What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool, just about enough time for him to outgrow that bike. By them he'll have some more skills and you can aim for the CF frame. :p

I have carbon bars on my mountain bike, but just an aluminum frame. I always figure if I want to shave weight that bad, I should start with my gut before shelling out big bucks on CF.

I did have to look, do they actually make kids CF bikes? The bike industry doesn't disappoint. Enter the almost $1100 kids mountain bike. Actually cheaper than I thought it would be for all that bling.

https://www.patrolmountain.com/2021-patrol-c020/

I have carbon bars on my mountain bike, but just an aluminum frame. I always figure if I want to shave weight that bad, I should start with my gut before shelling out big bucks on CF.

I did have to look, do they actually make kids CF bikes? The bike industry doesn't disappoint. Enter the almost $1100 kids mountain bike. Actually cheaper than I thought it would be for all that bling.

I'm with you on the weight cutting equation. But, it would definitely be nice to shave ten pounds or so off the bike when climbing.
But I did buy the darn thing for exercise!

I wouldn't spend $1100 on a kids bike, they outgrow them too fast.
Unless the kid is showing world class skill.
But by then he'll be bigger maybe enough for a 27.5.

sailing here (Montreal) in October, it's not uncommon to have 0°C days.. and the wind-chill on top of that. soo cold, your hands are in a permanent 'grip' position.. and yeah, the odd icicle off the end of the boom.. And you are wondering: 'why the ____ am I doing this...' as you get pounded by yet another wave & associated spray while hiked out..
I've gone into the water @40F to clear a stray line that would have made harbor entry and docking risky.
Took less than a minute to clear, but by the time I got around to the stern I didn't have the strength to pull myself up on the rudder as I usually did. I had to wait for the crew to deploy a ladder.

Cold water kills quickly and it is amazing how quickly your strength goes.
I thought about that yesterday as I was the ONLY person out there on a 400' dock.
If I had gone in they probably would have been notifying next of kin sometime today.

I wouldn't spend $1100 on a kids bike, they outgrow them too fast.
Unless the kid is showing world class skill.
But by then he'll be bigger maybe enough for a 27.5.

I wouldn't either. The bike shop has a trade up program for kids bikes, but it still isn't a great deal and wouldn't be worth it on a high end bike. He shows some impressive skill already for a 5 year old, but not likely world-class.

Biking is the only sport he's been interested in and the hobby I do the most. He has been on the trails with me on a balance since he could walk. He also wants to try BMX racing which I know little about. We will which interests him the most and if it sticks with him as he gets older.

My first trip into cold water was 45 degrees and we had so anchor some buoys to mark some rocks and the swim area on a Lake Erie beach. All of us could do one at a time before needing to get out. A couple summers ago, I was able to swim in Lake Superior. The water temperature that day was close to 50 and it still felt like a shock when I entered. I swam out about 100 yards and back, fully submerged once, just to say I have. Once I swim in Lake Ontario, I will have been in all of the Great Lakes.

Menards usually has those in stock.
That's always a "tense" job. :)
Menard's would be OK, if there were some located in my part of the country. (PNW)
I figured If I can build, wind and unwind the counterbalance for the 767 doors I could do my own garage door, a much simpler task!
This is the outer spring only for the 767 door. There is a secondary inner spring. Once installed they are wound to 65 revolutions IRC.
1619459863189.png

Last edited:
The coldest water I've been in was in the Bay of Fundy. 40 to 42 F year round. It has the highest tides in the world. Tidal range is up to12 meters. I was 16 and not too bright.

I've gone into the water @40F to clear a stray line that would have made harbor entry and docking risky.
Took less than a minute to clear, but by the time I got around to the stern I didn't have the strength to pull myself up on the rudder as I usually did. I had to wait for the crew to deploy a ladder.

I thought about that yesterday as I was the ONLY person out there on a 400' dock.
If I had gone in they probably would have been notifying next of kin sometime today.

Cold water shock can kill pretty much instantly (cardiac arrest and/or drowning) in some cases. It's not to be trifled with. Spring is pretty bad for drowning deaths out here because the air gets warm a long time before the rivers do. Going in off of the inner tube you were floating the river on can end really badly.

I've gone into water that was near freezing to demonstrate capsizing a Laser during a sailing class. I righted the boat in less than a minute, but wasn't much good for anything afterwards. I'd planned ahead and did the demo about 20 feet from the dock so it didn't take long to get warm again.

My 2nd "serious" MTB was an Aluminum Rocky Mountain Thin Air. Loved it! this was in '97 ish.. (Then I got broken into & lost a lot of stuff..)
I currently have a vintage R.M. Blizzard (Hand built, limited edition frame)

And I am looking for a proper road bike. Started looking this week-end, and man-o-man, not cheap!!! but then again, $1200 20 years ago wasn't cheap either..

$1200 20 years ago wasn't cheap either..

I spent $1000 on my Cross Check in 2009, built up exactly how I wanted it and fit to me like a glove. I didn't go with any high end components except for a leather Brooks saddle. This was mid-range then and probably retails for a little more now. I'm not sure what the entry point is for a road bike these days, especially for Canada dollars. I would hope $1000 would still get someone in a good bike.

