What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pulled a drive out of a CNC Lathe, pulled the drive apart, identified suspect parts, ordered parts, waiting for parts. Monday I will desolder, with a solder pot, the large filter caps that are beyond their use-by date and measure what they are down to in capacitance.

Printed out my vaccine record for the impending international travel.

Sounds good to me. I hope the low caps didn't break something else that you can't buy anymore. . .or something that gets you an unexpected 'quick path to ground'. I look forward to hearing about your $50 resolution to the $14k problem.

Safe travels when the time comes!

Power electronics can make loud bangs. Always managed to avoid them( except my own) and TV tubes.

Agree and always best to know what you're working with in general. But, knowing the risk and knowing what to look for makes me think OTT is working within his knowledge-base or even expertise. If you're happy that it is old and have a good idea of the problem and the word capacitor is involved, that's at least 70% in my experience. . .

Either way, always good to question yourself and your analysis when working with things that could go bang and make double sure you've done good troubleshooting and are also well protected during the first power-up!

If you're not somewhat scared of high power energy systems (electronic, hydraulic, mechanical etc.) you shouldn't be working on them, IMO. True, some people consider 1500 psi hydraulics to be high power, but if 10ksi systems are your norm, you might get complaisant. Electrical power systems are every bit the same, if not worse. During commissioning of a machine recently, when E-Stopping the machine a DC Rectifier went from 0A to 5000A and then decayed over 5-7 seconds. Nobody hurt or overly concerned, as the test process covered the bad outcomes. Not ready for prime time for sure, though!!! Bad wiring or bad software, not sure yet, but either way a mistake that was caught during commissioning which is when it should be caught for sure if not earlier.

Sandy.

Agree and always best to know what you're working with in general. But, knowing the risk and knowing what to look for makes me think OTT is working within his knowledge-base or even expertise. If you're happy that it is old and have a good idea of the problem and the word capacitor is involved, that's at least 70% in my experience. . .
The 6kW spindle drive is high power compared to what I work on nowadays, but I used to work in the tramways, faultfinding the entire vehicle electronics. Main drives were 275kW motors (one per "truck") and the Z3 series (starting in about 1981 maybe) was chopper drive. The SCRs and diodes in that were the size of hockey pucks. Good fun power electronics, running on 600V DC. I think the main circuit breaker on the tram had a fault current capability of 10 or 20 kiloamps. The actual drive system normally was current limited to 800A per vehicle. We had some good faults on those over the years, including defective current sensors so the wheels would spin when you pushed the go pedal. It is neat to see a 20 or 40 tonne vehicle do that. I also recall another fault where a connection was lost between a couple of components. On closer inspection a busbar that went across the wiring box had evaporated, leaving a copper film on the inside of the box. Big fault current for that one!

We did the odd bit of substation testing too, which was absolutely next level.

Last edited:
hopefully going to get the bandage off my right foot from the surgery today. then going to the hospital for an emergency cat scan of my lungs, I've been coughing for over 3 weeks now and with only having 50% of my lungs working, it worries me since we know my CMT disease is still destroying nerves which operates the muscles. My right diaphragm muscle under my right lung is dead.😱

Cleaning up at work due to a VIP visit from global management next week. It is only two or three years overdue.
What's overdue, the visit or the cleanup? ;)

Better than some people :p
Yeah, a lot of people would get all whiney and nasty if you reched a giant hand into their comfey resting place and picked them up. The nerve! People suck.

During commissioning of a machine recently, when E-Stopping the machine a DC Rectifier went from 0A to 5000A and then decayed over 5-7 seconds. Nobody hurt or overly concerned, as the test process covered the bad outcomes. Not ready for prime time for sure, though!!! Bad wiring or bad software, not sure yet...
Bad software? Why would any software have anything to do with an E-stop?

On closer inspection a busbar that went across the wiring box had evaporated, leaving a copper film on the inside of the box.
Wow, vapor deposition plating is usually done in a vacuum chamber.

Wife found 3/16" or .188 plywood in a pack of 6 pcs that are 3x7 inches at Walmart today. Likely going to make a tool caddy for the desk. Cost $2.44 for each pack of 6 pieces. super smooth finish on both sides. It is double the Dollar Tree price, but none of them have it in my area.

Little smoking action

Attachments

• PXL_20220604_103332893.jpg
    PXL_20220604_103332893.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220604_103336013.jpg
    PXL_20220604_103336013.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220604_101624631.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220604_101624631.MP.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220604_102838963.jpg
    PXL_20220604_102838963.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220603_205312232.jpg
    PXL_20220603_205312232.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 0
Drove 25 miles to buy a cooler that is made by Stanley and it's supposed to keep ice for 36 hours so it will be one to take to the rocket launches.Found an absolutely new fantastic Mexican restaurant as well. Installed the new air fitting on the air hose so that the mini spray gun will be completed. sanded on the lightweight body filler that I put on that GD indigo kit. Then I'm still going to have to put coat number four on it, I hate this launch pad crap

Spent the day wandering around the Art Institute of Chicago. Then wandered up and down and up again only to go back down the River Walk along the Chicago river. Did I mention we walked down and up the river walk? 🙄
Art Institute was interesting. Food at the river walk was overpriced, but the train ride into and out of the city was fun.

