What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can’t seem to take a trick at the moment. ‘Sunny with wind’ was today’s weather prediction.

Overnight we had winds exceeding 196 mph (120 mph) in gusts. Packing the chainsaw to clear trees on the road while we take the kids to school.
I knew you’re not Australian! With wind speeds like that you’re clearly a bug-eyed alien on Neptune!

-Actually read the instructions for the next step of the DX3 build - I know what I have to do and assembled the tools, but I didn't actually do it, so I consider this only an "almost" rocket-related item
-Reading a book on Eisenhower and learning many things that I never learned in school: Korean War, Warsaw Pact, Iran 1951, Guatemala 1953, Suez Canal 1956, Hungary 1950s, Bikini Atoll, etc. I wasn't alive during any of the 1950s, but they certainly weren't the "Leave it to Beaver" years that I was taught that they were
-Watched Astronomy videos on finding constellations and deep space objects; I'm slowly starting to find my way around the sky - I can now "arc to Arcturus and spike to Spica" - hoping to photograph the Andromeda galaxy someday
-Refreshing myself on mathematics by watching a pre-algebra series on YouTube - I remember far more than I thought I would, thankfully - hoping to gradually work my way back through calculus
-Made a local hobby store trip, bought some CA and found the nefarious "Chicken & Waffles" chocolate bar there, but I haven't mustered up the courage to bite into it yet
-Tried to relax, succeeded only somewhat - perhaps I need a hammock?
-Acquired a plush tardigrade - every house needs one...

IMG_0857.JPG

Last edited:
woke up at 3am after 4 hours of sleep :mad: drove 20 miles to Charlotte to a mental evaluation treatment meeting.

Last edited:
Found out(confirmed, really) that my home A/C condenser fan motor took a dump. Only lasted 24 ish years… $550.00 to replace because it’s some special high speed motor. Modern motors only run 1000ish rpm. Mine runs at 1500. So two weeks without A/C. Of course the HVAC company owner asked if I was sure I wanted to spend that kinda money on that old a unit. I asked what a new system cost.
Around $5k. Ten percent, I’ll roll the dice.

The restaurant is a training restaurant attached to a college. Three course meal for $30AUD each. Really good experience for the students and the food was really good.

Ball State had a similar restaurant when I went there. Evening reservations were hard to get, but the students always made nice meals. They often had special tasting menus and desert/cocktails around holidays.

Had this little guy show up at work inside a machine. Nice little guy. Set him loose in the grass south of the Store.
456D83CA-3F84-449C-9166-754D9794AB41.jpeg

Apparently a Texas Brown snake. I thought everything was bigger in Texas???

Attachments

• 3F147160-0C04-4333-8B5E-5997F711CD8E.jpeg
    3F147160-0C04-4333-8B5E-5997F711CD8E.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 9032D567-3BC2-4CE9-AA84-8B9E210F920C.jpeg
    9032D567-3BC2-4CE9-AA84-8B9E210F920C.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 0
  • A9AE241D-D9F7-438C-86F2-A542FB7AEDD8.jpeg
    A9AE241D-D9F7-438C-86F2-A542FB7AEDD8.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 0
  • E50CEE4F-6DEA-49CD-BF0B-44DE1547DCCB.jpeg
    E50CEE4F-6DEA-49CD-BF0B-44DE1547DCCB.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 0
Cleaning up at work due to a VIP visit from global management next week. It is only two or three years overdue.

Got a call from our prototyping fabrication department saying their Okuma CNC lathe had stopped working. Spindle drive dead. Quote for a changeover drive is $14k. It is about 25 years old (at least) so I have my suspicions, based on the error code proffered. So power electronics tomorrow :) .

Last edited:
Drove to Vegas for a follow up with the Orthopedic surgeon. I am progressing normally. Yesterday I started going through the tubs of all the golf stuff I collected over the years. Lot of great memories. I found a gallery pass from The Dunhill British Masters at Woburn from 1991. Another pass for the 1990 Open at St. Andrews. I sent a couple of texts to the guys I hung out with in England. One response was " I remember that, I think we might have been drinking ". The middle of July I'm going to Eugene to see the guys and play some golf. Goodwill is going to get a bunch of golf stuff. Before I started thinning the herd I had over 100 golf shirts. I gave away a bunch of golf hats and still have a hundred. Etc, etc. But my garage will be less crowded.

snakes, should be eradicated into extinction

He’s a harmless little dude that eats bugs and worms and grubs. He was full grown. Very chill while I had a hold of him. Since I didn’t know what he was, I wasn’t taking chances and had the glove on. Never once tried to bite.
Better than some people :p

snakes, should be eradicated into extinction
Have fun with the rodent population if you tried that. Snakes are incredibly important to the ecosystem, and especially farmers. You don't have to like them, but please don't try to eradicate them.

just Had a video conference with my lung doctor as I've been coughing for three weeks now and is a little concerning since I only have one working lung. We are concerned as breathing is a little bit more labored so got to get a CT scan tomorrow, Hope I make it till then, I already had one large blood clot in the right lung which helped kill it

Finished installing the other garage door. Only need to finish running wires from the safety beam sensors to the power head. Those little staples are extremely hard to nail in place in tight quarters.

Applied multiple bandaids to puncture wounds on arm. Smudge Pot the kitten thinks that climbing my arm the same way as he does my pants is just fine. When you're on blood thinners the slow ooze seems to never stop.

Have you tried a styptic pencil? Stings a bit, but should stop the bleeding. A must-have if you're learning to shave with a straight razor!

Tried to order a copy of my birth certificate to get a new "Real-ID" driver's license. I've gone through entering all the data three times and it's been kicked out. I'm going to rest for a while before I try #4. (that'a a double #2, I figure...)

Tried to order a copy of my birth certificate to get a new "Real-ID" driver's license. I've gone through entering all the data three times and it's been kicked out. I'm going to rest for a while before I try #4. (that'a a double #2, I figure...)
BTDT. Took my actual, bona-fide SS card from around 1965 to the office an hour away to get my RealId. Nope, that wasn't sufficient. So next time I took a copy of my 1040 form---FAR easier to fake than a half-century-old SS card. The 1040 had my SS number on it. They allowed it....

I ended up driving to the courthouse where I was born to get a sealed copy of my birth certificate for my Real ID. I live an hour away from my hometown, so it was only a small inconvenience. Once I had the birth certificate, the BMV part was easy.

Pulled a drive out of a CNC Lathe, pulled the drive apart, identified suspect parts, ordered parts, waiting for parts. Monday I will desolder, with a solder pot, the large filter caps that are beyond their use-by date and measure what they are down to in capacitance.

Printed out my vaccine record for the impending international travel.

Found out(confirmed, really) that my home A/C condenser fan motor took a dump. Only lasted 24 ish years… $550.00 to replace because it’s some special high speed motor. Modern motors only run 1000ish rpm. Mine runs at 1500. So two weeks without A/C. Of course the HVAC company owner asked if I was sure I wanted to spend that kinda money on that old a unit. I asked what a new system cost.
Around $5k. Ten percent, I’ll roll the dice.
Find a motor rewinder business. Should be cheaper than a replacement and most will do it overnight if you're in a hurry.
Norm

Cleaning up at work due to a VIP visit from global management next week. It is only two or three years overdue.

Got a call from our prototyping fabrication department saying their Okuma CNC lathe had stopped working. Spindle drive dead. Quote for a changeover drive is $14k. It is about 25 years old (at least) so I have my suspicions, based on the error code proffered. So power electronics tomorrow :) .
Power electronics can make loud bangs. Always managed to avoid them( except my own) and TV tubes.

Back