For now I am simply gonna say, Day 26. I miss you. I love you. Where the f' are you? How the hell am I supposed to find joy now? We'll see

Day 26.

Not much different. Emotions? Look back here... Lather rinse and repeat. Kohls returns... all done finally. The best I can figure is over the past year, she was not sure of her size anymore. So she'd order a small and medium of the same thing fully intending to return the one that did not fit. Kohls as I have found out, it is REALLY good about that.

Sent some papers to shredding. $25 for 25 pounds. Long overdue.

Sister leaves tonight to get back to her life. In two weeks she has been a whirlwind of help. I'll miss her.

For now I am simply gonna say, Day 26. I miss you. I love you. Where the f' are you? How the hell am I supposed to find joy now? We'll see

A few updates ago, you mentioned needing to learn how to cook. When you have the mental energy, you might see if your local community center has cooking classes. If they don't, some cultural centers (Latino, Vietnamese, etc.) have cooking classes. If that's a style of food you like, it might give you some fundamentals and help you branch out.

[pushes glasses up nose] Ackshully, it's 4.810 muskrat pelts to the inch not 4.810 inches to the muskrat pelt, so 3.54 inches is 17.03 muskrat pelts. If you're going to mock our stupid system of units, at least get it right. 😁

Here's hoping the road survives.

Are you stacking those pelts? Don't you measure them lengthwise (longy-ways, spiny side up, paws-to-the-sides)?

Confused foreigners need to know these things.

Are you stacking those pelts? Don't you measure them lengthwise (longy-ways, spiny side up, paws-to-the-sides)?

Confused foreigners need to know these things.
Definitely stacked. The length is too variable muskrat-to-muskrat to be reliable unit. However, it is critical for stacking accuracy to alternate which direction the head end of the pelt goes. There are slight differences in thickness between head and tail, so if you always stack them the same way, you'll get accumulated errors. You should also not cross-stack them (head to the previous pelt's side) or all kinds of heck will break loose.

I know that this seems a little hard at first, but if you can manage measuring weight in stone and beer in pints, I'm sure you can figure out muskrat pelts. :D

Out walking the dog today, and see one of my state representatives rolling down the street on a Lime bike. I was too busy doing a double take to say hello.

There are ways to sell those things. I don't think you can count on getting full value unless it's going to a friend or family member; anyone else will be looking for a bargain. Still maybe you'll get 75%, 90%, I don't know. Also, it's possible that Khol's has partner companies that take its cards, though a quick Google search only turned up a French counterpart of Alta Beauty.

At worst, you could donate them to a shelter, food bank, or other charity that knows what to do with them; they get the money, and you get a charitable donation on your taxes.

And all of that is after buying what little you do need, of course.

Is this something you're thinking you'll use a lot? If not, $600 would get you several days of a rental vehicle with the hitch.
I think I would use it a few times a year. So you may be on to something there. Thanks.

woke up at 2 AM, came into the stereo/hobby room with Dizzy
HBKU9sk.jpg

House building stuff. Spoke to the council planner. He sees no problems with what he has seen so far. Organising the arborist to come out. Four weeks wait for that. Got a quote for demolition. $20k. Bargain price as my neighbour is also doing a knockdown rebuild. Will get another couple of quotes, then push the button.

Temporary fencing is surprisingly cheap. Lucky. I need just over 200' of it, at around $2/ft, plus delivery.

Signing the current version of plans so we can go in and do color/appliance/flooring selections, etc.

Tomorrow I need to throw $5.5k at the council. They should be making a mint out of us.

Back