What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moving a bunch of stuff into the basement in preparation for having our floors refinished in a couple of weeks. Took a break from that to go up to an Art in the Garden event at the local community garden. It turned out that the local food bank had a booth and was accepting donations, so I dropped off about 15 pounds of plums. That saves me an errand on Monday.

Oh, and we're into the Forrest Gump stage of plum season: plum sauce, plum jam, plum cake, plum leather, plum scampi...

Went fishing again, finally got my limit for the first time in a month!
E24690D4-C01B-46FC-8A2E-9139795C72B9.jpeg

Fished from 6 am til 10 am and caught 17 fish. Twelve little “tourist” trout, and these five, from 14 1/2” to 17”.

You know when you have a surfeit of plums when you start bottling pickled plums and dehydrated plums. ;)
We definitely have some dried. We don’t really do much hot canning so bottled pickles plums are out. There’s some residual PTSD from cleaning out family pantries and finding things from three decades before. That puts a damper on your desire to hot can anything.

I’ll break out an old hard drive and send you the rest of the story.

Found the last story I had published (2014) as a printed copy. I could photograph the pages if I can't find the original manuscript. About ten pages if anyone wants to read it - message me if you do. I can't post it here as it contains swearing +- supernatural themes which would probably give the mods a coronary.

<edit> Ripped a PDF from the original manuscript if anyone wants it.

In other news, appear to have wrecked my rotator cuff (again) which is a bit tiresome.

Last edited:
Found the last story I had published (2014) as a printed copy. I could photograph the pages if I can't find the original manuscript. About ten pages if anyone wants to read it - message me if you do. I can't post it here as it contains swearing +- supernatural themes which would probably give the mods a coronary.

In other news, appear to have wrecked my rotator cuff (again) which is a bit tiresome.
tore my rotator on fall #32 and it still hasn't quit hurting, and that was 2 years ago.
I like swearing ;)

woke up from another nightmare, I hate sleeping, what an incredibly huge flaw in the biology of humans, spending 1/3 of your life dead to the world. 🤬 :mad::(

Took a day trip up the highway about 30mins drive in the 1998 Mx5 to Caboolture Aerodrome to visit the Air Museum there. Cool little place too, plus we got there at a time to see both the RAAF Wirraway start up and take off, plus it's RAAF replacement, the Winjeel, also take flight and return to the roost.

An awesome display was being made of an RAAF F111 ejected cockpit section on display by itself without the rest of the aircraft. Cool to see (sorry no photo)

RAAF Winjeel Trainer Aircraft.jpg
View attachment RAAF Wirraway taxi.MOV

View attachment Winjeel into hangar as Wirraway taxis past.MOV

Oh, and we're into the Forrest Gump stage of plum season: plum sauce, plum jam, plum cake, plum leather, plum scampi...
Plumbs pitted, dried, and quartered, placed in a jar to fill it loosely, then the jar filled with decent brandy (no rot gut, but no need to use the good stuff.) Leave it for a year. Plumb brandy and brandied plumbs in the same jar. The same procedure works beautifully with apricots or figs.

Fresh plumbs pitted and sliced into thin wedges, laid like shingles in a greased backing dish and covered with streusel crumbs before baking. When the crumbs are lightly browned the plumbs will be soft. Serve warm. Also works with peaches, nectarines, probably with apricots, or apples (the original). Jave you got good apples up there in Washington? ;)

Ripped a PDF from the original manuscript if anyone wants it.
Eh, sure, why not, I'll give it a read. I believe you have my email address.

We definitely have some dried. We don’t really do much hot canning so bottled pickles plums are out. There’s some residual PTSD from cleaning out family pantries and finding things from three decades before. That puts a damper on your desire to hot can anything.
Make freezer jam. No cooking (well, the pectin has to be boiled for a minute) and the product tastes like fresh fruit. Downside is that it takes up freezer space.

Plumbs pitted, dried, and quartered, placed in a jar to fill it loosely, then the jar filled with decent brandy (no rot gut, but no need to use the good stuff.) Leave it for a year. Plumb brandy and brandied plumbs in the same jar. The same procedure works beautifully with apricots or figs.
We're not much for brandy, so this one is out for us.
Fresh plumbs pitted and sliced into thin wedges, laid like shingles in a greased backing dish and covered with streusel crumbs before baking. When the crumbs are lightly browned the plumbs will be soft. Serve warm. Also works with peaches, nectarines, probably with apricots, or apples (the original). Jave you got good apples up there in Washington? ;)
New York and Michigan think they have good apples. Washington *knows*. ;) By the way, if you can get your hands on a Cosmic Crisp or two, it's worth the premium charge. It's a variety developed by Washington State University, so Washington growers have a monopoly for the next few years. I've seen them relatively cheap a few places lately--they're probably clearing out cold storage before the harvest in the fall.

Make freezer jam. No cooking (well, the pectin has to be boiled for a minute) and the product tastes like fresh fruit. Downside is that it takes up freezer space.
We have a few pots of freezer jam already made up. Plum jam is really good with a good knob of ginger thrown in before blending and cooking. We're a little short on freezer space though, mainly because of the blackberry crop. Once those are turned into pie, we'll have more space (but probably no more plums).

In the Dark and Reggae Got Soul are a couple of other Maytals albums on the 'must listen to' list.

The reggae 'must listen to' list is pretty long... 🤔
For those like you and @hobie1dog into reggae, check out Positive Vibrations on our local where-the-music-actually-matters-no-that's-not-just-a-slogan radio station. Jamaican music of all stripes 9-noon Saturday mornings Seattle time, and available online for two weeks after broadcast.

Back