What can happen with no proper retention

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketGeekInFL

Reaction score
Several months ago, I flew my Darkstar Jr. on a beautiful Dual Deploy flight. It was probably flight 3 or 4 on this rocket, and as always I taped in my 38/360 casing. Well when I recovered the rocket it felt lighter than it should and I didn't think anything of it at first. As always I did a quick pack on the chutes and put the rocket back into one piece to carry it back to my spot on the flight line. When I got back to my table I did my inspection of the rocket and discovered the motor was missing. Well my club launches on top of an old dump, and it is very grassy and in one area there is a small bog, which my rocket flew over. I tried to estimate where the ejection took place and did some quick trig in my head to figure out where the motor might have landed. Never did I find it. I even borrowed a metal detector from our club president and searched the field for hours, it was a difficult search as there were many false readings. Probably because six inches below is trash from decades ago. Fast forward to our last launch and I am walking around the flight line checking out everyone's new kits and what not and I notice a casing in less than stellar shape, and realize after a conversation with the person who found it that it is my missing casing. Turns out I was not far off in my search area, but far enough off that I did not find it, however the county lawnmowers did.

So lessons learned here: Use positive retention. If you use tape, know what the hell you are doing. Check your rocket at the recovery point. Make sure it is intact, if not well figure it out. Be prepared to loose things or have things damaged beyond use in this hobby. It is still fun even through the CATO's, lost rockets, etc.

IMG_2345.jpgIMG_2346.jpg

This is why our field requires positive retention. If the sod farm mowers caught a case in its deck there is a good chance we would lose access to the field.

Was the forward closure the only thing salvageable? Kurt

Yes. Though it took some muscle to get off. Probably the several months of Florida rain and humidity. I most likely will not attempt using it though.

Back