For many riders, Dicks and REI might be good choices to get started. Bikes sold at other discount stores and made by Pacific with brand names you recognize like Scwhinn and Mongoose aren't the same quality those brands were known for. IF they were built correctly, they'll be fine on a paved path and around the neighborhood for a casual rider. If they weren't built correctly, they'll be dangerous. Don't even try to use them off road, even if they are shaped like a mountain bike.

@NateB the dream roadie was always the Specialized Allez with shimano 105. Or a Cannondale.. (Or a Vitus or Colnago..)

but I've been out of biking for a while, so, I don't know what the bits are anymore! and when I look around, almost everywhere is sold out of bikes in the 'up to $2500CAD' range..

This covid has really screwed up a lot of supply & demand. Gas in our neck of the woods is back up to normal prices, despite a lock down / curfew & many working from home. Lumber has shot up 50%-75%, and home reno stuff equally as pricey.. (I was also gonna do a deck out back this year! maybe next year at this point!) Camping sites are all spoken for.. So much so, that the Gov. of Ontario is cracking down of people who've booked a week or two & are reselling days at 2x the going rate.. Bikes, Cross country skis, etc.. are all in very short supply! I do wonder how long it'll take 'after covid' for things to get back to normal costs.. (or if they will & this is the new normal for the cost of goods..)

Last edited:
Menard's would be OK, if there were some located in my part of the country. (PNW)
I figured If I can build, wind and unwind the counterbalance for the 767 doors I could do my own garage door, a much simpler task!
This is the outer spring only for the 767 door. There is a secondary inner spring. Once installed they are wound to 65 revolutions IRC.
View attachment 461726
WHAT A SLINKY!!! Does it go down steps well? ;)

@NateB the dream roadie was always the Specialized Allez with shimano 105.

That is exactly what I just got, and after taking it out for the first time I am VERY happy with it. I don't know what this combo was back in the day, but it is entry level now.

WHAT A SLINKY!!! Does it go down steps well? ;)
Don't know about that, it is carbon fiber so when it breaks it splinters big time. Not fun to clean up.
I built the CB for 18 years, never once thought of it being a slinky! Looking at it this way...
Wish I could post a pic of that device, Company however would frown upon that.

That is exactly what I just got, and after taking it out for the first time I am VERY happy with it. I don't know what this combo was back in the day, but it is entry level now.
it always was "entry level" as in race-ready.. it wasn't (isn't?) a department store bike, but a very decent frame, and (at the time) the 3rd or 4th grouppo set Shimano made (Ultegra / Dura ace (600) then 105. then the stamped steel stuff..) teh frame set was usually teh same, and teh parts made it high-end or medium end.. [$$ or $$$]

it always was "entry level" as in race-ready.. it wasn't (isn't?) a department store bike, but a very decent frame, and (at the time) the 3rd or 4th grouppo set Shimano made (Ultegra / Dura ace (600) then 105. then the stamped steel stuff..) teh frame set was usually teh same, and teh parts made it high-end or medium end.. [$$ or $$$]

Sounds about right, entry level race bike, not dept store. Good enough to ensure that this “athlete” will always be what limits the speed, not the equipment.

I spent $1000 on my Cross Check in 2009, built up exactly how I wanted it and fit to me like a glove. I didn't go with any high end components except for a leather Brooks saddle. This was mid-range then and probably retails for a little more now. I'm not sure what the entry point is for a road bike these days, especially for Canada dollars. I would hope $1000 would still get someone in a good bike.

For many riders, Dicks and REI might be good choices to get started. Bikes sold at other discount stores and made by Pacific with brand names you recognize like Scwhinn and Mongoose aren't the same quality those brands were known for. IF they were built correctly, they'll be fine on a paved path and around the neighborhood for a casual rider. If they weren't built correctly, they'll be dangerous. Don't even try to use them off road, even if they are shaped like a mountain bike.
So true. The old standards are long gone. If you have a vintage model they are worth some nice bucks.
I try to support the local bike shop.
They may not be real competitive on price but their service is great.
We are lucky to have a few really good shops within 30 minutes.

Went to 3D print at work today and the extruder temperature went up seriously quickly, overshot and the firmware tripped out. Started looking at PID values and all sorts of things. Turned out one of the Mech engineers had changed the hot head for some reason and put a 12v heater in where there should gave been a 24v one. That was about 100W extra. Returned the PIDs and it is doing nicely again.

Also found a fan that was jammed so I need to order some spares.

Trying to comprehend a new method for tolerance stack calculations..

We, like many manuf. & Eng. departments, tend to 'not' do proper tolerance stack calcs. One of the newer engineers in the dept. is quite good at it, and has a particular method he is trying to teach us. But I am an old goat, and seem to have trouble learning this new methods / understanding it.. and I seem to be quite set in my ways.. (gut feeling / looks about right / experience method..)

And it's frustrating that I don't get it on the 1st pass / 1st few tries..

Back