Way OT: Check out the Kite I built!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fore Check

Reaction score
Hey gang,

I just wanted to share a few pics of my first sewing project: A big, custom, "scratch built" cellular kite I call a Compound Cody Variant.

(those are my sons in the pics, btw)

CompoundCodyVariant002-1.jpg

CompoundCodyVariant003.jpg

CompoundCodyVariant018.jpg

CompoundCodyVariant004.jpg

CompoundCodyVariant008.jpg

A little background information: Samuel Franklin Cody basically invented the design elements of this kite back around 1900 as a means of lifting people for war observation.

Check out this link for some more background information on Cody and some great pics of other Cody kites: https://www.aero.lr.tudelft.nl/~frits/cody.html

Anyway, I've been into kiting for quite some time (my "other" hobby :rolleyes: ) but I had never sewn a stitch before in my life. My wife bought a sewing machine a couple of months ago, so I thought I'd give some scratch building of my own a try!

Using the pic below as a reference, the kite stands about 8 ft tall, 10.5 ft wide, and 6' deep.

CompoundCodyVariant010.jpg

A kite this size generates a lot of pull in a moderate breeze; I fly it on 500# test line. Flies great too!

CompoundCodyVariant017.jpg

CompoundCodyVariant017_edited.jpg

For anyone wanting to try a similar project (or any other kitebuilding project) I'd be happy to discuss it in detail - and tell you just how much *work* this took to build; it took about a month of my free time. I think it was worth it! :cool:

Wow! :surprised::D Very impressive!

The directions on my 6ft Flexifoil recommends tethering oneself to a stake when fly in moderate breezes. I think I have 300# on mine. It has so much pull I find it the hardest of kites to fly. It tends to have a mind of its own and is hard to tame. When it catches wind look out!!! She is going to take off!!!! .... Unlike my parafoil or delta's.....

Wow. :surprised: Nice!

Almost looks big enough to turn in to an ultralight? Just needs a motor and a seat!

Wow, great looking kite! I'm just this minute about to start my first kitebuilding project(A Teega NASA para wing), though it's a little bit simpler than your beast. If that goes well however, I'll have a go at building a proper foil kite.

The directions on my 6ft Flexifoil recommends tethering oneself to a stake when fly in moderate breezes.

Are you sure that's what they say? Being attatched to something immovable whilst flying a powered-up kite can only end badly. :surprised:

Cheers,
Phil

Wow, great looking kite! I'm just this minute about to start my first kitebuilding project(A Teega NASA para wing), though it's a little bit simpler than your beast. If that goes well however, I'll have a go at building a proper foil kite.

Are you sure that's what they say? Being attatched to something immovable whilst flying a powered-up kite can only end badly. :surprised:

Cheers,
Phil

YEP! For control and that you don't get dragged. It is a power kite and I can't imagine stacking another one on it! You are to wear a harness and connect to stake.

That's an absolutely awesome kite and I'm really impressed!

Very Cool!

Those kind of sewing skills and you're *wasting* it on kites???:lol: ;)

Where's the love for your fellow rocketeers? Chutes man, chutes! :D

Wow. That is very cool ... and huge.

Would love to see that fly.

Maybe even take a ride ... ;)

Here's a thought which must be completely original.
You could launch a rocket from that.

Awesome! Your skills show through not only when you build rockets!

Thanks for the kind words, guys! Even the feedback I've been getting from some seasoned kite builders (like International Grand Champions) has been very positive - especially when they consider that it's my first kite build and I designed and engineered it myself.

It was a TON of work, but I've already started gathering the materials to build another one (not a copy, but a different cellular design I came up with)

It's amazing how much of the skills used in this were "honed" from building rockets (well, aside from the sewing that is...) Measuring, simulating, modelling, precision cutting, alignment, being anal about details, all that stuff. Even the materials are in the ballpark - epoxy (fiberglass) longerons, graphite (carbon fiber) spreaders and spars, etc.

I get the impression from chatting on a kite board that doing this was akin to a new rocketeer sucessfully assembling a L2/L3 ish rocket for their first effort (now, I'm not talking about handling and assembling and flying the motors - just making an anology to building the actual rocket.) Lots of fun, and yet another activity where the end result is enjoying a day at the flying field with the kids!

Seriously, do you tether yourself with that bird? I'm 6' 160lbs dripping wet and I don't think I could stay planted on Terra Firma if I was hangin' on to that thing.

When I saw the first pictures of the kite on the ground, I thought that it had two lines from the ground.

I have some much smaller kites that have the two lines, allowing the flyer to control their motion.

That may be possible with this big beautiful kite, allowing controlled rolls and dives.

Seriously, do you tether yourself with that bird? I'm 6' 160lbs dripping wet and I don't think I could stay planted on Terra Firma if I was hangin' on to that thing.

You *could* fly while holding on to the line if the wind wasn't too strong, but it would grow rather tiresome.

The preferred method is to anchor the flying line to a substantial, stationary object (like a tree, a post, a car bumber, trailer hitch, whatever) and let the kite fly anchored that way.

The anchoring method that I use is a light (ATV sized) tow strap; it's an about 1" wide nylon strap with pre-sewn loops on both ends and is about 8' long and is rated for a couple thousand pounds. I just loop it around the anchor point and clip the flying line to it using a caribeaner (the caribeaner is tied to the end of the flying line itself so it just clips to the anchor strap.) I use the tow hitch area on my truck/Trailblazer a lot because I don't have to depend on some other stationary object being at the flying site.

The (minor) problem that this presents is that your flying site must have enough horizontal space on the ground to accomodate your total length of flying line. In practice, you set the anchor point, clip the flying line to it, and then unroll your flying line (I do this by holding the spool/reel and walking away from the anchor point) until all of the line is unspooled. Then assemble the kite and clip to that end of the flying line via a second caribeaner tied to that end.

To launch the kite, you hold the bridle lines at the tow point and lean the kite (set the angle of attack) to the wind so it will generate lift, and then, while holding the flying line *down*, start walking back to the anchor point. As you walk back, you continue to hold the line down by sliding a gloved hand along the line. This keeps the line between you and the anchor point parallel to the ground and the line between you and the kite going up at the kites flying angle (this depends on the kite, how it's bridled, and wind speed.) Sliding along the line like this is like letting out line so the kite gains altitude.

To bring the kite down, you don't pull it in; you reverse the process of walking the kite line. Much easier to do.

When I saw the first pictures of the kite on the ground, I thought that it had two lines from the ground.

I have some much smaller kites that have the two lines, allowing the flyer to control their motion.

That may be possible with this big beautiful kite, allowing controlled rolls and dives.

A kite like this is designed for lift and stability rather than maneuverability - it is true that you can more or less control any kite with multiple bridle lines like you would a stunt kite. However, trying to do so with this one - compared to a stunt kite designed for the purpose - would be like trying to maneuver a fully loaded river barge as opposed to a small, high powered wave runner. :afraid:

Hey y'all, got a couple more pics up in the air today. Actually, my wife was the photographer this time. :cool:

DSC01672.jpg

DSC01674.jpg

Back