What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the latest set of plans from the builders. Sent them through to the council to complete an earlier permit application that needed some special notes added to the plans (the notes were so extensive the builder had to go from A3 to A2 plan size to fit them on). Got an answer back in about five minutes, with the plans endorsed and an approval letter for that part! Staggeringly quick for anyone, let alone a local council :) .

Now off to the workshop to complete a rocket prep for Sunday, and fix a toaster.

Last edited:
I think I told you that I was petting the cat and he gave me little nibble and then bit me. I felt his teeth pop through the skin. A couple of days ago a spot he didn't bite started to hurt. Went to Quick Care today. Doc gave me a tetanus shot and a prescription for Augmentin. Hurts a bit still. As in don't touch it. Earlier I took my wife to get her hair done. After the doctor visit I came home and thought about my knee. The one I had surgery on last year. I think I tore the Meniscus again. Good thing I still have all the braces. Later in the evening I regripped my golf clubs. There was some solvent on the floor that I wanted to clean up before the cats came out. Got a bucket of soapy water. Poured some on the floor and scrubbed the floor with a broom. I failed to notice that the sander was still plugged in to an extension cord. Of course the water hit it and most of the lights went out. All the plugs in the garage are dead. So the chest freezer and the fridge and the garage doors don't work. Tried to fix it. Breaker didn't pop. No GFI's in the garage. I'm calling an electrician tomorrow/today.

I think I told you that I was petting the cat and he gave me little nibble and then bit me. I felt his teeth pop through the skin. A couple of days ago a spot he didn't bite started to hurt. Went to Quick Care today. Doc gave me a tetanus shot and a prescription for Augmentin. Hurts a bit still. As in don't touch it. Earlier I took my wife to get her hair done. After the doctor visit I came home and thought about my knee. The one I had surgery on last year. I think I tore the Meniscus again. Good thing I still have all the braces. Later in the evening I regripped my golf clubs. There was some solvent on the floor that I wanted to clean up before the cats came out. Got a bucket of soapy water. Poured some on the floor and scrubbed the floor with a broom. I failed to notice that the sander was still plugged in to an extension cord. Of course the water hit it and most of the lights went out. All the plugs in the garage are dead. So the chest freezer and the fridge and the garage doors don't work. Tried to fix it. Breaker didn't pop. No GFI's in the garage. I'm calling an electrician tomorrow/today.
Cat bites, even minor ones, can be very nasty. My former neighbor was bitten by her cat and just washed and bandaged the wound. Ended up in the hospital with a bad infection and a couple of IV antibiotics. She was older than I am now which was undoubtedly a factor. Still.

Talked to the people today that are supplying a vest that vibrates and supposedly breaks up nasty stuff in my lungs. They wanted me to drive 50 miles to their office to pick it up. I declined, so they are going to drive up here and deliver it and show me how to use it later today, most likely right at dinner time. :D

Prepping saurbraten for family dinner Saturday. 12 lbs of roast been soaking in marinade for a week. Making klose (potato dumplings) and semmelknodel to go with. Foregoing the rotkohl and celerisalat by request. Doing asparagus for a veg. I know, heresy!

Prepping saurbraten for family dinner Saturday. 12 lbs of roast been soaking in marinade for a week. Making klose (potato dumplings) and semmelknodel to go with. Foregoing the rotkohl and celerisalat by request. Doing asparagus for a veg. I know, heresy!
Something I need to learn how to do... cook. 😭 😥 :questions:

Cat bites, even minor ones, can be very nasty. My former neighbor was bitten by her cat and just washed and bandaged the wound. Ended up in the hospital with a bad infection and a couple of IV antibiotics. She was older than I am now which was undoubtedly a factor. Still.
About 12 years ago I cad a cat quietly trying to dismember a brushtail possum under the bed. I grabbed them both out and removed the possum from the cat's jaws and then, you guessed it, my cat fanged me.

Here I am with a large fat cat hanging from the web of my left hand. It hurt like hell. I managed to get his jaws open and get him off my hand.

Cat runs back under the bed.

Possum runs out the window.

I run to the bathroom for peroxide to clean my hand.

"Do you need to see a doctor?"

"No, I'm fine. It will be okay in the morning."

