What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Up at 4am to setup the timing system for our annual charity 5K. Race went smoothly. The proceeds for the last 8 or 9 years have all gone to the Bo region of Sierra Leone where they’ve been used to provide wells and sanitary toilet facilities as part of a larger development initiative. We’re lucky to have trustworthy and effective partners in Sierra Leone and in the US. The first well we funded was 11 years ago, when a church member originally from Liberia took the funds in cash to his home village sewn into his clothes. We learned early to appreciate having established partners to work with. Our US partner produced the below video ahead of this year‘s event that sums up the work being done in Bo and the fortuitous way we found each other…the student he references is our choir director’s son.

https://vimeo.com/shfoundation/r4cw2022

After all that was over, came home and did my run for the day, 15 miles. Dallas Marathon in 4 weeks and I’m targeting 3:45, so gotta get my miles in. Then I had a giant freaking cheesesteak, fries and a coke. Now I’m sitting with a heating pad on my back and ice on my ankle…this exercise crap is gonna kill me.

Hand scraping 30-year-old self-stick tile adhesive off a plywood floor... I like building rockets much better.

I didn't realize my old scraper is now an antique. :dontknow: I tried a number of different motorized tools, nothing came close to working as well as the hand scraper with a new sharp blade.

1668294159861.png

Hand scraping 30-year-old self-stick tile adhesive off a plywood floor... I like building rockets much better.

I didn't realize my old scraper is now an antique. :dontknow: I tried a number of different motorized tools, nothing came close to working as well as the hand scraper with a new sharp blade.

View attachment 546044

That sounds worse than sanding.

View attachment 546044
Those are the only kind of scraper to use. We have a slightly more modern one, but same basic principle.

Speaking of that, our cast iron pan from the late 1880's is still in near-daily use and (IMHO) better than most skillets of any kind available today.
I won't say it's fun, but scraping can be better than sanding when you get a rhythm going and you have sharp blades.

No dust... When you're working in your home, right beside the gas fired boiler, and it's below freezing outside, no dust is a good thing.

The scraper works great, it actually planes off a thin layer of the plywood leaving a fresh smooth wood surface. Since this is a floor tile job, it's being on your knees that makes it tough(er). Leverage is much more difficult than when you are standing.

Those are the only kind of scraper to use. We have a slightly more modern one, but same basic principle.

Speaking of that, our cast iron pan from the late 1880's is still in near-daily use and (IMHO) better than most skillets of any kind available today.

I won't say it's fun, but scraping can be better than sanding when you get a rhythm going and you have sharp blades.
The boat guy ought a know...

Last edited:
My girlfriend and I went to a Japanese import store, I wasn’t very gracious about feeling confused and dumb in there.

One reason I don’t seriously plan to travel internationally, like ever.

Woke up, got out of bed, dragged a comb...wait, not my song.

Made homemade biscuits and gravy using lard for the biscuits and fried the sausage in bacon grease, as the sausage I use just doesn't have much fat and I NEED fat to make gravy.

Took a friend to Wal-Mart so she could return a 65" flat screen. While I was there, purchased a few items and had my mind boggled by bacon grease being sold on the shelf. Say WHAT? Bacon grease being sold commercially in the SOUTH? What is this world coming to?!?!

Later, my brother-in-law came home from fishing with three catfish, about 2 lbs. each. Gutted 'em, skinned 'em, filet'd 'em, fried 'em. Dinner was GREAT. Played some Traveller online with some buddies.

Tomorrow, going to get some pumpkin spice and make pumpkin waffles Monday for breakfast. I'd make them tomorrow, but don't have the spices and don't feel like going to the store to buy spices before fixing breakfast. Found a nice recipe for homemade pumpkin pie spice, so will probably go with that.

This was from last Friday: The charger for my e-Go electric mower died (quite unusual according to the repair place) a while back. It was 12 days within warranty so I emailed the people and they accepted the charger and agreed it was defective. A new charger was sent via Australia Post. The tracking stalled around 16th October. I set up a query on 8th November and AusPost got back to me. There was a fire in the facility, but my parcel survived and was sent to the next location. No sign of it from there. There answer is for me to ask the supplier to provide me with a new one! WTF :dontknow:. How's that for service. They lose the parcel and expect the supplier to provide a replacement. That is their standard procedure for loss. If the supplier does not agree to replacement then I might get some compensation.

I got a cheap mic to use with my old Windows 7 laptop, it shows perfect dictation when going through the tutorial, so it's working great. The problem is that there is no mic button on the keyboard, and no mic icon shows up in the taskbar on the bottom, and when you say, "start listening" like was also in the setup guide, it doesn't work. :mad:🤬:questions:

Tried to connect two different Logitech wireless keyboards to the old laptop. Our Samsung "smart" TV is about as intelligent as the contents of the litter box, so an old computer used as input would be a marked improvement......

...except that the ritzenfratzen thing simply would not connect. I downloaded Logitech's software to attempt the connection. Two keyboards and three wireless dongles were tried in every possible combination in the two USB ports on the computer. New batteries installed in each keyboard. No dice.:questions:

Tried to connect a Logitech mouse. Worked immediately with any dongle.🤬 What pegged the baffle-meter is that one of the keyboards was used with that computer and with one of those dongles for over a year, with no problems. <insert string of curses here> <flinging breakable objects hither and yon>

Timed lanes/watched little dude's swim meet.
Lunch date for huge bowls of pho with wife.
Went for 2h bike ride on a cool, sunny afternoon.
Now smoking chicken thighs for dinner.

Today is on course for an A+ grade.

Made dinner and 4 meals for later. Lentil stew: lentils, yellow potatoes, onions, garlic, carrots, peas, green beans, polish sausage all in chicken stock. Bring up to a boil and then simmer until potatoes and carrots are done. Freezes very well.

Filling and great on cold days/evenings. Pair with canned peaches as dessert.

Last edited:
Every time I see a comment like that I think, I'll bet it was hard to keep lit.
edit: and see it just happened again. Smoking chicken parts. Ha. I'm just a barrel of laughs.

I imagine a joint with a big chicken shaped lump in the middle, but that's just me.

Flew to Anchorage this afternoon to go back to work... picking up my bird tomorrow night for the first of many trips to and from China hauling more cheap goods for the US market

This week - celebrating the Grey Cup. The game is on Sunday but the party is just beginning today. The athletes arrived Tuesday, this morning was the pancake breakfast and cheerleader dance teams (I missed because I was up late watching Artemis). Festivities really get going tonight with Colin James playing. Tomorrow the CFL awards dinner, Friday and Saturday have street parties etc. and Sunday is the game. Basically a Canadian version of the SuperBowl.

Then next week as the football fans leave, the agricultural fans arrive for a week long exhibition. Agribition is a 1-week farm show with attendees from around the world. It is the premiere agriculture show in the world (I kid you not) with deals and mega deals from small farmers to international conglomerates in animal husbandry to crop technology. Capped off with a multi-day rodeo in the evenings.

Following that, 2 weeks of rest (i.e. Christmas rush) leading up to holidays!

Pulled apart #2 washing machine (12 year old #1 has gone to God) when it made a "bad smell" and failed to proceed last night. Main controller PCB completely fried. Replacement PCB is 75% the cost of a new machine. Only 10 years old, but admittedly it does a lot of work. Now on the lookout for two new washing machines. #bargainingpower

Back