What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Powered up the new main control PCB for a spectrometer I am designing that came in from the manufacturer recently. Working through the test plan. Power supplies came up nicely and within spec. Full load testing of one has been completed one so far, and no hot-spots or other surprises were found, as evinced by the thermal camera imaging. More power supply testing to come and then I'll fit my processor card to the board and pass it to the Firmware team for more development and testing. Adding a USB hub to the board was one of the major tasks. That is the highest risk in this control board design, IMHO.
View attachment 546588
More testing of this PCB. All looking good so far. After much measuring and testing inserted the Processor board, powered it up and the system booted up! Yay :)

Now waiting for two ICs from Digikey to power up the remaining sections of the circuit.

Flew into Los Angeles yesterday afternoon after a trip to Hong Kong, and spent several hours fixing a bunch of issues with the plane. Now enjoying a surprise two days off here in LAX while my supervisor uses my bird to evaluate a new hire flight mechanic. Time to catch up on sleep and enjoy some cold adult beverages!

replaced the full synthetic vale oil in my flugelhorn as it supposedly had a zero evaporation rate, but I would come back a week later and they were frozen, so I switched back to the old brand I used for 30+ years.

Took a trip out to the Pacific Coast of Washington. It was unseasonably beautiful, with cold clear skies. It should be raining sideways this time of year, but I'm not complaining too hard.
IMG_4436.JPG IMG_4439.JPG

IMG_4457.JPG IMG_4536.JPG
IMG_4560.JPG
The cedar tree in the middle would have been old when the Mayflower arrived at Plymouth Rock. It's possible it was young when Genghis Khan rode. The island in the last picture is Destruction Island* and you can just see the lighthouse on it. Back when it was manned, the only way on or off (or resupply) was by small boat when the weather permitted. As you might imagine by the name, that wasn't as often as one might like.

* The white explorers who came through and named places had a remarkably jaded view of the local landscape. Lewis and Clark were particularly bad with places like Cape Disappointment and Dismal Nitch, but Captain Vancouver contributed with Deception Pass and Useless Bay.

the Pacific NW is the one area I never made it to visit.:(
I highly recommend it if you get the chance. Just come in early summer, after the rains stop but before the smoke rolls in. The spot we were staying on the beach was less than an hour from old growth rain forests and about two hours from a small ski resort that looks into the heart of the Olympic Mountains.
We did a bit of inland hiking there (never made it to the coastline) and made sure to also hike in the Mount St. Helens area. This was many years after the eruption. Awe inspiring, much respect.
Mt. St. Helens is a place (like Yellowstone) that shows you how small you are in the grander scheme of things. Did you get a chance to hike down Ape Cave? It's a lava tube left from an old eruption.

Played guitar last night at an open mic I hadn’t tried before. Noisy drunk crowd on a patio at a winery. About 40 degrees out but they had patio heaters. I followed three high school kids with distorted loud guitars trying to be Metallica. Tough to follow with my ears ringing! So I cranked up the overdrive and played Cinnamon Girl. The older crowd appreciated the transition. 😎 Then I went on to play 4 mellow songs as planned. 🥱 Two from Neil Young and two from Mark Knopfler. It was a learning experience.

Forgot to mention in the travelogue above that on one of the beaches there was a pair of bald eagles keeping an eye on us. Or perhaps keeping an eye on our little dog and wondering if she might make a tasty snack. Fun fact: bald eagle calls are high-pitched cheeping noises that sound more like a small songbird than a raptor.

Played guitar last night at an open mic I hadn’t tried before. Noisy drunk crowd on a patio at a winery. About 40 degrees out but they had patio heaters. I followed three high school kids with distorted loud guitars trying to be Metallica. Tough to follow with my ears ringing! So I cranked up the overdrive and played Cinnamon Girl. The older crowd appreciated the transition. 😎 Then I went on to play 4 mellow songs as planned. 🥱 Two from Neil Young and two from Mark Knopfler. It was a learning experience.
Video or it didn't happen ;)

Had another surgery on my right foot first thing this morning. I was developing severe bone spurs at the end of the 4th metatarsal. I had a lot of trouble coming out of anesthesia. I just wanted to roll over and go back to sleep*. I didn't get much last night, stress I guess. Stopped and chowed down at Ihop after (nothing to eat last night). My blood sugar was about 90 pre-op. I sure took care of that! Crutches/heel walking for a week. Glad we're done launchnig for several weeks.

*"get your ass up, this ain't a hotel!"

Woke up at 3am and drove 200 miles from Vegas to Lancaster Ca. then turned right back around and here I am....pooped!! glad I won't have to do that for another few months.

Had to got to a lab for some blood work. She took 8 vials of blood. Then I sanded some 4x4's for the cat tree I'm going to make. I should have bought some more of the pre made ones. The lumber I have is about $200. Could have got two more factory ones for that.

Had to got to a lab for some blood work. She took 8 vials of blood. Then I sanded some 4x4's for the cat tree I'm going to make. I should have bought some more of the pre made ones. The lumber I have is about $200. Could have got two more factory ones for that.
Beware of the commercial ones. Some are undoubtedly good and are priced appropriately. Some (like the one I got for $80) were apparently designed for kittens and small cats. 17-lb Boo makes the thing shake a lot.

Price of lumber can make one wake up screaming. I purchased a 4 x 8 sheet of 1/2" CDX ply last week. Crummy looking wood and a $50.00 price tag.
Jim

Last night, I took my son to his first rock show. It was even at the smaller room of the club I've been to the most. The opening act was Super Guitar Bros. They play covers of classic NES game music with a classical and acoustic guitar. The headliner was Bit Brigade. They played rock soundtrack of Castlevania and The Legend of Zelda while a guy speedruns the games on a big screen. Good, wholesome, nerdy fun and it was great taking my little guy to his first show. He made his way up front and had a great time dancing around and watching the guys play.PSX_20221123_122120.jpg
PSX_20221123_122106.jpg
PSX_20221123_122053.jpg

Then I sanded some 4x4's for the cat tree I'm going to make. I should have bought some more of the pre made ones. The lumber I have is about $200. Could have got two more factory ones for that.
Oh, but I'm sure the cats will appreciate the love and craftsmanship you put into it. Oh, wait, they're cats.

I'm using 4x4's and 1/2 ply. And yes the price was a shock. It's going to be huge. I'm going to have to make it in sections. Those 4x4's are heavy. I sanded the 4x4's yesterday. Today they get stained to match the plywood.

I had to go in the other room when the maintenance guy came to replace the tailpipe under the sink today. Otherwise I'll be watching them like a hawk since I did that stuff for 30 years

took my 5 year old a ride to the park on my powerchair, he's getting heavy. I was 64 today so I was skeptical of the temperature dropping and getting into the 50's where I have trouble breathing, winter is the pits for me.

Back