Come the morning, my hand looks like a cartoon inflated glove attached to my skinny wrist.

Had to get driven to hospital as I couldn't grab the steering wheel.

Tetanus shot. Two weeks of antibiotics.

Ah, pets. We love 'em.

My MIL came close to losing a finger because an infected cat bite went untreated for too long. My friend who's an ER nurse practitioner said that if cat bites get infected at all the turn nasty really fast.

Day 15. Though four weeks since I last heard a word from my wife's mouth. Four weeks since we last slept side-by-side. Four weeks since I last brang her a salad for lunch. Four weeks ago... no it does not seem like an eternity. It seems like yesterday.

Anyway today we gathered up a bunch of stuff to donate. I order a couple of extra trash bins for the next few weeks. Straighten out the doordash account I screwed up when I was not thinking straight. Paid the mortgage. Fed Penny. Brushed her some but man her mats are bad.Penny-1.JPG

Last edited:
Something I need to learn how to do... cook. 😭 😥 :questions:
If you see an offer for a discount on meal prep boxes like Blue Apron think about subscribing for a few months. Here in the midwest Kroger grocery stores sell similar boxes in their brand and one called Home Chef. They are cheaper than eating out, but still a premium price for what you get. However, they do come with the right amount of ingredients (usually assume you have things like salt, pepper, and oil) and they have easy to follow, step by step instructions. The recipes are usually simple and it can be a way to learn how to cook while preparing meals to eat.

Taught my (23 year old, non licensed) daughter how to check the oil in the car. She may never be someone who needs to do that, but everyone should know how. She did not argue with the logic or object to the lesson. (When I sain "Hey, Ni, do you know how to check an engine's oil?" she answered cheerfully "I have a feeling I'm about to learn.")

Also, discovered that I've somehow fallen ten days behind on this thread.

Nimbin Mardi Grass this weekend. Random drug testing at three locations in a 20 minute drive. Tested both ways. Six tests in an hour on one person. Great use of resources, boys and girls.
Wow.

I've only been "randomly" drug tested once, and I was told to take a week to study if I needed it.

My son and his family took me out to dinner for my birthday tonight. I had a great sirloin at Carrabba's
Happy Birthday dinner! Its funny, when I go to Carrabas, I do feel the need to get chicken or pasta, but one time I did have a great steak there - not sure why it never comes to mind when I'm there.

Wow.

I've only been "randomly" drug tested once, and I was told to take a week to study if I needed it.

When I started at a company years ago, we had a project that required drug testing to get a pass to go on-site. The company itself didn't have a drug testing policy, but to get the card to go on-site, required random drug testing. The company asked me if I was clean, I said yes, they asked 'are you sure', I said yes (I was, drugs aren't my thing) and I got a 'random' drug test about every other week for 6 months. Nobody else who went on-site ever got tested. . . at first, it was annoying, but after a few tests, they said I could buy lunch on the company any time I went to get tested, so I got 2 hours off and a free hamburger for just not being a drug guy. Having said that, obviously the system was totally broken.

Wow.

I find out less than one hour before testing and have 30 minutes from receiving the paperwork to get tested, 25% of our driver pool gets tested per year and on several occasions I have been tested three weeks straight and 2 weeks straight, so far this year I have had 4 drug tests.

When I started at a company years ago, we had a project that required drug testing to get a pass to go on-site. The company itself didn't have a drug testing policy, but to get the card to go on-site, required random drug testing. The company asked me if I was clean, I said yes, they asked 'are you sure', I said yes (I was, drugs aren't my thing) and I got a 'random' drug test about every other week for 6 months. Nobody else who went on-site ever got tested. . . at first, it was annoying, but after a few tests, they said I could buy lunch on the company any time I went to get tested, so I got 2 hours off and a free hamburger for just not being a drug guy. Having said that, obviously the system was totally broken.

The place where I was offered "time to study" was pretty much the same way. I assumed the managers were told to send a certain number of people for drug testing, so they chose people they were pretty sure would be clean. Where I work now, we had a preemployment screen and automatic drug testing for the entire crew if we're involved in an accident. We're also subject to random testing, but in 10 years I have yet to be asked to take one. Joking aside, its more of an annoyance than anything. I know I'm clean.

Back