Last edited:
Worked a half day because of the knee surgery. Doc doesn't want me on my feet for 8 or 10 hours. The owner has been very understanding. I went in today to give two lessons. First was a new shooter and gun owner. She stared off hitting the target randomly. At the end of the hour she was making a group. She was so happy that she tipped me. Second one was another lady. She had shot some. But needed help. She wasn't using the sights correctly. At the end of the lesson she shot a nice 4" group. They both said they would be back for another lesson. I like giving lessons. It is satisfying to see someone improve because of something I told them.

Spent the day wandering around the Art Institute of Chicago. Then wandered up and down and up again only to go back down the River Walk along the Chicago river. Did I mention we walked down and up the river walk? 🙄
Art Institute was interesting. Good at the river walk was overpriced, but the train ride into and out of the city was fun.

I haven't been to the Art Institute in 3 or 4 years. The last time we were there, they had a really interesting collection of ancient coins and pottery from the Sumerian Era. Seeing items that ancient up close is always awe inspiring.

Started splitting the wood that I cut last year in the Carson National forest. It's been curing for almost a year.
The rack on the left was given to me by a neighbor here in Red River, and was empty this morning. Some of the larger logs on the left will have to wait for a gas powered splitter. Another neighbor will lend me hers as soon as we get some rain here to reduce the chance of fire.

2022-06-05 Split wood.jpg
Carson is closed this year, due to extreme fire danger. We will have to wait for the monsoons to see if they will open it up later this year.

Started splitting the wood that I cut last year in the Carson National forest. It's been curing for almost a year.
The rack on the left was given to me by a neighbor here in Red River, and was empty this morning. Some of the larger logs on the left will have to wait for a gas powered splitter. Another neighbor will lend me hers as soon as we get some rain here to reduce the chance of fire.

View attachment 521882
Carson is closed this year, due to extreme fire danger. We will have to wait for the monsoons to see if they will open it up later this year.
A splitting maul would make much quicker work of those logs than that single bit axe. I have never had the opportunity to use a gas powered splitter, we always had a splitting maul as well as a wedge and sledgehammer for the large tough ones. Its a nice workout though, I miss splitting wood occasionally (didnt miss it as a kid having to split enough wood to feed two wood stoves everyday and we burned mostly oak, hickory, poplar, and some pine).

2 more layers of filler on the tailcone of that darn pos TLP kit, then got 3 of the 8 fins on. got tired and came in to take a shower to get the filler dust off me. Investigated full face respirator masks for future Bondo protection. $40 or so on Amazon.

A splitting maul would make much quicker work of those logs than that single bit axe. I have never had the opportunity to use a gas powered splitter, we always had a splitting maul as well as a wedge and sledgehammer for the large tough ones. Its a nice workout though, I miss splitting wood occasionally (didnt miss it as a kid having to split enough wood to feed two wood stoves everyday and we burned mostly oak, hickory, poplar, and some pine).
The splitting awl, wedge, sledge hammer and chain saws are all back in the shed. I even have a POS Harbor Freight electric splitter back in Goodyear, but it has a hydrolic leak that I haven’t gotten around to fixing.
I started cutting wood in Tennessee, back in the 70’s. All hardwood. That’s when I learned that a cord of wood is 4 ft by 8 ft stacked tightly. Not like they sell it now.
Woke up this morning with a sore back, reminded me that I’m not 20 years old anymore.

The splitting awl, wedge, sledge hammer and chain saws are all back in the shed. I even have a POS Harbor Freight electric splitter back in Goodyear, but it has a hydrolic leak that I haven’t gotten around to fixing.
I started cutting wood in Tennessee, back in the 70’s. All hardwood. That’s when I learned that a cord of wood is 4 ft by 8 ft stacked tightly. Not like they sell it now.
Woke up this morning with a sore back, reminded me that I’m not 20 years old anymore.
I grew up in TN as well, Cleveland area.

woke up at 3:30 am, went to the garage at 4am to work on the Indigo kit, man I'm not enjoying this, NO more paper or balsa ever again.

I have been cleaning out/up my garage. I have been looking in tubs and boxes that have sat for 16 years. I have a pile for garbage, a pile for Good Will and a whole bunch of stuff to still go through. I have been inventorying all my chemicals. I discovered I have 300 lbs of Ammonium Nitrate for exploding targets. AL, MG, KNO3 ammonium perchlorate and a lot of other stuff. It's turning into a treasure hunt. Now last night, oh last night. Last night after 1 am when I was waiting between coats of paint on a rocket. I was standing looking to the north and saw a UFO. It was like a light on a dimmer switch. I happened to be looking at the right part of the sky when it appeared. It was a large ball of light. It was about 10 or 20 times the size of Venus and twice as bright at it's brightest. It slowly got brighter as I watched. Stayed bright about 30 seconds the it started getting dimmer and dimmer. Then it was gone. It seemed to be over town. So maybe 2 or 3 miles. I spent the next several hours watching for it to come back. I want a ride. It wasn't landing light because it was to low and too large. That was not the first time I have seen a strange light to the north. A few years ago I saw a bright blue light that was also large. It blinked on for about 10 seconds then blinked off. A few seconds later it blinked back on in different part of the sky. Then it blinked off. I wish the ET's would land across the street. I want too see an ET and ship before I check out.

Back